Does all Honda MT nowadays have the rev hang? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
  • 3 Post By Baldeagle
  • 1 Post By UnknownJinX
  • 1 Post By jimijam
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Does all Honda MT nowadays have the rev hang?

So I have a part-time job as a DD. Tonight, I got a call from my boss because I can drive a MT well.

The clients(very chill couple; the Australian dude told me he used to mod and race cars) have an Acura CSX with a 5-speed. It was a nice little car with a pretty good gear stick; it wasn't like the 10th Gen Civic I sat in at the dealer where I couldn't even tell which gear I was getting into because they are so close together.

One thing that kinda makes it harder for me to drive, though, is the rev hang. I see it being mentioned here a lot. I would lift my foot off the gas, clutch in, shift, clutch out at a moderate speed, and there would be a slight jerk. I eventually noticed that the RPM would stay for a little bit before it starts to drop. I eventually could drive the car smoothly, but that meant letting the clutch out super, super gently and slowly.

So is that just a thing with Honda MT? That will really put me off if I were to consider a Honda MT car in the future. Neither my Corolla and RX-8 have the rev hang.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 AM
Out of Control

Yup! Honda provides a very good but definitely not the best MT experience. You must learn to adjust to it.

To be specific, you must take your foot off the gas slowly with each shift to make it smooth. Its not clutch speed; its gas pedal speed. Take your foot off the gas too fast a lower rpm and the drive train gets clunky. Shift quickly at high rpm and rev hang plus the slave cylinder's delay valve prevents a sharp clutch engagement and the clutch slips as the rpm slowly fall to match the input shaft's speed. That hurts peak acceleration.

Honda's don't like fast footwork. It's not horrible, but Honda no longer deserves an A+ for their MTs like they did 20 years ago. You can get Ktuner to fix rev hang and remove the delay valve to improve clutch speed, but why should anybody have to do that?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
boring 08 EX (11-24-2017), MrRangerZr1 (11-26-2017)
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
So I have a part-time job as a DD.
Forgive me but what is a DD?

The rev hang has been around a few years, it would drive me bonkers.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 AM
pessimistic optimist

Delivery Driver? Destructive Device? The rev hang has been with us since Honda transitioned from throttle cables to Drive By Wire. The KTuner is the only known CURE that I am aware of. I hate the rev-hang with a burning passion as it makes me look (nay, sound) like a rookie driver when I try to perform a high RPM upshift and the accursed situation so excellently described by Baldeagle occurs.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Yup! Honda provides a very good but definitely not the best MT experience. You must learn to adjust to it.

To be specific, you must take your foot off the gas slowly with each shift to make it smooth. Its not clutch speed; its gas pedal speed. Take your foot off the gas too fast a lower rpm and the drive train gets clunky. Shift quickly at high rpm and rev hang plus the slave cylinder's delay valve prevents a sharp clutch engagement and the clutch slips as the rpm slowly fall to match the input shaft's speed. That hurts peak acceleration.

Honda's don't like fast footwork. It's not horrible, but Honda no longer deserves an A+ for their MTs like they did 20 years ago. You can get Ktuner to fix rev hang and remove the delay valve to improve clutch speed, but why should anybody have to do that?
Thanks for the answer. If I drive a newer Honda MT at some point, I will have to keep that in mind. I am used to being fast in my RX-8 now.

As for the gas pedal, I did lift off the gas pedal pretty quickly, but the thing is that I wasn't really pressing it down much because it's someone else's car. I am not sure how much the pedal travels in the CSX.

Is there a good reason they implemented the rev hang? I wonder if it's on the Civic Si or Type R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

The rev hang has been around a few years, it would drive me bonkers.
Designated driver. Basically, if someone drinks, I help them get their car home safely with them.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
teezythakidd likes this.

You will be remembered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Dominatrix Disciplinarian
TrueBlueV6 likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

To be fair to Honda, I first encountered rev hang on a 1997 GMC S-15 pickup truck I bought new. I didn't know what it was and it nearly drove me to drink. Two years later I traded the truck for a 1999 Honda Civic HX, which had MT but no rev hang. Loved that car. My point, I guess, is that other makes have rev hang as well, so it's not just a Honda thing.

2015 Accord Touring that purple-red color
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T pearly white color
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky13 View Post
other makes have rev hang as well, so it's not just a Honda thing.
Zactly. Just about even modern car on the road in the US, and some motorcycles built within the lasts 10 years has it thanks to our emissions regulations. This includes the WRX that a few fanboys here are so in love with.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

I find the MT good, and I have been driving Honda MT since the 70s. I thought the sluggish rev was from the drive-by-wire set up. Didn't seem to bother me much now that I don't mess around with heel/toe stuff any more.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelnod View Post
I find the MT good, and I have been driving Honda MT since the 70s. I thought the sluggish rev was from the drive-by-wire set up. Didn't seem to bother me much now that I don't mess around with heel/toe stuff any more.
Well, my RX-8 uses DBW and it doesn't have any rev-hang. You let off the gas, the rev drops, no BS, no nonsense.

It might depend on the type of car. I know most cars nowadays have the rev drop more slowly due to emission reasons, but they don't have the rev hang.

You will be remembered.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2017, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, my RX-8 uses DBW and it doesn't have any rev-hang. You let off the gas, the rev drops, no BS, no nonsense.

It might depend on the type of car. I know most cars nowadays have the rev drop more slowly due to emission reasons, but they don't have the rev hang.
No doubt. I am sure that other sportier cars do not have rev hang. I only noticed it more since DBW came along especially with my 2006 CRV.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.