Johnson Tint brand any good? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Johnson Tint brand any good?

Ok. Time to get my windows tinted... I think.

Called California Tint -- my sales lady got her Accord tinted there, my friends sister got her IS250 tinted there, and my friends brother-in-law got his F-250 tinted there.... all looked very professionally done -- and was quoted $125 for an all-around tint.

They told me they use a tint called . Anyone here know if that brand is any good? I asked if they used anything else and said no.

Thinking about going there tomorrow morning.

As for %, All I know is I don't want anything too dark that it will be a PITA to see at night. Right now, I'm thinking about going with their , and with 48% all around, or 48% rears and 62% fronts?

What do you all think?

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
They told me they use a tint called . Anyone here know if that brand is any good? I asked if they used anything else and said no.
From what I have heard, they make some of the best window films in the biz.

As far as the %, that is all personal preference. I would agree with tint you are thinking about, seems like a good %. I just wouldn't go too dark.

Current:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 Civic EX 5spd Coupe, Milano Red

Past:
'00 Integra GSR 5spd Hatchback, Voltage Blue Metallic
'91 CRX Si 5spd Hatchback, Phoenix Red
'88 Civic DX 4spd Hatchback, Rio Red

Future:
???
post #3 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to alpha
Haven't heard of it personally, but since it does have a lifetime warranty and are fully metallized, that would be fine.

Do you have navigation? If you do, it would be best to look away from fully metallized films, and look into extruded dyed films. They have a lifetime warranty, but do not have all the metal content of fully metallized films. The metals could interfere with the gps signal.

That's a fairly light shade. It would give you the heat rejection without the privacy. If that's what you're going for, then it should be great! But I would recommend possibly looking into 35% all around. It'll give you more heat rejection, still no privacy really. The darker the film, the more heat rejection.

If you want a lighter shade and more heat rejection, I would look into ceramic films. Really expensive though, and some shops won't even touch it.

- Mark

2006 Honda Accord EX-V6 6MT Navi Sedan
Carbon Bronze Pearl/Black

post #4 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps_Fan View Post
From what I have heard, they make some of the best window films in the biz.
Good to hear. And it looks like it has a too.... so no need for felt, I'm assuming.

Quote:
As far as the %, that is all personal preference. I would agree with tint you are thinking about, seems like a good %. I just wouldn't go too dark.
Yeah. Definitely don't want it to be very dark. I might even go 38% rears and 48% up front because now that I look at it some more 62% up front does seem kinda light.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Haven't heard of it personally, but since it does have a lifetime warranty and are fully metallized, that would be fine.

Do you have navigation? If you do, it would be best to look away from fully metallized films, and look into extruded dyed films. They have a lifetime warranty, but do not have all the metal content of fully metallized films. The metals could interfere with the gps signal.
Nope. No GPS........... (yet?)

As for a dyed film, you mean something like their ? Only thing I don't like about it is it has no color fade warranty.

Quote:
That's a fairly light shade. It would give you the heat rejection without the privacy. If that's what you're going for, then it should be great! But I would recommend possibly looking into 35% all around. It'll give you more heat rejection, still no privacy really.
You may be right about going a bit darker. Now I'm thinking 38% rear and 48% up front or maybe even 38% all around. I don't really care about privacy. I mainly want protection from the sun and heat.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Swirl Free

QUESTION:

I plan on doing a carputer mod in my car soon.

Will tint with metal screw with my carputer gps/nav or is it only when the antenna is is the rear glass like the OE nav?
post #7 of 16 Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Nope. No GPS........... (yet?)

As for a dyed film, you mean something like their ? Only thing I don't like about it is it has no color fade warranty.

You may be right about going a bit darker. Now I'm thinking 38% rear and 48% up front or maybe even 38% all around. I don't really care about privacy. I mainly want protection from the sun and heat.
Yes, their Silhouette film is an extruded dyed film. They can't warranty color fade usually because it is still dyed, but they offer a lifetime warranty in places that regular dyed films only carry about a 5 year warranty.

I'd recommend a fully metallized film then, like your first suggestion. It really only applies to vehicles with factory Navi. We had customers come back and say that their signal to Navi was screwed up and the only thing changed on the vehicle was the tint. Needless to say, these were customers from other tint shops that hadn't warned them about the issue.

In terms of how dark you want film, my suggestion would be to find someone that has that percentage and take a good look at the car. It would be best if you could find someone with similar exterior and interior colors. Black interior will make the tint look darker than Ivory interior. But its best to look at in person, because pictures won't necessarily do it justice. In my opinion, I would get 38% all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCity Honda View Post
QUESTION:

I plan on doing a carputer mod in my car soon.

Will tint with metal screw with my carputer gps/nav or is it only when the antenna is is the rear glass like the OE nav?
just with the rear glass antennas.

- Mark

2006 Honda Accord EX-V6 6MT Navi Sedan
Carbon Bronze Pearl/Black
post #8 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
6th Gear

Thread Resurrection!!!

Hey, at least I did a thorough search...
OP, did you end up getting the johnson tints? I have been reading some good things about them, but there isn't too much information out there. The best quote I got for tints on my coupe was from a shop with good reviews that only uses Johnson. Anyone else have any insight?

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #9 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
4th Gear

I have Johnson window tints

I have Johnson tints. I got their Insulatir ceramic tints at 50%. Don't know what particular brand you're interested in as they have many to choose from. So far, I'm happy with mine.

2003 Accord Coupe EX-V6, Black, Automatic
post #10 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, got their Executive tint about 2 years ago. I've been very happy with them.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 AM
6th Gear

one more happy Johnson tint customer, and no scratching at all.

2009 PMM 6-6 Navi
-Tsx Key, 15% Johnson tints
-Kicker ZX650.4, ZX500.1 Amps
-Kicker KS Component and Coaxial Speakers
-10" L5 in Sealed Box
-Audiocontrol LC7
post #12 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
6th Gear

Awesome- good to hear guys.

I just had them done today- I'm not sure what type of Johnson tint-there are a lot, but the guy assured me they were metallic and said they were "the best" Johnson tints. Cost only 135 all around-and I didn't get any other quotes in the area under 235! They did an amazing job too. Pics to come soon.

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #13 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
banned

Johnson tint is what we use on all our advertising cars, H&A included. Can't go wrong with johnson IMO.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Inspire this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaroy View Post
I have Johnson tints. I got their Insulatir ceramic tints at 50%. Don't know what particular brand you're interested in as they have many to choose from. So far, I'm happy with mine.
First, no such thing as tints. Sorry, I own a tint shop and it's a personal pet peeve. EEK. You have TINT. Not tints. Does your car have multiple tint colors to it? No. It doesn't. It's not plural.

Second, Johnson is pretty good stuff as long as it's an HP line and has a lifetime warranty and is metallized.

Other brands that are great (as a general FYI)

Suntek (what I have on my car)
Llumar
Advantage
Diamond

PADENJ CM Squad #10
Fujita Intake, TSX IM, Hondata IM Gasket, P2R Gasket, Ingalls TD, 08' I4-C Wheels, Ralco Pulleys, DC Header. Custom 2.5" Apexi'i WS2 exhaust. Trans cooler, oil catch can, tb bypass. Tein H-Tech, Tokico Illumina's. Skunk2 cams + Kpro (not installed)
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 AM
1 UP

you're going to california tints(in rosemead)? they do good work, my brother, and a few of my friends gone, i will be going soon as well.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.