de/re modding a moded 01 rod - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
18Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I have a cheapo tablet running Android that I might try to work into that spot...hmm...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

No time yesterday to lift the coupe and get started on the coil overs. But there was enough time to eek out a few creature comforts. One of those is the iPod interface on the Sony XAV-65. The front mount port directly below the volume control is an everydrive/everyday PITA. The idea was to eliminate the iPod itself by loading files on a USB mini flash drives. These things are dual edged sword. Size makes them ultra portable but they are very easy to lose. In this application, it would spend most of its life in the port, so losing it would be less of a concern. A mini drive was reformatted and loaded up with several hundred ALAC files. Eliminating the USB A, molded strain relief and cable looks great, huh?

Name: USB_NoWorkie.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 40.5 KB

Alas... for reasons only Sony could explain, their software will recognize and decode ALAC files stored on an iPod, but when using a bulk storage device as the file server, it will only decode mp3. NOT cool. First of all, I've a long standing disdain for hyper compression techniques. Secondly, even though the ill effects of compression might not be heard in the 01 coupe when traveling freeway speeds, storing files on the drive would require reformatting 1/2 terabyte of existing files just for playback in 01. That's a no go, Captain.

So... keeping with the theme of improving driver comfort, a small improvement to the USB cable was made. Its still in the way of the volume control form the driver position, but not quite as "add-onish" as when it hung down in the console space. That compartment is easier to access now that Torque replaced Scan Gauge.

Name: USB_StatusQuo.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 35.9 KB

An unused phone mount was stuck in the passenger side center air vent. Dangling cables is a personal no-no so I needed a way to deal. There are several solutions for a more-or-less hidden cable, given the temporary nature of this phone/Torque App usability effort, I opted to simply route the power cable from the accessory port USB/V_Gauge adapter behind the dash, up thru the air vent where it joins the temporary phone mount. No dangling cable. A more eye pleasing location will be developed, but for now, the phone is much more usable than when it sat in the console pocket.

Name: TorqueForNow.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 60.2 KB

With enough time on hand and a few available fugly LED fixtures, foot well lights were added. These are the same lights used up front in the 99 bumper cover conversion - and the door mounted puddle lights. They make great light but are too ugly to be seen. Finding a place to use them for lighting while hiding their fugliness is always fun. Entry illumination looks nice now.

Name: FootwellLights.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 20.8 KB

If life doesn't get in the way of car tweeker fun, there might be time to lift her and get started on those coil overs today. We'll see.

enne likes this.
post #33 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
pessimistic optimist

The odds of a carjacker being able to hide in your car have now dropped to 0! LOL You have inspired me to improve my puddle lighting situation sir, Thank you, and curse you all at the same time :p

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals 150K and climbing
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
Future: H&R springs, Koni yellow struts

post #34 of 41 Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I ordered a Bluetooth scanner and I might do some preliminary fitting for that tablet in the front cubby. I'm thinking of getting two of those spring-loaded tablet holders, connecting them back to back and use one to hold the tablet while the other one is clamped onto the outside edges of the cubby...

Those puddle lights look great! And the re-routed wiring for your Torque device looks very clean.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
AnotherDriver likes this.

post #35 of 41 Old 10-30-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Best of luck. You may want to look into "ES File Explorer" - available on the playstore. It's the rough equivalent of Windows File Explorer - makes accessing and managing files from the tablet GUI super easy. Have you hooked up your tablet to PC to make sure you can see its files structure?

Hope all goes well.
post #36 of 41 Old 02-01-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Update...

Fixing suspected underhood exhaust leak. Head stud nuts came off drama free. B pipe flange nuts and brace bolts were not as easy.

Head to header gasket looks OK. Header collector to B pipe seals nearly disintegrated upon disassembly.

Name: Gaskets.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 50.3 KB

Before/after head clean up.

Name: Head_Before_After.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 54.1 KB

Before after header flange clean up.

Name: Flange_Before_After.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 70.3 KB

Couple weekends ago, swapped out a Pioneer AVH-3700 for an AVH-4800 in the 06 Ridgeline. Nice upgrade.
Last year, I dropped a Moto X which made a perfect upper left cornor landing on concrete. The phone looked like evidence from a crime scene. I replaced the display - but it was never the same. Last couple of weeks the touch screen started going nutty - eventually evolving into a frustrating mess. Replaced it with a Moto Z Force which uses USB C for serial and power interface. GUH. So while the 3700 was going in, the phone mount and cable was changed accordingly.

The 3700 replaced the funky and not-so-easy-to-use Sony. Another nice upgrade. Reuse & recycle.

Name: HeadAndPhone.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 48.4 KB
enne likes this.
post #37 of 41 Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The locking nuts on the rear KSports were so totally corroded there was no saving them. Chain vise grips, industrial heat gun, pipe wrenches, banged knuckles - there was no budging these farging bastages.

Name: Shocking_0.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 34.5 KB

The lower body on the fronts threaded right off but the locking nut wouldn't. Picked up a pair of rings and split the available threads to raise her front end a tad.

Name: Shocking_2.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 75.0 KB

Right now, she's rolling on house brand Discount Tire 225/40 18 rubber. As I understand it - they are cast in a Continental tire factory. After a thousand miles or so, they seem like a good value (read: "cheap"). We'll see how they hold up over time.

KYB "Strut Plus" bolt ons in the rear raised her up to spec height. The Newly adjusted KSports went back on for now, another pair of KYB's are standing by for an open weekend afternoon to appear.

While she was up on jack stands for the shocks and tire swap, the rear bumper cover was popped off and swapped back to original. Before doing that, I installed a pair of high intensity LEDs in the license plate recess, added a pair of LED license plate bolts and wired up a rear view camera. The muffler replacing the stupidly large GReddy looks like a poorly thought out add on - but - even though the pipe is weeny, it makes a nice, peppy 4 banger mild bellow. Maybe some black paint would tone it down a bit.

Name: Shocking_Muffler.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 60.9 KB

Back up lights do a great job of illuminating things for the camera:

Name: BackUpLights.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 36.3 KB

How she sits right now:

Name: Shocking.jpg
Size: 51.2 KB
enne likes this.
post #38 of 41 Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Wile the dash was apart for the Pioneer install, found the time to deal with the visual "tell" this car used to be an automatic. Popped out the gauge panel, disassembled and installed a new fuel/temp gauge - eliminating the old P,R,N,D.

Name: GaugeOut.jpg
Size: 55.1 KB

Done

Name: Done.jpg
Size: 35.3 KB

Also played with some old school LED's bringing a soft glow to dark areas on the console. Started with this:

Name: Pile_O_Parts.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 58.1 KB

Ended up with this:
Name: Console_Pocket.jpg
Size: 28.0 KB
Name: Drink_Holder.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 38.6 KB
enne likes this.
post #39 of 41 Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Getting close to the end of de/re mods to the 01 coupe. On a recent daily commute, a very strange brake system noise suddenly appeared. SIGH.

A bleed and full inspection was in the plans for summer time, but Murphy had other ideas how I'd be spending time between bands of rain passing thru the area. I thought throwing on new pads would be a quick fix and while she was up on stands, its the perfect time to install the KYB shocks sitting for several weeks. A quick trip to the parts store for some Wagner TQ pads and Dot 3 fluid and I was ready to tackle the job.

The odd noise was coming from the driver side front but the sun was shinning on the passenger side so I started there, finding PLENTY of meat on the pads. Uh Oh. Moving to the driver side, the inner pad was worn nearly all the way to the back plate. The "sing finger" was shiny from contacting the disc.

Name: PadComparo.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 33.2 KB
Name: PadInner.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 75.8 KB

This car has a very strange corrosion profile. Her bones are nearly flawless, sub frame, structural ribs and such show no signs of rust or surface corrosion, but certain bolt heads, the old coil springs, caliper casing and some of her fittings look like they were once exposed to salt water. And every time I've been under her, I'm amazed at the volume and location of spider webs. WTF? Really.

These are brakes. Not really an area of maintenance to go cheap on. And I don't have time to diagnose or screw around. I opted for new (reman) calipers from Auto Zone Duralast house brand. Life time warranty, $34 each. already mounted on brackets. Slam dunk.

One of the things that always bugged me about brake jobs is dealing with fluid leaking out of the brake line while removing and reinstalling calipers. Before there were banjo fitting, I usta use vacuum caps slipped over the threaded male end of the flex hose. When I first bumped into banjo bolts, I did the same thing, but slipped the caps into the banjO then threaded a bolt into the cap cavity expanding it out enough to seal the fluid ports. Nifty way to stop the bleeding while you do other stuff. Plus it keeps air bubbles from creeping up the line. And I've got an irrational fear of getting air into the ABS thingy.

Bad photo but you get the idea. There's a glimpse of the new shocks in there too. :-)

Name: PlugTheLine.jpg
Size: 35.2 KB
Name: PlugTheLine2.jpg
Size: 51.4 KB

Anyhoo... No real drama. Put her back together, bled the front end until fluid ran clear, and went for a spin. After seating the pads, I hit the go pedal hard.

OMG! The difference new shocks make. Absolutely a different car. The KSport adjustables had been set about as high as they'd go, and were 2 clicks above the softest damping, but they never felt "good", transferring WAY to much road imperfection directly to the frame - even on minor holes/dips in the road, the front end would "blaat" loudly. Very uncomfortable - psychologically anyway.

01 has gone from a slammed to the ground, bad camber, tire wrecking, nervous, frantic, obnoxiously loud fast and furious wanna be with a nasty case of passenger side clear coat peel to a stock height, comfortable, poised, confident, quiet(er), peppy sprinter with a nasty case of passenger side clear coat peel.

Shortly after this part of 01's evolution, I was leaving a stop light when an aggressive BMW 3 series car came up on my left side - with an open stretch of road ahead, 01 matched that car quite nicely, never letting the Beemr's nose get more than mid way past my door. All the while Al Dimeola "Race with Devil on Spanish Highway" BLASTED, turning the rear view mirror into a useless blur. Big fat grins.
Attached Images
post #40 of 41 Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Nice progress. I enjoy reading and looking at before and afters.
post #41 of 41 Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
AnotherDriver how's the coupe doing?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.