Light braking vibration / shudder when cold - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 1 Post By hdtouring
  • 1 Post By 08EX-L
  • 1 Post By hdtouring
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
2015 Accord Touring I4

Light braking vibration / shudder when cold

Anyone else develop this so early? I have about 5k on my car and when the rotors are cold or when I brake ever so lightly I noticed a vibration or unsmooth feeling.

Its fine for heavy braking and highway braking... but approaching a stop sign is horribly irritating.

I had a look at the rotors and noticed this grove about a mm deep on the passenger side. I think this is caused by the pads having bits of metal etc that press into a hot soft rotor.

Hoping the dealer has a solution for me. I have been trying to live with it until my first oil change.

Attached Images

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

I hope the dealers are better in Canada! I imagine you are stuck with them for the new car warranty but in the US I'd put money down that they'd tell you it's not covered. Read the fine print of the warranty. If it's only partially covered or not at all, find a good independent shop who will do the job right, save yourself the grief.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 AM
4th Gear

I don't think the groove causes the vibration.

One of the rotors must be slightly warped. If this is the case, it is pretty simple trouble shoot and fix. At 5K, this should be covered under warranty. A good dealer will make it right. I had a similar problem with a new car (not Honda), the dealer fixed it, and gave me a free oil change to make up for the trouble.
08EX-L likes this.

My latest Honda: Modern Steel 2015 V6 Touring Accord.
My first Honda: Blue 1976 Accord ("Blue" is redundant because that was the only color it came in).

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
2015 Accord Touring I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtouring View Post
I don't think the groove causes the vibration.

One of the rotors must be slightly warped. If this is the case, it is pretty simple trouble shoot and fix. At 5K, this should be covered under warranty. A good dealer will make it right. I had a similar problem with a new car (not Honda), the dealer fixed it, and gave me a free oil change to make up for the trouble.
How did they fix it with new rotors or machine them?

If I had 42k on the car then a machine would be acceptable, but this early I would want a new set of rotors as the life of the rotor would decrease significantly if they were machined.

I have seen the repair go both ways. I've asked the selling dealer and my local dealer for their input.

When I rotate the wheel is makes a scrape noise on and off...did that since new.
hdtouring likes this.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EX-L View Post
How did they fix it with new rotors or machine them?
It was a Mazda. The car was about 8 weeks old. The dealer installed new rotors.

Do people still turn brake rotors? I personally think that when a rotor needs turning, it should be replaced. Rotors don't cost that much.

Quote:
When I rotate the wheel is makes a scrape noise on and off...did that since new.
There is no such thing as a perfectly true rotor. Even the turning machine has its own tolerance. But when the driver can feel the vibration, the "untrueness" (is there such a term?) is excessive, and the rotor should be replaced.
08EX-L likes this.

My latest Honda: Modern Steel 2015 V6 Touring Accord.
My first Honda: Blue 1976 Accord ("Blue" is redundant because that was the only color it came in).
The Following User Says Thank You to hdtouring For This Useful Post:
08EX-L (11-17-2015)
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 PM
5th Gear

As cheap as rotors are these day's it'd be silly to turn them.

2015 Black Accord Sport cvt w/black heated leather. Northeast Ohio
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagexx1 View Post
As cheap as rotors are these day's it'd be silly to turn them.
This ^ I never understood intentionally removing part of the disk to fix a warped rotor. Get a new one!

Quote:
I had a look at the rotors and noticed this grove about a mm deep on the passenger side. I think this is caused by the pads having bits of metal etc that press into a hot soft rotor.
That groove is probably from a piece of gravel or something that just happen to get past the wheel between the pad and rotor for a couple braking cycles.

Do you recall some hard braking? Is it really only when the brakes are "cold"? Good luck with Honda replacing it, not sure what they will do to be honest. It is a wear item, but it is pretty new.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Daughter's car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Son's car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.