Brake fluid flush at 2 years...nasty stuff in there - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Brake fluid flush at 2 years...nasty stuff in there

Replaced rear brakes. Decided it would be a good time to flush the brake fluid. Pictured in the bottle is not tea at all - nasty, slimy, chunky brake fluid. Not sure what Honda uses OEM, but it has not held up well. It has taken two liters of brake fluid to finally get it cleared up at the rear calipers. This will become a yearly service for me from now on. Have never seen a vehicle 3 years old with such nasty fluid in the brake system. There was even green slimy algae looking gunk under the cap and around the filler neck of the reservoir. Yuck yuck yuck!

Attached Images
jimijam likes this.

2015 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6AT
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 06:43 PM
6th Gear

Just don't stick that bottle of "tea" in the fridge.

jimijam and Merc6 like this.

2008 Coupe V6
post #3 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
5th Gear

Hmmm interesting. I'll open the brake fluid reservoir next time I have the hood popped to see if there is some of that green sludge in there.

I'm curious though: why do you think you need to do this yearly?

What did you use to refill?

2017 Accord EX I4 w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX I4 Sedan

post #4 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Out of Control

This is all over the Ridgeline forum. Chunks of stuff in brand new trucks.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #5 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
green tea
Merc6 likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
Just don't stick that bottle of "tea" in the fridge. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://radio-pro.ru/forums/images/DriveAccord_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]
If you have never tasted that stuff, you owe it to yourself. It's quite the tasty beverage! Splattered in the eye is pretty erotic too, I hear. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Hmmm interesting. I'll open the brake fluid reservoir next time I have the hood popped to see if there is some of that green sludge in there.

I'm curious though: why do you think you need to do this yearly?

My go-to is always Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 or Preston synthetic DOT4. Valvoline this time around.

Mistake in OP - car is 2 years old, not 3. Have flushed brake fluid several times on 2 yr old vehicles and none of them looked like this. The fluid was tan (darker than new), but not slimy and chunky. I've seen 10 year old brake fluid look better than this. So if it continues to degrade this quickly, it will be a 1 year service. It's just peace of mind, honestly.

Also thinking back, I have always washed under the hood with soap and water (with low pressure rinse, mind you). Never had an issue on prior vehicles, but maybe the cap is a crappy one that let's water in?? I will start covering it with a plastic bag from now on to see if that's the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
This is all over the Ridgeline forum. Chunks of stuff in brand new trucks.
Thank you for letting me know this. I will check their forums out. Good info!

post #7 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

And now I notice this....

Guess I will be the guinea pig for non-Honda brake fluid. Doubt it could be any worse than what was in there. If I encounter any issues, I will post back.
Attached Images

post #8 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Blinded by the light

I noticed the same thing when I did my brake fluid last year. It wasn't as bad as your photo, but it was definitely weird. Threw in some new fluid and bled those suckers.

Also, be sure to keep an eye on your calipers. My rear one got jammed up!

Keep an eye on your brakes!

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #9 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear

Recently changed my 2013 Accord brake fluid and it was almost like what you described, and it was 4 years old.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
I noticed the same algae-like stuff in my Accord's brake fluid. The pedal was also kinda spongey before I changed the fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordULEV View Post
And now I notice this....

Guess I will be the guinea pig for non-Honda brake fluid. Doubt it could be any worse than what was in there. If I encounter any issues, I will post back.
Honda cars tend to be more picky with fluids, so I'd personally use OEM stuff, save for the engine oil and windshield washer fluid(derp).
enne likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #11 of 27 Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 AM
Out of Control

Here are some good ones from the Ridgeline forum:

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #12 of 27 Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 AM
2016 Touring 6AT

Going to check out my reservoir tonight.. looks like some of those ridgeline guys are having moisture issues, and maybe we are too? Amber color is not a concern.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 AM
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

I have bled my Odyssey a couple different times and didn't see this gunk in there.

I also refilled with Valvoline DOT 3/4 and it seems fine. Nobody could explain to me how Honda brake fluid was magically different than another quality brand of brake fluid.

How do you guys bleed? I made a homemade pressure bleeder with a garden sprayer tank and a custom made cap that I clamp down with a U-bolt and some wingnuts. That was for the Odyssey at least and I assume that the 2014 Accord also needs the same as there is no cap that can screw on pressure-tight to the reservoir right?
post #14 of 27 Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Here are some good ones from the Ridgeline forum:

Thanks again for posting this. I didn't read through the entire threads, but it was enough to figure out that this is sort of a thing with Hondas, I guess. Several members over at the RL forum were suggesting contamination from the factory (one of them even found a hair in the reservoir). Seems pretty legit to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
Going to check out my reservoir tonight.. looks like some of those ridgeline guys are having moisture issues, and maybe we are too? Amber color is not a concern.
Agreed the color wasn't concerning to me so much. The photo I took of it in the tea bottle doesn't really do it justice because it looks MUCH worse in person. Lots of murky, slimy particulate in the fluid. Very cloudy with quite a bit of sediment. Before even attempting to bleed the brakes, I actually irrigated the reservoir using a syringe and some O2 tubing to stir the sediment up and suck it back out - went through LOTS of fluid before I could get the reservoir cleaned out enough to even think about sending that junk to the rest of the braking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
I have bled my Odyssey a couple different times and didn't see this gunk in there.

I also refilled with Valvoline DOT 3/4 and it seems fine. Nobody could explain to me how Honda brake fluid was magically different than another quality brand of brake fluid.

How do you guys bleed? I made a homemade pressure bleeder with a garden sprayer tank and a custom made cap that I clamp down with a U-bolt and some wingnuts. That was for the Odyssey at least and I assume that the 2014 Accord also needs the same as there is no cap that can screw on pressure-tight to the reservoir right?
I took the easy way out - I had some O2 nasal cannula tubing and just slipped one end onto the bleeder valve, looped the hose up around one of the coils of the spring so that IF anything got sucked back into the bleeder valve, it would only be fluid and pumped the brakes to bleed. It seems to have worked fine.

The folks at the Ridgeline forum were complaining of a mushy brake pedal. Oddly, I never experienced any issues with the pedal at all. Brake pedal feels a tiny bit smoother now, but it's hard to compare before and after right now because I just replaced rear brake pads too.

Just FYI...

post #15 of 27 Old 11-27-2017, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
I've seen tinted green fluid in other vehicles as well. I think there are components in the braking systems that use metals with higher concentrations of copper.

I believe dirty fluid is attributed to fluid over time w/ several factors: temperature fluctuations with exposure to black rubber hoses, black rubber hoses in general, and the brake fluid being hygroscopic (absorbs water) with moisture being slowly absorbed through the rubber hoses & every time the reservoir cap is opened (hence why the reservoir is transparent, so no need to open to check).

If it were a brand new car, I would expected the rubber hoses to sort of "break in" or flush/wash away the newly installed hose residue. Maybe you could attribute the debris you mentioned to this, I haven't seen too much debris in brake lines before, but I suppose it's possible. But the important thing is you got it out.

The only reason the fluid has to be flushed is because it's hygroscopic, and the boiling point drops more dramatically after 2 years. Even a severely driven car is never braked heavily enough to be concerned with boiling points, but when it comes to braking you always error on the side of caution. 3 years should be the very latest fluid should be changed, but most people stick within 2-3 yrs. Just think of how many cars out there on running on original fluid and let that sink in.

When I flush I used a clear plastic tubing a loop it upward (for bubbles to rise) over a coil and down in to powerade bottle. crack er open and pump the brakes until fluid color changes to my liking. Refill and repeat. Turkey baster the original reservoir of course. I go RR, LR, RF, LF. I use the Prestone Dot 3 "high temperature synthetic," it's probably the same with a fancy name - $6 for the quart bottle I think.

Ben: 2010 Accord EX-L sedan, 2.4L, AT, 121K, Alabaster silver metallic
Bu: 2007 Malibu LS sedan, 3.5L, 152K - wife's daily driver
Howard: 2008 Grand Prix sedan, 3.8L, 138.5K - totaled, owned 8 yrs.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.