Type of Tint May Impact Signal Reception - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Garage
Exclamation Type of Tint May Impact Signal Reception

Just sharing an observation for those considering window tints.

Prior to getting metallic-based tints installed on my 2017 Accord, I've read and asked people with metallic-based tints whether they have noticed a difference in radio, navigation, and cell phone reception quality. Most people have reported no impact with navigation and cell phone reception and there were mixed reviews (from people) regarding radio reception. Based on what I've researched online, it mostly stated that AM radio reception would be affected but to a lesser degree FM radio reception. And prior to my decision to proceed, I had asked the installer what other customers have reported and he indicated that it was not a problem. So after much consideration, I felt that I would not consider it a deal-breaker if radio reception were compromised since most of my listening is on Pandora or stored digital music...or some CDs (if I can find where I have them stored in the house!)

The radio reception was very clear in my 2017 Accord (both AM and FM), and while I rarely listen to AM radio (for traffic and news) and occasionally FM radio, after having the Llumar ATR series metallic-based tints installed, I have noticed a considerable degradation in radio signal strength. If the antenna were on the exterior (like a shark fin) instead of embedded in the rear window, it may not be an issue. Now, when comparing my 2017 Accord with my 2003 Infiniti G35 that has Huper Optik ceramic-based tints, I have personally noticed that there is in fact a difference in radio signal strength between the two tint types (ceramic-based tint versus a metallic-based tint). My 2003 Infiniti G35 has NO degradation/distortion of [AM or FM] radio signal strength.

From a heat rejection standpoint, while I have no quantifiable measurement to share, I have not felt a difference in performance between the two tint types.

So, in summary, I hope those considering tints find this information useful in assisting them with their decision. Happy Tinting!

2017 Accord Sedan Sport 6MT (San Marino Red) - LLumar ATR 40% doors / LLumar ATR 30% rear window

What else is in the stable?
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT (Diamond Graphite) / Prem Pkg / Navi / Aero / Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic / K&N Filter (206k miles)

2018 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited / Starlink Navigation & EyeSight Driver-Assist Pkg

Traded
2005 Acura TSX 5AT (Satin Silver) / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic (190,782 miles)
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I can see where metallic tint would mess with the antenna, since the antenna is on the rear glass like the defroster wires.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Garage
I guess what piqued my curiosity is when some people stated that they did not notice any radio reception issue--and the tint shop said the same [that customers have not reported issues]. And since there is a somewhat reasonable price difference between ceramic and metallic, I thought that I'd give it a try.

Of note, the tint shop does offer Llumar's ceramic-based tint and did not up-sell me on it. Maybe people don't use AM/FM radio as much now with other listening options?

2017 Accord Sedan Sport 6MT (San Marino Red) - LLumar ATR 40% doors / LLumar ATR 30% rear window

What else is in the stable?
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT (Diamond Graphite) / Prem Pkg / Navi / Aero / Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic / K&N Filter (206k miles)

2018 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited / Starlink Navigation & EyeSight Driver-Assist Pkg

Traded
2005 Acura TSX 5AT (Satin Silver) / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic (190,782 miles)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.