Are Honda Engineers really that dumb? - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 33 Old 08-16-2015, 02:12 PM
2013 Accord Coupe HFP

I put the Injen CAI on my 2013 6MT coupe. While the sound is nice and aggressive, my butt dyno felt a 7-9 hp gain (Injen advertised 5-7). This could easily be dismissed but when I had a guy who sells them take my car for spin he said he felt more like a 9-11 hp gain. Now you may want to call BS but the kicker is I hadn't told him about the mod until after he said this.

Truth be told we can't really know without a pre/post dyno and I'm sure tuning would be needed to maximize effect.

But in getting to the original question, Honda and every other company is about maximizing profit and minimizing cost. Aluminum is orders of magnitude more expensive than plastic especially when you factor in not just raw materials but manufacturing. Plastic is made with cheap molds. Aluminum requires machining, laser cutting, melting, etc.

Compare the cost to a 2 at minimum and 11 at maximum gain in hp and its just not cost effective. However if there was no gain, you wouldn't see them on expensive cars like Mustang Shelby's where cost isn't so much of an issue.

Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 09-21-2015, 01:36 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

OEM intakes are cheaper. Yes they're designed for the engine's needs. But the mfr has a projected profit, the dealers' gross profit is around $2,000 per unit, more on Touring models. That's why we swap RSBs, add FSBs, swap the audio head unit,,,, that's why we mod.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #33 of 33 Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal100 View Post
Why should we use aftermarket intakes?

The Honda engineers didnt just throw a bunch of random tubing into the car and call it done. They computer analyzed how the air flow comes into the engine and tuned it to match the engines needs.

There is a giant reservoir of cold air in the fender and its all water proof.

Can an after market intake really help that much? If it did, why wouldn't the designers just put an aluminum intake in the car to start if it supposedly gets better gas mileage and performance.

Aluminum can disperse heat very well but it can also absorb heat just as fast. I had an intake in my subaru and when I opened the hood after driving, it would be super hot. How in the world can that be any better then the plastic tubing it has now?

What are you thoughts?
honda engineers designed the intake with fuel economy, being quiet as their main goals. it is not geared toward performance. the accord is a family car, it's not a sport car doesn't matter it comes with a 2 door version and the sport version. the after market intake would help if u do a little bit of modifying to it, lots of people get the pipe bended around infront of the condenser and that's where you would get the most cold air.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.