Ground Control for 9th gen coupe - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
2014 Honda Accord CoupeV6

Ground Control for 9th gen coupe

Hello. I am looking for shocks to go with the GC coilover conversion kit. What shocks would go good with this? Would the 8th gen Koni shocks fit the 9th gen Accord coupe if not what would fit this kit that offers the same warranty and performance as Koni shocks?

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Dafuq?

The 8th gen shocks will fit in the rear, but the front is an entirely different suspension type (macphearson vs double wishbone).

Why not go for a quality coilover setup instead, you're spending about the same price (e.g. Megan SS, Tein Advance, Ksport, BC)

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / TEIN Street Advance / Tein EDFC II / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / Varrstoen ES4 19x9.5 +40 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.40.19 / 20% Suntek Tint / Acura RL BBK / 350z Slotted/Drilled Brembo Rotors / FFC Bracket / Stoptech SS Lines / EVO GSR Enkei Wheels 18x8.5 +38 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 245.40.18 / KTUNER

The other forum/community is better, just saying...
post #3 of 13 Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

If I am correct, Ground control is teamed up with Eibach? Also, from my sources, aren't Megan and Ksport are exactly the same? I've also heard that they are ebay junk and they don't have good longevity. I also hear that their spring rates don't differ much from stock. Correct me if I'm wrong. But please keep to my question. What shocks will fit the GC coilover conversion kit? I'd rather not go with any other brand.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Dafuq?

The GC "coilover" kit uses eibach springs, but it's not a true coilover system; It's a sleeve that fits over the shock and you move the lower lock ring up and down compresses the spring, versus a regular coilover system that moves up and down based on the lower mount of the shock.

Megan and BC coils are manufactured by the same company so your source is wrong, and also their quality has improved, a lot of 9th and 8th generation accords run them or a number of other coilover brands, please don't make assumptions without proper research.

Stock Front Spring Rate: 183lbs/in
Eibach Spring Rate: 188-303lbs/in progressive spring
Megan Coilovers: 447lbs/in linear spring

Otherwise Truhart has sport shocks available for the 9th gen.

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / TEIN Street Advance / Tein EDFC II / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / Varrstoen ES4 19x9.5 +40 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.40.19 / 20% Suntek Tint / Acura RL BBK / 350z Slotted/Drilled Brembo Rotors / FFC Bracket / Stoptech SS Lines / EVO GSR Enkei Wheels 18x8.5 +38 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 245.40.18 / KTUNER

post #5 of 13 Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Eh. Thanks but no thanks. I like progressive springs better. The stiff spring rates in the coilover kits seem too abusive on the car as a whole, especially for a MacPherson strut setup. Also, the TruHart shocks are shortened therefore demanding a setup that requires a "non adjustable" suspension. Which is pointless and defeats the purpose. I will just wait for a Koni release for the GC kit. In the meantime, I will keep using my factory shocks.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

Koni response

Might be a long wait.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davens View Post
Koni response

Might be a long wait.
But well worth it.

Much better than going with those "Made in Taiwan" coilover brands. Fyi, all the brands that were listed to me. No offense Danni3, why would you compromise your car by going with offshore factory parts?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akechi001 View Post
Much better than going with those "Made in Taiwan" coilover brands. Fyi, all the brands that were listed to me. No offense Danni3, why would you compromise your car by going with offshore factory parts?
Simply because I trust the years of experience other customers had with aftermarket coilovers than someone's thoughts simply because of their country of manufacturing.

Also Tein is manufactured in Japan and regarded as one of the highest quality coilover systems on the market.

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan

post #9 of 13 Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Scratch that. I forgot about the Tein's. But you don't have Teins. If this were a matter of chickens, I wouldn't get my chickens from Taiwan. GC's and Koni's are already reputable for drag setups.

There is a good reason companies make products offshore as well. Cheaper to make with cheaper quality metals and less regulations to follow. This also means that a lot of defective items get on the shelves. A lot of corporations do this.

Just contacted GC. They said they can set me up with whatever spring rate I want.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 AM
on2
banned

GC + Koni is what I'm going to do.

The default spring rate for the GC is 8/6. Quite stiff, should be nice though paired with Konis. Eibach ERS springs are always a plus.

You can use Koni rears that are currently available for the 8th gen.

GC may be working with Koni to get front strut inserts made, but it won't be till after winter and it depends on what other R&D GC will be doing at the time.

If you are going to spend $1000+, then you should only be considering GC + Koni or TEIN.

Don't go for any of those Taiwanese 'true' coilovers.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post
GC + Koni is what I'm going to do.

The default spring rate for the GC is 8/6. Quite stiff, should be nice though paired with Konis. Eibach ERS springs are always a plus.

You can use Koni rears that are currently available for the 8th gen.

GC may be working with Koni to get front strut inserts made, but it won't be till after winter and it depends on what other R&D GC will be doing at the time.

If you are going to spend $1000+, then you should only be considering GC + Koni or TEIN.

Don't go for any of those Taiwanese 'true' coilovers.
Finally. Someone who understands!
post #12 of 13 Old 10-07-2014, 03:56 PM
been around the block

I've driven on all kind of suspension set ups, from coilover sleeves on stock shocks/struts to full out best coilovers on the market.

why not just get TEINs ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Luc View Post
I've driven on all kind of suspension set ups, from coilover sleeves on stock shocks/struts to full out best coilovers on the market.

why not just get TEINs ?
Mainly because I like the adjustability of the GC's and because my brother who used to drag recommended them. He had a sick B20 hatch, a Integra Type R, a rebuilt from pieces 1991 Interga LS, and a Turbocharged 2000 Civic Si. Now he just drives a E46 M3 coupe.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.