Tire blowout 18k miles - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Tire blowout 18k miles

A couple of weeks ago my right rear tire blew out while driving on the freeway. Exited pulled into a parking lot and called AAA. The AAA driver pulled the tire off and saw that the hole was on the inside wall of the tire next to the wheel. He said to contact the dealer to see if it is covered by the new car warranty.
My Honda dealer has two service locations. One stand alone service center downtown and the other at the dealership. I spoke with service advisors at both locations. One SA said that it was highly unlikely that it was a manufacture defect because they would have caught it when they rotated my tires. the second SA said that they would have to send the tire to Michelin and have them inspect it to determine if it was a defective tire.

I've had my '16 Accord for almost 9 months and it has 18k miles on it and had two tire rotations. I wasn't buying either SA's stories, but didn't want to argue with them and decided to buy the tire from the dealer since they had one in stock and it was cheaper than the same tire at Costco. BTW, I did purchase an extended warranty, but it doesn't cover tires. The tire that I bought from the dealer comes with road hazard coverage.

What do you think? How likely was it that the tire was defective? Anyone have experience with a defective tire on a new car?

Current Vehicles

2016 White Orchid Pearl Accord EX Sedan
2011 Pearl White Hyundai Sonata GLS Sedan
2002 Mesa Beige Odyssey EX

Previous Vehicles

2004 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1994 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1992 Toyota Camry SE Sedan
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1986 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
1982 Honda Accord Hatchback
1982 Honda Accord Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to gy1363 For This Useful Post:
Deepo11 (05-30-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 09:32 PM
been around the block

18k it's very possible that the blow out was caused by some sort of road debris and not a defect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

18k miles is a lot for it to be considered a defect.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Yeah, it was a road hazard of some sort. Nail, screw, piece of metal....

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

All I heard was a 'whoosh' sound. Didn't feel like I ran over anything. When the AAA drive took off the tire, there wasn't anything sticking out of the tire. As i said in the original post, the hole was on the inside wall of the tire right next to the wheel hub. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it.

Current Vehicles

2016 White Orchid Pearl Accord EX Sedan
2011 Pearl White Hyundai Sonata GLS Sedan
2002 Mesa Beige Odyssey EX

Previous Vehicles

2004 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1994 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1992 Toyota Camry SE Sedan
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
1986 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
1982 Honda Accord Hatchback
1982 Honda Accord Sedan
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2017, 06:42 PM
5th Gear

But now you have a "mis-matched" pair of tires, in terms of mileage and remaining tread.

Shouldn't you have replaced them as a pair? Yes, I know that costs more $$, but will the mis-match affect handling, TPMS readings and/or traction control, especially when they get rotated to the front end?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM
2017 LSM Touring

Angry

I think the Continental ProContact tires are POS garbage and I'm pissed about it. In the 6 months that I've had my '17 Touring, I've had 3 blowouts: 1 in March 2017, 1 in April 2017, and 1 just last weekend that had us waylaid for a several hours on a weekend trip down the Shore. It's gotten to the point that we've started to question whether or not we'll make it home when we do drive the car, which is a strange realization, as it isn't driven all that often (car just turned over 2500 miles during the last ill-fated voyage). I'm convinced the Accord with 19" wheels are under-tired - the sidewalls are too thin; the tires aren't wide enough. I installed the 19" HFPs with 245/45 19" tires on the '14 Touring I traded for this '17 and in the 2 years and 20K+ miles I put on those tires, I could drive all over the potholed paradises that are Chicago and NYC without having to consider how to go about changing a flat on the FDR in a suit. It's nonsense.

Marc
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
2017 LSM Accord Touring
Illuminated door sills
Illuminated interior
Sport grille
JDM Emblems
Horn upgrade
Door Edge guards
Splash guards
Accord trunk tray
Weather-tech Digitalfit floormats
post #8 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Dsclmr:DIY YourOwnRisks

First SA is baloney. So, if the mechanic purposely/inadvertently missed it, this incident implies your fault. I've never seen any dealer would find something wrong with the car and voluntarily fix it for free while the car was still under warranty. But, I've seen they would point out something wrong or not even wrong to get your money.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 AM
2006 Accord EX

Michelin, so I've heard, is a good company that backs their products.
As long as your tech can provide a reasonable argument for the tire failing and not a road hazard, you've got a shot, I'd say.

And just because the first dude didn't "see it" when they did a rotation, doesn't mean doodly squat!

There are plenty of people who almost died of heart attacks...when they got misdiag-ed at an ER and got sent home.
Crap happens.
It's inevitable.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Michelin customer support is great, I'd recommend opening an incident. You can even do it online via Chat or the more traditional 800#, if you like.

I would typically say 'road debris' caused the sidewall failure too, but since it was a 'rear' tire and not a front, that makes it much more unlikely.

-

16 Accord Coupe 6-6
04 S2000
13 Odyssey Touring
post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM
6th Gear

Why should you BUY the story from the tow truck driver, and not the dealership?
I hate to break it to you, but the HUGE majority of tire blowouts are caused by running something over, not a defect in the tire.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.