Admitting you have a problem is the first step - Honda fall from grace - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
6Likes
  • 1 Post By slimm1469
  • 2 Post By Choochoo123
  • 2 Post By boring 08 EX
  • 1 Post By enne
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Elvira - the car

Admitting you have a problem is the first step - Honda fall from grace

Pretty much what we've been sayin' all along !!!

Interesting article about Honda's slip from grace and what they're gonna do about it.

Few quotes.....

"There's no doubt we lost our mojo — our way as an engineering company that made Honda Honda," Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo

"The upshot was, as we obsessed about Toyota and beating it in the marketplace, we started to look like Toyota. We started to forget why we existed as a company to begin with," Honda R&D President and CEO Yoshiyuki Matsumoto

By the end of 2008, Horikoshi's team was wrapping up the Civic design. Half a year behind schedule, they were still $200 short of the cost target per car.

"I already had my pants down to my ankles — nothing more to shed," Horikoshi said.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
enne (09-12-2017), KW2004Accord (09-08-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 09:25 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

No American company I know of has been this open about effing up their brand. Toyota did this as well, and admitted it similarly.

Miker likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

Hopefully, this means cars with more engaging drives and driver control.
Miker and Das Chicken like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 04:40 AM
pessimistic optimist

A sign that the "old ways" are slowly being changed in the homeland for these manufacturers. In the 1980's such an admission by the head of a car company would be followed by his resignation and public shaming. The culture in Japan doesn't reward admitting ones failures openly. It also shows that even the almighty Honda can fall prey to malaise...
Miker and enne like this.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
So what they're saying is they're gonna get rid of all the unnecessary technology in their cars in favor of long-lasting components that Honda used to be known for? Get out of the electric and technology races and keep making cars for the rest of the population who aren't interested in, or wealthy enough, to afford cars with all of those features.

All of these statements are made purely in my interest and not actual business strategy advice to Honda, though that would be nice. Would I actually consider buying the all-new 2020 Honda Accord DX, whose features include automatic and manual transmission options, a hatchback/aerodeck option, USB-only music system and a simple engine that gets 40+ MPG highway, with prices starting at $17,000 USD? Hell yes I would.

Put engineering funds into the suspension and engine instead of cameras and sensors. A brand new 2018 Toyota Yaris is $17,000.00+. It's a tiny car with a bunch of unnecessary tech, with a crappy engine and transmission. But it connects to your iPhone, so you can drown out the experience of driving a tin can on wheels with Bruno Mars, or whatever kids are listening to nowadays.

I can afford and would be fine with a $17k Honda with less features, that will last 10+ years. When you get into $20k territory, that's when you scare away people like me (who don't own a home, are not married and are living paycheck to paycheck). I have many, many friends who drive small disappointing cars because they couldn't afford anything else. Do the opposite of that, Honda.

Offbeat Oddity likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochoo123 View Post
Hopefully, this means cars with more engaging drives and driver control.
That sounds like Mazda.

I agree that Honda seems to be more like Toyota now, although still not quite as boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
So what they're saying is they're gonna get rid of all the unnecessary technology in their cars in favor of long-lasting components that Honda used to be known for? Get out of the electric and technology races and keep making cars for the rest of the population who aren't interested in, or wealthy enough, to afford cars with all of those features.

All of these statements are made purely in my interest and not actual business strategy advice to Honda, though that would be nice. Would I actually consider buying the all-new 2020 Honda Accord DX, whose features include automatic and manual transmission options, a hatchback/aerodeck option, USB-only music system and a simple engine that gets 40+ MPG highway, with prices starting at $17,000 USD? Hell yes I would.

Put engineering funds into the suspension and engine instead of cameras and sensors. A brand new 2018 Toyota Yaris is $17,000.00+. It's a tiny car with a bunch of unnecessary tech, with a crappy engine and transmission. But it connects to your iPhone, so you can drown out the experience of driving a tin can on wheels with Bruno Mars, or whatever kids are listening to nowadays.

I can afford and would be fine with a $17k Honda with less features, that will last 10+ years. When you get into $20k territory, that's when you scare away people like me (who don't own a home, are not married and are living paycheck to paycheck). I have many, many friends who drive small disappointing cars because they couldn't afford anything else. Do the opposite of that, Honda.
Well, cars will need to go forward otherwise we have, you know, the Russian Lada.

I think there is a Romanian car company that does make bare bone cars nowadays.

Making a car that is actually affordable is not necessary, since dealerships can sell people anything, even if you can't really afford it. The demise of Accord DX is an example of this.

Personally, I think there is a balance between durability and technology. Something like my Corolla, that's too little technology. I would prefer an AC in the summer, but there are stuff that's just gimmicks nowadays.

And hey, some pop songs are still good. Personally, I like 80% of the stuff played on the Sirius XM Hits 1.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

Honda's core models (Accord, Civic, and CR-V) are far more competitive than they were at the start of the decade, so I think they're on the right track. However, it seems reliability has slipped a little bit over the past few years, so I hope Honda tries to improve in that area.

Current: 2007 Honda Accord EX- Carbon Bronze Pearl: 2010-2014; 2017-

Previous: 2011 Honda CRV EX Opal Sage Metallic- 2014-2017
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.