Cross Drilled Rotors - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Cross Drilled Rotors

Just trying to get some feedback.

Are cross drilled rotors dangerous? I've been doing a ton of reading and not hearing great things. I have Stoptech Cross drilled rotors. I do only daily driving. No racing. No crazy driving.

Thoughts?? Thanks.

-Harrison

Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM
LSA
Grinding Gears

Daily driving with cross drilled rotors is not dangerous. They are mostly for cosmetic purposes, and while there is more risk of various issues occurring versus a regular vented or slotted rotor, that additional risk is highly negligible UNLESS you are tracking/racing, which you already stated that you do not.

The biggest issue with cross drilled rotors is that if they are not engineered correctly, then structural integrity is highly compromised, and are susceptible to cracking or ribbing under relatively extreme conditions. So as long as you drive normally, you'll be okay. If you want peace of mind, just go OEM rotors next time.

Drive on and don't worry about it.

Current
2014 Accord Coupe EX-L V6-6MT MSM
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD Taffeta White

Previous
1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Obsidian Black
The Following User Says Thank You to LSA For This Useful Post:
Hjfowler (06-05-2014)
post #3 of 26 Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjfowler View Post
Just trying to get some feedback.

Are cross drilled rotors dangerous? I've been doing a ton of reading and not hearing great things. I have Stoptech Cross drilled rotors. I do only daily driving. No racing. No crazy driving.

Thoughts?? Thanks.

-Harrison
I have the exact same rotors on my 8th gen coupe and I've been running them for about a year now, and haven't experienced any problem. They dissipate heat better than traditional blank vented rotors, and they look better

They are not dangerous at all. If anything, they are the opposite.

Black Accord EXL Coupe
YouTube Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to milan.mastracci For This Useful Post:
Hjfowler (06-05-2014)

post #4 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan.mastracci View Post
I have the exact same rotors on my 8th gen coupe and I've been running them for about a year now, and haven't experienced any problem. They dissipate heat better than traditional blank vented rotors, and they look better

They are not dangerous at all. If anything, they are the opposite.
Do you have problems with brake dust? I drove the car one day and the brake dust is out of control. I'm hoping it's only because I bedded the brakes. Hopefully it doesn't stay this bad.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjfowler View Post
Do you have problems with brake dust? I drove the car one day and the brake dust is out of control. I'm hoping it's only because I bedded the brakes. Hopefully it doesn't stay this bad.
When you seat your pads into your rotors, you will experience more brake dust than normal. However, the type of rotors doesn't make a difference on the amount of brake dust. The temperature of the rotor, temperature of the pad, and the compound of the pad make a difference. I do get brake dust, however I don't drive my car like a grandma, and the amount of brake dust is minimal. I'm using Hawk Performance HPS ceramic pads. They are great pads and resist heat fade, however the downfall of them is brake dust. I'll see if i can take a picture of my wheels to show you the amount on the wheels.

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #6 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
When you seat your pads into your rotors, you will experience more brake dust than normal. However, the type of rotors doesn't make a difference on the amount of brake dust. The temperature of the rotor, temperature of the pad, and the compound of the pad make a difference. I do get brake dust, however I don't drive my car like a grandma, and the amount of brake dust is minimal. I'm using Hawk Performance HPS ceramic pads. They are great pads and resist heat fade, however the downfall of them is brake dust. I'll see if i can take a picture of my wheels to show you the amount on the wheels.
Thanks. I decided on the Stoptech street performance pads only because I have the stoptech rotors. So far so good, but it's only been two days. My OEM vibrated like crazy due to deposits on the rotors. I'm hoping this combo doesn't have the same issue. I'm going to clean the wheels really well tonight and then see how bad the brake dust is then.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Garage
You have to wait for the rotors to bed the pads completely before you get an accurate representation of the pads. When the rotors have bed the pads, the rotor will look smooth and not have the arcs circulating the rotor. (See Pic)

Take a look at your wheels when the rotors look like this.

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #8 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
You have to wait for the rotors to bed the pads completely before you get an accurate representation of the pads. When the rotors have bed the pads, the rotor will look smooth and not have the arcs circulating the rotor. (See Pic)

Take a look at your wheels when the rotors look like this.

Yes they definitely don't look like that yet. Getting there though. Just to clarify, the bedding process is a series of hard 60-10 decels then a cool down period and then another series of stops followed by another cool down correct??
post #9 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

Bedding process is specific to the pads...

Car: Honda Accord coupe 2005 V6 6-speed saphire blue
post #10 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal View Post
Bedding process is specific to the pads...
I followed what Stoptech's website said for their pads. Hopefully they will be good to go and not pick up any vibration in the near future
post #11 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Garage
You're essentially just wearing down the pads and rotors. Most of the time it is exactly what you said. Speeding up and slowing down will get the brakes hot and wear faster. Make sure when you do the bedding process, you do not stop the car while holding the brakes.

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #12 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Makes sense.

I guess my biggest question is this:
Coming to a stop when the brakes are on and hot can cause deposits on the rotors. Well what about when the car is in park after coming home from work or something. The brakes aren't on, but they are still in contact with the rotors. Is this bad if the brakes are hot? Or wouldn't this cause the same effect because they are still in contact? Or is it ok because the brakes aren't actually gripping the rotor tightly?

Sorry for all the questions. I am still learning.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Garage
Well if you were just pushing your car VERY hard and got the brakes really hot, it wouldn't be smart to just park it. Let them cool down a bit; go for a little cruise and take er easy.

If you do let them sit when its hot, just go for another drive and push your brakes tip they got hot so the deposits 'cook' or 'grind' off. Then let them cool down

Black Accord EXL Coupe

post #14 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM
top gear

I put cross drilled rotors on my 98 Accord V6. Honda, for whatever reason has the poorest factory rotors that constantly warp, and I was fed up.

It was so long ago, but around 3-4 years later after I got the car in 98, in 2002? I put cross drilled rotors on it. I kept the car until just recently ( I sold it and ordered a 2014 Sport Accord) so I ran those rotors for at least 10 years and can happily report that I had ZERO problems. Went through 2 or 3 sets of pads, but the rotors kept on trucking. No warping, no vibration.

I'm just a regular person who enjoys spirited driving, no racing or anything like that.

You better believe when the rotors on my 2014 Accord Sport start acting up, I will be getting high quality cross drilled rotors.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwo View Post
I put cross drilled rotors on my 98 Accord V6. Honda, for whatever reason has the poorest factory rotors that constantly warp, and I was fed up.

It was so long ago, but around 3-4 years later after I got the car in 98, in 2002? I put cross drilled rotors on it. I kept the car until just recently ( I sold it and ordered a 2014 Sport Accord) so I ran those rotors for at least 10 years and can happily report that I had ZERO problems. Went through 2 or 3 sets of pads, but the rotors kept on trucking. No warping, no vibration.

I'm just a regular person who enjoys spirited driving, no racing or anything like that.

You better believe when the rotors on my 2014 Accord Sport start acting up, I will be getting high quality cross drilled rotors.
That's awesome. Exactly what I wanted to hear and what I'm hoping for. Every OEM rotor I have bought from honda has had the same issue. Unreal. The cars are great otherwise, but poor brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwo View Post

I'm just a regular person who enjoys spirited driving, no racing or anything like that

Also, might I ask what brand you have/had?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.