Would you consider this destroying a Civic Type R? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Would you consider this destroying a Civic Type R?

There are some comments under this video suggesting the sales manager is damaging this type R....thoughts?

He seems hard on the shifting....Multiple outlets state he has been fired after this video was posted.
Honda of Chantilly states they have "taken appropriate action" What are your thoughts on how this car was driven?!

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Hmmm, I don't see anything wrong. I do that to my RX-8 everyday.

Seriously, though, that's not good for a brand new car. It's still good to not redline it in the first 1000 miles.

Also, I don't think he abused the gearbox, unless there is grinding(which I didn't hear) or shocks(which I didn't see).

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

Baldeagle likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Hmmm, I don't see anything wrong. I do that to my RX-8 everyday.

Seriously, though, that's not good for a brand new car. It's still good to not redline it in the first 1000 miles.

Also, I don't think he abused the gearbox, unless there is grinding.

What I thought was the redline on the engine with such low miles. It does make you wonder if you go to look at a car like this, and it has say 50 miles on it, was it driven like this in the first 50 miles?
If its anything like my old civic was it will probably run forever, plus a manual? If it wernt for the crappy build auto in my civic it probably would have run to 500,000 miles.

i laughed at ....."you'll get mad looks in this car bro" or "its got 20's"

Former:
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX

Current:

post #4 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 11:54 AM
6th Gear

Seems the trans. would be OK, don't think the driver knows how to shift smoothly.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 507K - 2017 EX automatic
post #5 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar_cle View Post
What I thought was the redline on the engine with such low miles. It does make you wonder if you go to look at a car like this, and it has say 50 miles on it, was it driven like this in the first 50 miles?
If its anything like my old civic was it will probably run forever, plus a manual? If it wernt for the crappy build auto in my civic it probably would have run to 500,000 miles.

i laughed at ....."you'll get mad looks in this car bro" or "its got 20's"
It's still good to "break in" the engine.

As for the "mad looks"... Maybe a bit from car people like me(still seeking out for local CTR since I haven't seen one) and cops, but not from other people(especially girls). You will probably want to get a muscle/pony for that. Even the ND MX-5 is more attractive. CTR has too much of the "boy racer's wet dream" looks, and it's still based on one of the most common cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Seems the trans. would be OK, don't think the driver knows how to shift smoothly.
When you are hooning around like that, smoothness isn't a priority in a MT. Das Chicken would know.

scar_cle likes this.

You will be remembered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

If the car was not warmed up prior to the video being started, then yes I would say its abuse, otherwise its just some guy driving extra legal speeds where he probably shouldn't be.

Quote:
When you are hooning around like that, smoothness isn't a priority in a MT. Das Chicken would know.
Yup. I hoon my car like in the video sometimes, i'll do a little burnout in the 1-2 shift. I will also occasionally do high rpm downshifts like he did, but I double clutch, can't tell if he did.
KW2004Accord likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #7 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 12:50 PM
5th Gear

I kept waiting for it to actually burst into flames...

Das Chicken likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Out of Control

I take it these were three sales reps taking the R out for a short "joy" ride. I like the comment about NOT being worth $50,000? This must have been the first R on the lot.

As far damaging the car, that's how the R is supposed to be driven. If he sped, that was wrong. But he did nothing to hurt the car. To qualify that, redlining before the engine is broken-in is bad. If I ever bought a performance car, you better believe I'd floor the crap out of it to make sure I knew what I was buying. But after that test drive I'd select another car with no miles on it for mine. Sort of defines the need for a demonstrator car.

I loved his downshifts, or was that the computer?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #9 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

No I don't. It's designed to be driven like that (& worse.)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
If the car was not warmed up prior to the video being started, then yes I would say its abuse, otherwise its just some guy driving extra legal speeds where he probably shouldn't be.
That's another good point.

It's funny how it seems like my RX-8 is the only car that has a variable redline that lifts depending on the coolant temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I loved his downshifts, or was that the computer?
Does CTR have auto rev match?

You will be remembered.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:

It's funny how it seems like my RX-8 is the only car that has a variable redline that lifts depending on the coolant temp.

Some BMWs have it. One of the M's, probably M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #12 of 18 Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
IMO it's better in the long run to drive the ever-loving **** out of a car, than lock it up in a garage for a couple of decades. But if you're doing the latter you're gonna be selling it to some rich kid/retiree who will have to replace every seal and hose on the car, so why would you care anyway.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #13 of 18 Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
IMO it's better in the long run to drive the ever-loving **** out of a car, than lock it up in a garage for a couple of decades. But if you're doing the latter you're gonna be selling it to some rich kid/retiree who will have to replace every seal and hose on the car, so why would you care anyway.

Came across this video when searching you tube videos of accords/civics/ hondas in general and wondered how this car still runs? When I picture "running it hard" this is what I think of, moreso than redline shifts.
This kids has multiple videos destroying his Accord. And it keeps running. Try that with a Ford or Chevy....

Former:
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX

Current:
post #14 of 18 Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar_cle View Post
This kids has multiple videos destroying his Accord. And it keeps running. Try that with a Ford or Chevy....
May I present to the court exhibits (A) and (B):

Both previously owned by the same person, both had the hell thoroughly beaten out of them, and both kept running.

The Cavalier was still running when it was sold in 2013, in the pictured condition. It had a punctured radiator at the time that photo was taken (being used as a moving van), which occurred after it was T-boned at 30 MPH whilst sitting still, and run dry of oil, and hit by a police cruiser, and involved in multiple collisions with deer. It survived at least 10 years of this treatment.

The Accord got off easy in comparison. Running on 3 cylinders, no coolant left in the overflow tank (I have NO idea how this happened because the car doesn't leak coolant whatsoever!), a few collisions, missing driver's side mirror glass, frozen left front caliper (dragging brakes) and a heavily clogged air filter. It survived just over 3 years of that treatment and PO recently mentioned the car wouldn't have lasted another year under their use. Haha. Not saying Selene isn't a trooper, but generally, domestic-made small passenger cars of that era for the general public can take a beating.
scar_cle likes this.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #15 of 18 Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:

{bolded}

I believe the 9th gens have that if it's the same as the RX ! If cold start and cold temperature outside if you try to kick it above 3K on the automatic, it cuts back the RPM's to under 2K by itself.

Would that be the same as the RX?

Or a different animal altogether because it's an automatic?

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.