Parking brake cable replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Parking brake cable replacement

My '10 EX-L V6 has a bad parking brake cable on the driver's side.

It's causing the driver rear caliper to drag and I can make the left rear brake release by pulling on the cable from the left rear caliper.

I disconnected both rear parking brake cable and the passenger side moves alot freely, the driver's side feels notchy and has friction.

I see it runs from the left rear wheel well into the plastic panel covering the bottom of the car.

Has anyone replaced the parking brake cable on the 8th gen Accord?
I'm looking for an guide or manaul on what's involved.

-Chris
'10 Honda Accord EX-L V6 | '14 Toyota Highlander XLE
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

It's probably something that's not very hard to do ... I imagine it's just a cable + sleeving mounted along the body length with some brackets and bolts. But probably a million times easier to do with your car on a lift instead of jackstands.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Called local dealer to see how much it would cost to have them replace it...they told me roughly $300....said one hour and half labor for the replacement

Ordered the parking brake cable for the driver's side online...$25

I can see the 3 bolts that holds the cable to the body of the car from the left rear brake caliper, after that it goes under this plastic covering and up to the center console area.

I didn't do a detailed look but it was a glance at the work possibly involved overall. Looks like I can do it in the garage with one side of the car jacked as high as possible.

Has anyone gotten access to the parking brake adjustment nut (#6 in the diagram) thru the console?...IIRC the rear part of the console needs to be removed to gain access to the end of the parking brake cable where it connects to #9 in the diagram.
Attached Images

-Chris
'10 Honda Accord EX-L V6 | '14 Toyota Highlander XLE

post #4 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

I'm almost certain you need to take the console apart to get at the cable adjustment nut. Would have to check against the SM.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
mobiless2

I replaced cables in my 7th gen, not difficult. And yes, you have to remove rear section of console to get to tie down clamp.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
post #6 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiless2 View Post
I replaced cables in my 7th gen, not difficult. And yes, you have to remove rear section of console to get to tie down clamp.
That's what I figured...waiting for the new parking brake cable to come via UPS...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.