XLR8 review and DIY - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By gunz&carz
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

XLR8 review and DIY

So I got my XLR8 j pipe in yesterday. My initial impressions of the j pipe are outstanding. The quality of the pipe is absolutely incredible. I just wanted to share my thoughts and why I picked XLR8 over the other.

I started researching the j pipe mod about three weeks ago. I searched and searched and searched and I never really came to a very conclusive answer as to witch one is better. XLR8 RV6 or ATLP. All I really found out was rv6 guys like rv6 and xlr8 guys like xlr8. Since I'm not concerned with clearance at this time I was open to using all the pipes. I just wanted to overall best one.

This is the rv6 v3
Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1398442394.628397.jpg
Views: 1168
Size: 23.2 KB

This is the xlr8
Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1398442441.101163.jpg
Views: 1167
Size: 31.9 KB

For me I can see quality concerns with the RV6 right of bat. The biggest issue I have with the RV6 is the MERGE. Yes iv seen worse but it's not great. Ask any pro exhaust guy and they will tell you the merge matters. The rv6 also uses foreign steel were as XLR8 is 100% USA. The welds on the xlr8 are absolutely amazing. Very clean. I didn't go with or do a whole lot of research on the ATLP pipe because I wanted to delete the 3rd cat. I hope this helps a few out. I will be doing the install tonight or maybe in the morning. I will add the full DIY with lots of pictures. I will also do a few before and after vids.

Also I was able to get free shipping with promo code XLR8EXHAUST. Idk if it still works but it worked 2 weeks ago. Check back Saturday night for the install info.

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

INSTALL:

Ok so the install is very simple. I used a standard jack and 4 jack stands. I jacked the front of the car up as high as I could get it and placed the jack stands.

TOOLS. 3/8 and 1/2in electric impact(snap-on) 13 and 14 impact sockets. 17mm wrench for the new bolts supplied by XLR8.

I highly recommend using PB blaster on the old nuts. Mine were to far rusted so I had to use a 13mm impact socket and a hammer. I know this a a bad way to do it but it got done. If your nuts are as rusted as mine were I recommend having a buddy drive you to lowes or Home Depot to get new nuts. Other than that it's is pretty straight forward. I would say this install takes very little mechanical skill to do. You remove old pipe install new one. It's a direct fit. Just be careful removing the nuts if you break a stud it can be a PITA. I wish I could wright more on this but is pretty simple. I would also recommend having a friend with you just makes it easier. I would not attempt this with out air tool or at least electric impact like I used. One issue I noticed was once installed my cat back had shifted and one side was rubbing my bumper. Now I do have a Custom cat back that is NOT professional to say the least. I went and got this fixed this morning. I don't know how to post videos on here so I'll try to figure that out. Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1399222434.533530.jpg
Views: 1071
Size: 29.0 KBName: ImageUploadedByAG Free1399222456.803831.jpg
Views: 1074
Size: 41.6 KBName: ImageUploadedByAG Free1399222483.635805.jpg
Views: 1073
Size: 38.7 KB

CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM
3rd Gear

i did this easily without air tools or impact. not hard at all. just make sure you spray wd40 or the pb blaster.

notice a difference in performance?

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 AM
Yea I modded my car again

i got the same j pipe. i love xlr8. I also have their ss brake lines and got the stock diameter aluminum pulley from them also.

the j pipe definitely made a noticeable difference, and not often can u actually notice a single modification.

I then did the magnaflow cbe and once again felt a good difference (in top end)

then i did rv6 hfpc and honestly, i dunno how much they added, but imho i think they added less than the j pipe or the cbe.

however it could also have to do with the order i did my mods. middle of exhaust, end of exhaust then front of the exhaust. (kinda ass backwards) so who knows really.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, EBC green pads, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz&carz View Post
So I got my XLR8 j pipe in yesterday. My initial impressions of the j pipe are outstanding. The quality of the pipe is absolutely incredible. I just wanted to share my thoughts and why I picked XLR8 over the other.

I started researching the j pipe mod about three weeks ago. I searched and searched and searched and I never really came to a very conclusive answer as to witch one is better. XLR8 RV6 or ATLP. All I really found out was rv6 guys like rv6 and xlr8 guys like xlr8. Since I'm not concerned with clearance at this time I was open to using all the pipes. I just wanted to overall best one.

This is the rv6 v3
Attachment 144042

This is the xlr8
Attachment 144050

For me I can see quality concerns with the RV6 right of bat. The biggest issue I have with the RV6 is the MERGE. Yes iv seen worse but it's not great. Ask any pro exhaust guy and they will tell you the merge matters. The rv6 also uses foreign steel were as XLR8 is 100% USA. The welds on the xlr8 are absolutely amazing. Very clean. I didn't go with or do a whole lot of research on the ATLP pipe because I wanted to delete the 3rd cat. I hope this helps a few out. I will be doing the install tonight or maybe in the morning. I will add the full DIY with lots of pictures. I will also do a few before and after vids.

Also I was able to get free shipping with promo code XLR8EXHAUST. Idk if it still works but it worked 2 weeks ago. Check back Saturday night for the install info.
Just got mine delivered last Wednesday, can't wait to install!
How are the performance gains ??
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.