Are Honda Engineers really that dumb? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Stayin Classy...

Send a message via AIM to StreetLethal100
Are Honda Engineers really that dumb?

Why should we use aftermarket intakes?

The Honda engineers didnt just throw a bunch of random tubing into the car and call it done. They computer analyzed how the air flow comes into the engine and tuned it to match the engines needs.

There is a giant reservoir of cold air in the fender and its all water proof.

Can an after market intake really help that much? If it did, why wouldn't the designers just put an aluminum intake in the car to start if it supposedly gets better gas mileage and performance.

Aluminum can disperse heat very well but it can also absorb heat just as fast. I had an intake in my subaru and when I opened the hood after driving, it would be super hot. How in the world can that be any better then the plastic tubing it has now?

What are you thoughts?

jeb likes this.

'13 EX-L V6 6AT
Previously '07 EX-L V6 6MT
Previously '97 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT 5MT
Previously '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
'02 Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700cc
Previously '07 Kawasaki ZX6R
Previously '04 Suzuki SV650S
'07 Husqvarna TE510
Previously '09 Husqvarna TE450
Previously '97 Honda CR125

Official Spotted Thread: New England

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal100 View Post

The Honda engineers didnt just throw a bunch of random tubing into the car and call it done. They computer analyzed how the air flow comes into the engine and tuned it to match the engines needs.

Can an after market intake really help that much? If it did, why wouldn't the designers just put an aluminum intake in the car to start if it supposedly gets better gas mileage and performance.

Aluminum can disperse heat very well but it can also absorb heat just as fast. I had an intake in my subaru and when I opened the hood after driving, it would be super hot. How in the world can that be any better then the plastic tubing it has now?

What are you thoughts?
I agree.

I don't know how many times I have read that someone will put a CAI on and then complain that their engine stalled while driving through water, or the computer threw an error code.

The Honda engineers have been doing this for a long time, and pretty successfully, too.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 AM
2008 Acura TL-S

Honda wanted to find the right balance between performance and quietness. Unlike some people on this site, they don't want the loud raspy growl that comes from an aftermarket intake. Old people buy the cars too. Honda was trying to satisfy old and young alike.
Merc6 likes this.

post #4 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM
I snapped my G string....

Send a message via Yahoo to Honda247 Send a message via Skype™ to Honda247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
Honda wanted to find the right balance between performance and quietness. Unlike some people on this site, they don't want the loud raspy growl that comes from an aftermarket intake. Old people buy the cars too. Honda was trying to satisfy old and young alike.
I agree. I like that my car is quiet. My buddies car has a CAI and it is noisy.

2009 Civic EX TW
K&N Drop in Filter (33-2342)
Eibach SportLines (4.3140)
Apexcone Raptor V2 35W 5000K HIDs (9006)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k High/DRL (9005)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k Fogs (H11)
Painted Engine Cover

FRANCI5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Stayin Classy...

I dont mind the noise. It does sound nice and it does look nicer in the engine.....

But that aside, I spent nearly 250 bucks on a weapon R intake for my subaru last time and if it only makes noise and looks pretty it wasnt worth the money.

Are the aftermarket intakes worth the money you spend on them (performa

Now I had a ram air, if I purchased another one it would be a cold air. I would think about insulating the pipe inside the car to block heat. Now Im sure I can get a cheap intake now because I drive a honda....everything for honda is dirt cheap. But still, I just dont know if its worth it.
DarkHorseMBA likes this.

'13 EX-L V6 6AT
'07 Husqvarna TE510

post #6 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
2008 Acura TL-S

Quote:
I dont mind the noise. It does sound nice and it does look nicer in the engine.....

But that aside, I spent nearly 250 bucks on a weapon R intake for my subaru last time and if it only makes noise and looks pretty it wasnt worth the money.

Are the aftermarket intakes worth the money you spend on them (performa

Now I had a ram air, if I purchased another one it would be a cold air. I would think about insulating the pipe inside the car to block heat. Now Im sure I can get a cheap intake now because I drive a honda....everything for honda is dirt cheap. But still, I just dont know if its worth it.
That would be up to you and what's important to you.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Low Gear

Quote:

Aside from flow, we should also add that volume and pressure is (more) constant in the big ugly thing.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #8 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Aside from flow, we should also add that volume and pressure is (more) constant in the big ugly thing.
Agreed. I would think the higher flow is offset by the lower volume due to expansion of the hotter air passing through it. With all the cars I've owned one common condition I've noticed is that there is always less feeling of power in the hot summer days than there is in colder weather or when the the car is first started after cooling down completely.

'09 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Nav
Taffeta White
post #9 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Stayin Classy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim8EL View Post
Agreed. I would think the higher flow is offset by the lower volume due to expansion of the hotter air passing through it. With all the cars I've owned one common condition I've noticed is that there is always less feeling of power in the hot summer days than there is in colder weather or when the the car is first started after cooling down completely.
So are you for an intake...or against? I dont really follow which one your saying is better. Sorry im a bit slow today..

'13 EX-L V6 6AT
'07 Husqvarna TE510

post #10 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Too old to tolerate

Quote:

What are you thoughts?
Hail to StreetLethal. I thought I was the only one with the same rationale about the CAI/SRI. Also, why I want to defy years of R&D because of a nice ad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim8EL View Post
That's the Ideal Gas Law, which is a combination of Boyle and Charles' Laws

Quote:
So are you for an intake...or against? I dont really follow which one your saying is better. Sorry im a bit slow today..
I think he is against it. BTW, soon the aftermarket folks will say Honda is wrong, K&N, AEM, Weapon R are correct

Regards,
Rafael
post #11 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
6th Gear

Quote:

+ one

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #12 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
01 Accord EX V6

This is not going to be the spot to talk about CAI I just got for my wifes car. Would it? Ha ha. I guess I just like the growl it makes.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Second gear slammer!

cai

ive had both. noticed a diff in both. and if ur trying to lighten the car up every oz. helps, get that big dumb box outta the fender it weighs like ten pounds. i just put my cai i tigged up in. and its n-n-n-n-nasssty. good sound. good performance and it looks nice. and as an added bonus its way lighter
post #14 of 33 Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 PM
out of control

They used their intake to maintain quietness that most people would want and prevent hydrolock, at least in an accord. Honda did not build the accord to be a fast car so...

As what most people always think, $200 will not buy you 100HP. Every bolt-on will add up to make a big difference.

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

post #15 of 33 Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 AM
24th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Accordguy04
Well not sayin anything bad about the engineers but it obviously is better and does make more power, and for the whole water thing its easy... DON'T DRIVE THROUGH GIANT PUDDLES! Should be common sense. haha

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.