de/re modding a moded 01 rod - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
18Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 41 Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDriver View Post
Attachment 372905

While stuff was happening in the dash area, its a good time to replace nasty cabin air filters. They were full of the very fine, black silt-like debris that was everywhere inside the passenger space. Air vents were removed and cleaned as far as a feather duster could reach into the ducts. The car smells much better now. I gotta say, getting at those filters is a much bigger chore in the 01 than it is in the 06 RL. The truck is a 5 minute job start-to-finish. 01 is a much bigger deal, not hard, just time consuming. Definitely the kind of thing a DIY'er should do because.... I wouldn't trust a mechanic to remove cosmetic panels in a 15 year old vehicle. At least not without expecting minor damage to clips and such.

Attachment 372913

That is all. For now.
That STUPID metal bracer bar that goes across right where the cabin air filters are...bane of my existence. I fought with the one in my '99 trying to get them out.

AnotherDriver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
Any time you buy a used car and it comes WITH a Scangauge is solid WIN as far as I'm concerned. You mean you had to pull all that bracing out to get to the cabin filter? That looks like a real PITA.
Yep, that's what you gotta do to get at the cabin air filters.

No doubt, the Scan Gauge is handy but... there's always a but, isn't there? The Torque App is geek nirvana.

Aside from configurable gauge types, multiple screens, tapping into mobile accelerometers and a bunch of other cool stuff, it logs whatever sensor the user selects. I even loaded it on a rooted Kindle so I've got a completely portable, big screen custom dash board that will go from car-to-car. As long as that car is OBD2, you've got a gold mine of data at your finger tips. 90% of the time, Torque runs on my phone, but in the RL, I fabbed a mount for the Kindle to use on road trips.

Name: torque-your-kindle-fullmonte3.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 46.9 KB

Some of the geek stuff that can be done with data logging...

I was curious about the influence of engine heat on air intake temps:
Name: First_OBD_Temp_Report_More.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 38.6 KB

Taking that a step further, I installed a thermal probe network using digital sensors and Arduino SW time stamping sensor events and measurements. Running Torque at the same time, a thermal map was created.

Name: 20160202.jpg
Size: 62.2 KB

Or how about merging Torque log time stamps/GPS speed with acoustic data captured in REW SW to understand the before/after cabin noise effects of old & new tires?

Name: OldNewTiresSPL.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 24.6 KB

How about using Torque in stand alone mode to log speed and elevation of a commercial air plane?

Name: TorqueYourEmbraer175TakeOff.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 31.9 KB

enne likes this.
post #18 of 41 Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Yah, I know.
Attached Images
enne likes this.

post #19 of 41 Old 10-20-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
That STUPID metal bracer bar that goes across right where the cabin air filters are...bane of my existence. I fought with the one in my '99 trying to get them out.
WTH was Honda thinking. Seriously.
post #20 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 05:42 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
They put it juuust high enough so you can't slip the filters out over it. And the screws were so tight on my car's, I ended up just bending the entire bar (with my angery hulk strength) because that was easier than fighting the screws, and stripping them out with the screwdriver. Haha.

I wanna wire up a tablet in mine now, seeing yours. That setup is pretty dope, and graphs make me "puppy going for a walk" levels of excited...

Maybe I could stick a tablet in that little storage space under the stereo/in front of the shifter. I think I've seen people do that on other cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #21 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
They put it juuust high enough so you can't slip the filters out over it. And the screws were so tight on my car's, I ended up just bending the entire bar (with my angery hulk strength) because that was easier than fighting the screws, and stripping them out with the screwdriver. Haha.

I wanna wire up a tablet in mine now, seeing yours. That setup is pretty dope, and graphs make me "puppy going for a walk" levels of excited...

Strongest of recommendations to do just that. Treat yourself to a Bluetooth enabled ODB transceiver, download the Torque App, set up your rig(s) and get rolling. There's a mess of BT OBD adapters out there, I went with BAFX for no particular reason and ran the free "lite" version of Torque for a while.

I found it so valuable, I purchased the App and never looked back. You end up with the full suite of customizable dash boards and log options, code read/clear functions and the ability to slice/dice logs for post event data analysis - all for under $30. I'm certain this set up put a serious dent in the portable scan tool business.

The App will even perform on-the-fly graphing.

Name: Screenshot_2015-12-29-15-35-49.jpg
Views: 80

I've never been concerned about 0-60 run times, or slalom course G force maps, but it'll do that stuff too. If I were to log such events, the App will record GPS coordinates and ground speed - if one were so inclined - the data could be merged with google earth maps to indicate speed at corners or straightaways or any location of interest. Stuff like that makes the propeller atop my geek beanie spin double speed.

In defense of Scan Gauge and its value to drivergeek citizens, I've come to appreciate that its "always there" and that it just works. When running Sea Foam induction cleaner thru the system, the "check engine" idiot light came on. Punching a couple keys on Scan Gauge revealed misfires in cylinders 3 & 4. Understandable since the system was being flooded with combustible fluid. Two key strokes on the Scan Gauge face later, codes were cleared and "problem" was solved. That's totally doable in Torque but its a "chore" to read/dismiss codes logged in ECM - that is - if hitting a series of soft keys could be considered a chore. It was just easier to do with Scan Gauge.

On another forum, the topic of Honda's ELD (electric load detection) came up. It's a misunderstood function deployed across many OEM fleets for incremental CAFE fleet average improvements - cuz - ya know - we gotta keep government happy. When I say misunderstood, there are lots of threads on various forums where members have chased a perceived alternator/charge circuit "issue". In many cases, some have replaced aletrnators and/or batteries due to that misunderstanding. Specific to ELD, what's happening is OEM's switch the alternator in/out of the battery charge circuit for more than one reason. Fleet CAFE is only part of the equation. But they also switch the circuit to optimize battery life. Torque logs show exactly how that works in the 06 iteration of Honda ELD. I've noticed the 01 Accord behaves differently and will log its behavior, until then this is what Torque proves about ELD in an 06 Ridgeline:

Name: ELDTest.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 56.2 KB

Bottom line: when accessory power demand is null, the alternator switches in/out of the charge circuit, letting the engine run on battery power until a voltage valley 11.5VDC is detected, then it switches ON to bring the battery back to optimum level, eventually switching out again.

When accessories like cooling fans/interior fans are ON, constant current demand causes ELD to force alternator output ON. Its a clever way to gain teeny amounts of engine efficiency by lowering drag of the external rolling assembly we call alternator.

Who cares about chit like that? Geeks do....

Ride on dudes. Happy weekend eve.
enne likes this.
post #22 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I take it I'd need a device with access to 4G or similar data to capture GPS, correct? Not just a tablet that only has Wi-Fi access. Do you consider the setup to be functional and useable without being connected to the internet whilst driving?

post #23 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I take it I'd need a device with access to 4G or similar data to capture GPS, correct? Not just a tablet that only has Wi-Fi access. Do you consider the setup to be functional and useable without being connected to the internet whilst driving?

Not really, Torque can stand alone as total local application, meaning it performs its functions independent to internet connection. The "local network" uses PID specific bi-directional OBD data running over the Bluetooth serial data profile. It also uses device sensors (mobile station - or phone - accelerometers and its on-board GPS receiver). The only time wireless (4G or WiFi) connection is important is when the user wants to upload data collected in phone memory over the internet to a server or email address. In that regard, it "needs" wireless connection. In my case, I tap into (extract) logs via USB connected to my laptop and file explorer.

You want this, you really, really do! HAHAHA.

Name: Screenshot_2016-03-31-09-18-34.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 33.3 KB

The caveat is Torque developers haven't bought into Apple's pay-for-play certification schema. SO... it runs only on Android. I know a few iOS users who so desire Torque, they've purchased old/used Android devices for the sole purpose of running the app. Thats a cool way to make use of Torque features. Those guys have a "phone" they use in an "off-net" mode. In other words, the Android doesn't run on AT&T, VZW, ETC. It runs independent of a wide area data network, so no cellular account is needed. One of those guys uses WiFi to upload his logs, others do like I do and pull the data via the universal serial bus.

I tried using the Kindle in 01 Accord but its simply too large. I'm in the middle of devising a phone mount because its currently a PITA to use my Moto X pure. When that gets done, I'll use my regular phone for Torque fun.

In the 06 RL, I modded an old/damaged stainless water bottle and a universal phone/tablet mount. It works well and the RL is roomier, so the tablet works perfectly. But, so far, the Accord hasn't shown me a spot where the tablet will work. I'll keep dreaming about a way to pull that off because the "big screen" aspect of a tablet is sooooo appealing. More gauge faces showing without having to page over to see other/less important gauges.

Name: KindleTorque.jpg
Size: 39.0 KB
post #24 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I was thinking of sticking a tablet in that little cubby area in front of the shifter, under the radio. I don't use it anyway and the power outlet is right there next to it anyway.

post #25 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I was thinking of sticking a tablet in that little cubby area in front of the shifter, under the radio. I don't use it anyway and the power outlet is right there next to it anyway.

Now you went and did it. Planted a seed. Making my brain itch. That itch must be scratched. I'll size up that space using Kindle and a spare phone as reference. Get back to you later today.
post #26 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I eagerly await your findings.

post #27 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

What an undertaking!!!! Since I grew up changing points, condensers, rotors, and distributor caps I thought a dwell meter and timing gun were the finest tools ever! You are a wizard in many ways. Nicely done (and tasteful) restoration thus far. The electronics wizardry is beyond my scope. I appreciate this well written adventure and pictures also....nicely done.

I know the struts/shocks are bugging you, hopefully you can find a reasonable fix/replacement and then be able to do a four wheel alignment.
post #28 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 01:40 PM
5th Gear

Since I have an iPhone, of course I can't use the Torque app....but OBD Fusion is great.
post #29 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I eagerly await your findings.

Here you go enne, with a little creativity, the Kindle would actually work pretty well covering the forward console pocket. I'm kinda surprised!

Name: Kindle.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 34.4 KB

And just to fill in the blanks, a creatively crafted mounting solution for a phone in that same spot would leave the pocket accessible and usable. This is an old Samsung S3 still loaded with the Torque app.

Name: Samsung.jpg
Views: 73

A couple of "problems" need solutions, like a power source but with the accessory socket right there, it would be a relatively easy task to solve. It seems to sit tight but probably needs a tab or two to keep in from sliding in aggressive corners.

Crud. Thought I had the weekend planned out. New thought bubbles hafta be dealt with now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
What an undertaking!!!! Since I grew up changing points, condensers, rotors, and distributor caps I thought a dwell meter and timing gun were the finest tools ever! You are a wizard in many ways. Nicely done (and tasteful) restoration thus far. The electronics wizardry is beyond my scope. I appreciate this well written adventure and pictures also....nicely done.

I know the struts/shocks are bugging you, hopefully you can find a reasonable fix/replacement and then be able to do a four wheel alignment.
Thanks man. Sounds like you and I attended the same school. I dunno bout being a wizard. There's just stuff I'm interested in stuff and need to figure out. It helps that I'm in the tech sector but the kids coming out of college these days are speaking a whole new language so keeping up is getting a bit more challenging lately.

Hopefully, those coil overs will come off this weekend and start a good soak in PB Blaster.

Have a happy weekend dudes!
enne likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I think the OP is a little off the geek end. ;-)

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.