Custom Headlight Build Thread (15' Sport) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 2 Post By ImpulseImage
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Custom Headlight Build Thread (15' Sport)

As we all know, the design of these projectors and light throw is lacking. I decided to take them out and figure a way to maximize my light output and possibly add some other goodies inside! I bought another set of OEM V6 Style headlights so I had little downtime on the Accord, recieved them in the mail and OH NO!; The lens was scratch like hell! So I basically used all of the V6 internals except lense and used mine, which was flawless; which is identical minus there LED DRL board which was getting ditched for some Morimoto XSB (Switchback) Strips. I didnt like the look of sticking the strip in there and still have the ability to see the chrome reflectors for the factory DRL and like the "black out" look so I used some hobby grade 3.5mm masking tape and layed it behind the inner DRL lens then off to the paint booth! Once paint has cured, I forgot one thing! The amber side reflector sticks out like a sore thumb so popped that bad boy out and back to the paint booth for a satin black color to match the sheen & texture of the headlight bezel. once all painting was done, time to install the goodies.

As mentioned previously, I am not a huge fan of Hondas projectors and not to mention, they ARE PLASTIC , so any use of HIDs would over time detroy them with heat, so FYI for people looking to do a PnP HID swap, think twice and decide if you want your car to last or a flaming inferno because of cheap headlight internals. I used a Morimoto TL-R BIXENON projector which is all metal and can withstand the heat of HIDs and it functions as a high and low beam all in one using just ONE bulb (BOOYA!) I decided to give LED bulbs for the projector a try and I was amazed at the light pattern and throw. Reason of being a little skeptical about installing LEDs is because they do not have a full 360* light pattern as an HID would, because LEDs are all digital using a PCB board with 2 LED chips soldered on each side, but the Morimoto 2Stroke LEDs have a silicone 'bubble' that allows light to be broadened more effectivley having a wider light pattern inside of the projector.

I liked the look of one strip at the bottom to serve as a DRL and turn signal but felt like something else can be added, so BAM! i added a 80mm Morimoto XSB projector halo. Same kelvin ration as the strip so they are the exact color.
Check it out!

Before Picture of the headlights, nothing to go crazy about but they DO have a visually pleasing design that has room for improvement and thats what I did.

Factory:

Dull Factory cutoff line:

Taken apart:

PLASTIC Projector (OEM):

Morimoto TL-R:

Adding the strips:

Adding Halos:

CLEANLY routed the wires outside of the headlight, NO MOISTURE:

FINAL PRODUCT:

salcuta and romie23 like this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM
pessimistic optimist

They look very nice! Very professional looking finished product, why no out-put pics?

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2017, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

How did you secure the Morimoto 2Stroke LED H11 bulb on the TL-R projector case which uses D2S bulb?

'16 Accord EX 6MT LSM

post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
They look very nice! Very professional looking finished product, why no out-put pics?
Thanks boss, I had some on my Note 7 but the govt wanted it back! So I lost pictures I will snap some more and post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticle View Post
How did you secure the Morimoto 2Stroke LED H11 bulb on the TL-R projector case which uses D2S bulb?
The projectors come with a mounting ring. I took the base off of the LED bulb, basically all it does is twist off and then I put the base inside of the headlight and then tighten down the retainer ring for the projector and then grab the LED module pushed it in, and twisted it and it fits nice and snug

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-01-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.