Where to replace brake fluid in Chicago? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Where to replace brake fluid in Chicago?

I am a newbie here so please forgive me if the question is not appropriate. Basically I have a 2013 accord with 17K miles and my dealer wants me to replace the brake fluids. I agree the owners manual says change every three years and have no objection to getting it done but I somehow don't feel confident with Fletcher Jones Honda in Chicago. Also I asked the three other dealers in Chicago and got a quote between $70 - $180. I also read that not everyone does a full flush and I don't think I am savvy enough to understand what the dealer is doing even I am standing in front of my car in this matter.
So I am hoping there are other forum members from Chicago who might recommend the right place to get a proper flush and replacement.

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
I bet RickBlaine would bring over a couple brewskis and live stream you doing it yourself in the driveway. since it will only cost you about 20 bucks in supplies and fluid, you could probably tip him a few bucks for holding the camera.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 AM
BRWNFLSH now

If you don't even know what's involved you could watch a couple of YouTube videos of brake bleeding. But do dealerships let you go into the shop and watch the techs, to make sure they bleed the lines?
The only way I know, to make sure a job is done correctly, is to do it myself.
I couldn't believe it when I heard ericthecarguy say it was acceptable to simply change the fluid in the reservoir. It's not acceptable to me.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Few years ago I would have jumped at the opportunity to watch YouTube videos and replace brake fluid on my own. Unfortunately I don't have enough sanity to feel confident of not messing it up and hence I am looking to pay a professional to do it correctly.
Any one here who doesn't do it himself/herself cares to share ?
post #5 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 08:09 AM
BRWNFLSH now

Do you know anyone who can advise you on what shop to bring the car to in your area? Family, co-workers?

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #6 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Haha all my friends trust their car dealership to do the right thing - maybe I am the only one not liking mine.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

This is the same service center who tried to scare me into doing transmission fluid change at 16k four years.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
This is the same service center who tried to scare me into doing transmission fluid change at 16k four years.
I can only imagine your pain when you are asked "Do you want fries with that?"

Are you scared if you are asked "You want to supersize that meal?"

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM
5th Gear

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM
BRWNFLSH now

People trust the dealerships, and other shops, because they don't have much choice. There were very few times I've had my cars worked on at a shop, but I don't think many of them will let you go into the shop and watch them work on your car, even if you know what you're looking at. Even if someone you know says they trust a certain mechanic, can you really believe them? It's a dilemma for sure. If you can't DIY, you are at their mercy IMO. Your best bet is having a mechanic who is a friend or relative, who you know you can trust. One of my close friend's father used to own a shop with his brothers, and I knew I could trust him not to screw me over, but he has since retired and the shop is no more.

post #11 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
This has nothing about unnecessary services which is what I believe is the case if you are being strongly suggested to do a full transmission fluid replacement in four years. Am I wrong in assuming that is unnecessary ? I couldn't find anything about that in the owners manual unlike brake fluid which is clearly stated to be replaced every three years. They also keep pressuring me to do oil change every 6months even though the owners manual say it will be ok up to a year.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Out of Control

Look YELP reviews for a good indie shop if you can't get a recommendation from someone that knows about cars, any shop can do a brake fluid flush, make sure they use a DOT 3 fluid (DOT 4 works too but the fluid change is every 2 yrs.). You should be going by a time maintenance plan instead of mileage. Transmission fluid can oxidize, engine oil can sludge if the car doesn't get enough use. I would do 1 d/f on the trans. & get an oil change every 6 months (if you do a lot of short trips).

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #13 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I can only imagine your pain when you are asked "Do you want fries with that?"

Are you scared if you are asked "You want to supersize that meal?"
I am happy that you are so confident in these matters.
I do know what super sized fries will do to me. Not doing a transmission fluid replacement when the service manager says they strongly recommend it makes me doubt myself - I don't feel bad about that at all.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 AM
BRWNFLSH now

These people are using scare tactics on you. I have never seen anything related to a time limit (4 years or otherwise) on transmission fluid. Have you talked to the manager about this? You should find another shop, IMO.
Justanotherguy likes this.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Out of Control

Do you have a CVT transmission ?

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.