Cracked Vossen CV3: How bad is this?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Cracked Vossen CV3: How bad is this??

Noticed this while cleaning my wheels today. I knew about the curb rash but the crack is something I hadnt noticed before.

That is one of the spokes of my cv3 front wheels. Then inspecting other wheels I noticed another two have things like this

Is this something to be concerned about?

Accord Coupe '09 EX-L I4 with Navi CBP
Mods
6000k HID Low Beams
LED High Beams/DRL
Interior and Tag LED lights
Lamin-X Tint Tail Lights
H&R lowering springs
20" Vossen CV3 9F 10R
Viper security + Remote start + Tilt sensor
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I would be very concerned about this and contact the seller or wheel manufacturer to see what they think. If it were just the wheel with the curb scuff they might try to blame it on you hitting a curb but the second pic doesn't look like you scrubbed a curb with it.

Bottom line, it looks like a safety/warranty issue to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ricko For This Useful Post:
Tom 6-6 (07-16-2014)
post #3 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Yeah on other wheels there is no curb scuffs but the little small crack-like lines are around the spokes. Like 2 out of 5 spokes in two wheels have the look of the last picture.

Mods
6000k HID Low Beams
LED High Beams/DRL
Lamin-X Tint Tail Lights
H&R lowering springs
20" Vossen CV3 9F 10R

post #4 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
6th Gear

One word answer....YES.....It could separate at any time...
post #5 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
One word answer....YES.....It could separate at any time...
Possible solutions?

Mods
6000k HID Low Beams
LED High Beams/DRL
Lamin-X Tint Tail Lights
H&R lowering springs
20" Vossen CV3 9F 10R
post #6 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda Nation

If you still have your stock wheels get them on immediately. If not have your car towed to a garage.

Whatever you do, I strongly, strongly advise you not to drive the car until you have new wheels on it.

That crack is bad. Very bad. It could give way just sitting there.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
post #7 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
I would be very concerned about this and contact the seller or wheel manufacturer to see what they think. If it were just the wheel with the curb scuff they might try to blame it on you hitting a curb but the second pic doesn't look like you scrubbed a curb with it.

Bottom line, it looks like a safety/warranty issue to me.
He purchased the wheels, used, from an individual, with the curb rash and cracks. There is no warranty for them anymore.

To me, it does not look like a safety problem. I doubt the wheel will ever even start to separate anymore unless you maybe hit a big pot hole or a similar object that causes lots of impact to your wheel. I can't imagine the wheel would just completely fail as your driving down the road, no matter what speed your going.

Sucks man. Seems like a perfect instance of "you get what you pay for".
post #8 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

I would not drive on that. It looks like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.

Crappy casting or maybe counterfeits?

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaPlaya View Post
He purchased the wheels, used, from an individual, with the curb rash and cracks. There is no warranty for them anymore.

To me, it does not look like a safety problem. I doubt the wheel will ever even start to separate anymore unless you maybe hit a big pot hole or a similar object that causes lots of impact to your wheel. I can't imagine the wheel would just completely fail as your driving down the road, no matter what speed your going.

Just contacted Diego from Vossen. They will gladly swap the damaged wheels. Tomorrow morning Im going to the shop for the swap. Their have a lifetime warranty for structural damage.so I will end having 3 wheels replaced. They rock!!!

FYI when I bought the wheels the nasty crack wasn't there.

Mods
6000k HID Low Beams
LED High Beams/DRL
Lamin-X Tint Tail Lights
H&R lowering springs
20" Vossen CV3 9F 10R
post #10 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freinando View Post
Just contacted Diego from Vossen. They will gladly swap the damaged wheels. Tomorrow morning Im going to the shop for the swap. Their have a lifetime warranty for structural damage.so I will end having 3 wheels replaced. They rock!!!

FYI when I bought the wheels the nasty crack wasn't there.
Shweeet!
post #11 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda Nation

Good job! Congrats!

If you are driving your car to the shop, however, be VERY, VERY careful. Drive slow, turn slow, brake easy.

I would still consider having your car flat bedded to the shop. That crack is very dangerous, no matter what other people tell you. You have no idea if or when it could give way.

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
post #12 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
"Old School" Shifter

Don't be surprised if they say they are warranted to the original owner for life. Might ask for the sales slip. If not you got a good deal.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaPlaya View Post

Worst. Advice. Ever.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 6-6 View Post
Don't be surprised if they say they are warranted to the original owner for life. Might ask for the sales slip. If not you got a good deal.
They know I didnt purchase from an authorized dealer.

Mods
6000k HID Low Beams
LED High Beams/DRL
Lamin-X Tint Tail Lights
H&R lowering springs
20" Vossen CV3 9F 10R
post #15 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Dan
6th Gear

glad this got resolved...

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.