Cold Air Intake - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Send a message via AIM to rmarinello27
Post Cold Air Intake

I have a 2008 Coupe V6 and I was thinking about putting in a cold air intake system. I was wondering if 1) is it even worth the money? like will the performance/mpg/horsepower increase that much? and 2) what would be the best brand to purchase for this car?

2008 Nighthawk Black Honda Accord Coupe V6
Window tints all around
18 inch tires with stock rims

Work complete...

V6/Accord Emblems De-badged
Interior LED's (Blue)

To-Do List...

New Rims, Cold Air Intake installation, Tail Light Tints
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Motor City

I don't know much about CAI's but I think the horsepower is 2-5, mpg 1-3 and performance I heard was pretty good from other people who have done it, plus it is good for your car

2010 Accord EX-L
post #3 of 28 Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 AM
7th Gen

I have a 06 accord coupe and installed the k&n cold air intake and got 10hp gain from it plus it is definitly worth it adds more of a growl to the car and increases speed and if used properly can increase mpg's if i can stop punching it lol

Nighthawk black 2006 accord coupe 3.0L V6
K&N cai
Eibach Springs
Grillecraft Mesh Front grilles
5K HID kit
konig 16" rims
2x12'' diamond subs
1000 watt crunch amp
blue LED interior lights
blacked out housing for front lights
blacked out around led tail lights
hyper white led turning signal
Nokya 2500K hyper yellow drls

post #4 of 28 Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaccord06 View Post
I have a 06 accord coupe and installed the k&n cold air intake and got 10hp gain from it plus it is definitly worth it adds more of a growl to the car and increases speed and if used properly can increase mpg's if i can stop punching it lol
I think a cai is a good mod and that K&N is a good company, but how do you know that you got 10hp from it exactly? Good to hear you're enjoying it - I have no doubt the sound and other improvements it provides are a lot of fun!

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #5 of 28 Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 AM
7th Gen

I was just using 10hp gain as an expression because you can feel the difference its not just a simple small gain, not as large as a turbo at or supercharger at all but more than just a spacer mod or mod of that degree

Nighthawk black 2006 accord coupe 3.0L V6
K&N cai
Eibach Springs
Grillecraft Mesh Front grilles
5K HID kit
konig 16" rims
2x12'' diamond subs
1000 watt crunch amp
blue LED interior lights
blacked out housing for front lights
blacked out around led tail lights
hyper white led turning signal
Nokya 2500K hyper yellow drls
post #6 of 28 Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarinello27 View Post
I have a 2008 Coupe V6 and I was thinking about putting in a cold air intake system. I was wondering if 1) is it even worth the money? like will the performance/mpg/horsepower increase that much? and 2) what would be the best brand to purchase for this car?
SEARCH!!! There are MANY threads posted in the 8th gen section about cold air intakes. Searching "intake" will yield great results.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #7 of 28 Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaccord06 View Post
I was just using 10hp gain as an expression because you can feel the difference its not just a simple small gain, not as large as a turbo at or supercharger at all but more than just a spacer mod or mod of that degree
Ok, thanks for the explanation. If your butt dyno says that's about what it is and you're enjoying it I can understand where you're coming from.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #8 of 28 Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM
2011 EX-V6

The K&N website states that the Accord with the 3.5L V6 will gain 10.23 HP 5217 RPM. That seems pretty decent and others seem to acknowledge that it makes a difference. My concern (based on prior experiences) is that my check engine light will come on after having this installed for awhile.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by haa21 View Post
The K&N website states that the Accord with the 3.5L V6 will gain 10.23 HP 5217 RPM. That seems pretty decent and others seem to acknowledge that it makes a difference. My concern (based on prior experiences) is that my check engine light will come on after having this installed for awhile.
Manufacturers like to exaggerate their gains. You will not see a 10hp gain with any intake on these cars. With that said, don't worry too much about getting a CEL. Just be careful with the install. The only thing that can really go wrong is if you damage the MAF sensor. I had a CAI on my car for year and half with no issues.

2012 Legacy 2.5GT - Cobb Pro-tuned - 290whp / 350wtq
Past: 2008 Accord NBP 6-6 Coupe Injen intake for sale! PM for info!
post #10 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
4th Gear

Yeah you won't gain 10hp, simply isn't happening. However you will be able to feel a slight gain, especially on the V6 and with a proper install I wouldn't be worried about a cel. Your only concern should be hydrolocking

2005 Accord 2.4 5-speed coupe *graphite pearl*
post #11 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

A Cold Air Intake is one of the best mods you can do to open up your car's performance. Think of your engine as an air pump, more air in and out = more power. Car manufacturers want their cars to be quiet.

I personally have an Injen RD CAI. AEM V2 is very well spoken of also.
It will NOT cause a check engine light and as long as you get one that is C.A.R.B approved you will not have any inspection issues.

There is a very noticible increase in power. However to get the most out of it you need to get the air out as well. Opening up your exhaust will be the other piece in your performance and fuel mileage plan. Down pipe, mufflers with little or no restriction, hi-flow cat, all will help a lot.

Our cars respond very well to these types of mods.

Have fun and be safe.
post #12 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarinello27 View Post
Performance gains will be marginal at best. The engine torque target will be unchanged as the ECU will still run the same program.

Do it for the acoustics.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
So you guys actually thing you'll fell 2-4hp? No The gains aren't peak. The 10 hp is right where you want it. In the mid-range. 2-4hp is right at peak which youre not gonna be at 24/7 or you will indeed not gain mpg's. Import tuner and other mags indeed get 10hp or even more on cars depending on the motor they are testing. Some cars have crappier stock intakes than otheers. But you can bet the J-series V6's gain 10hp +. Just like J-series motors gain a lot from j-pipes or headers (15-30hp). Spend cheaply on ebay intake. you bed you'll get little power. Spend decent money for say Injen, AEM V2, or Takeda and get 8-12hp and 10-15tq. HP isnt every thing. Low-end to mid-range tq is the most gain you feel.

Desmond,

2013 Honda FIT Sport w/ Navigation
5000k HID's, Leather seats, Full Harmon Kardon System System, Cusco Mid-Brace. 10mm rear spacers, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, HPS short ram intake and Tein S-Tech springs with race header and more to come

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Honda View Post
A Cold Air Intake is one of the best mods you can do to open up your car's performance. Think of your engine as an air pump, more air in and out = more power. Car manufacturers want their cars to be quiet.

I personally have an Injen RD CAI. AEM V2 is very well spoken of also.
It will NOT cause a check engine light and as long as you get one that is C.A.R.B approved you will not have any inspection issues.

There is a very noticible increase in power. However to get the most out of it you need to get the air out as well. Opening up your exhaust will be the other piece in your performance and fuel mileage plan. Down pipe, mufflers with little or no restriction, hi-flow cat, all will help a lot.

Our cars respond very well to these types of mods.

Have fun and be safe.
Have any dyno proof or just a general statement? A cai is a mod that just about everyone does, they're not that great in terms of gains on the average car. Many people just like to think they got more power than they did because of the money they spent. More air in and out equals more power? Little more in depth than that. You could have a huge open 4 inch piece of pipe coming off you intake, your not going to get more power, they amount of air being allowed in is limited by the throttle body and the amount the engine can flow in and out isn't really increasing. Now colder denser air is different. I agree opening up your intake and exhaust will obviously have some gains, just not as many as people think. Some people take the claims from the manufacturer and add up their cai and catback and claim they gained 20hp when in reality its like 5-10, again on average cars.

2005 Accord 2.4 5-speed coupe *graphite pearl*
post #15 of 28 Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmac9128 View Post
Have any dyno proof or just a general statement? A cai is a mod that just about everyone does, they're not that great in terms of gains on the average car. Many people just like to think they got more power than they did because of the money they spent. More air in and out equals more power? Little more in depth than that. You could have a huge open 4 inch piece of pipe coming off you intake, your not going to get more power, they amount of air being allowed in is limited by the throttle body and the amount the engine can flow in and out isn't really increasing. Now colder denser air is different. I agree opening up your intake and exhaust will obviously have some gains, just not as many as people think. Some people take the claims from the manufacturer and add up their cai and catback and claim they gained 20hp when in reality its like 5-10, again on average cars.
Your condensending attitude is offensive. I have a 03 V6 6speed with extensive bolt on mods. My car which I've had for 8 years is WAY quicker than a stock V6. I have outperformed G35's, 250Z's, BMW 3 series, M4's Mustang GT's and just about everythng else out there other than some F.I. cars & some V8's. Please don't tell me our cars don't respond well to intake & exhaust mods.
I see you have a 4cyl. you probably don't even care about performance or you would have bought a different car.Thanks for playing, "tell him what he won John!!"

Advertisement

Tags
cai, cold air intake, performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.