What will happen to the Earthdreams 4 cylinder and to the current 6 cylinder? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
What will happen to the Earthdreams 4 cylinder and to the current 6 cylinder?

So Honda developed these two nice engines and after 5 years (in the 9th Gens), dropped them from the Accord line-up.

In which cars/trucks/SUVs, etc (Honda and Acura) will these engines live on in?

The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
sLAKERZ (08-21-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Could the I4 be turboed for an Acura? What kind of horsepower could it make with a turbo? 300+?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Jimmy Rustler

I believe it will continue on in the CR-V and the ILX.

It is also the AUDM Odyssey's engine.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 AM
Out of Control

Interesting thoughts. Porsche offers a 2.0T and a 2.5T four cylinder engine in their Cayman. I've never driven either, but the magazines claim the 2.5T operates on a completely higher order of magnitude. The primary reason? Less boost. The 2.0T has about 20 psi off boost verses about 14psi for the 2.5T. With only 14 psi, the 2.5T has much less turbo lag. With an extra .5-liters of displacement, it has also provides more off-boost torque to still feel responsive.

I think Honda should have made the 2.4-liter their turbo. It could produce the same power (or more) with less boost. Less boost also means less heat. (Perhaps the Type R might not have overheated on track day with less boost.) Less boost also means better fuel economy when under load. If Mazda ever puts their 2.5T in their Mazda6, I think Honda could be in trouble.

If Acura ever uses the 2.4 as a turbo, it could be a huge winner.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 AM
6th Gear

Pilot and ridge line, plus the respective acuras for the 3.5

Was the 2013 earth dreams 2.4 a drastically different engine from the previous 2.4? I thought they just tweaked the previous 2.4 and added direct injection?

I see the 2.4 being dropped. Solid engine but they've massaged it as far as it will go. Smaller turbo 4s are the trend and the momentum keeps building. I'm assuming if Honda could have simply turbo charged it to make more power they would have but it was built as a naturally aspirated engine so I'm sure it made more sense to develop a new engine to meet regulations and have it be turbo focused from the ground up.

V6s on V6s
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
But what would they put it in? I know it wasn't the same exact engine (today's technology could easily get 300hp or 300 lb/ft out of such an engine, especially on premium), but Acura seems to have deemed the previous 2.4T a failure and quickly dropped it on the RDX in favor of the V6. If they are smart, one of the luxury brands will come up with a 2.0 V6 with a turbo, and they will be able to charge a nice premium on it. Till this day, I don't know how BMW gets away with that 2.0T I4 engine in a 5 series that starts at north of $50K.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 08:45 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Interesting thoughts. Porsche offers a 2.0T and a 2.5T four cylinder engine in their Cayman. I've never driven either, but the magazines claim the 2.5T operates on a completely higher order of magnitude. The primary reason? Less boost. The 2.0T has about 20 psi off boost verses about 14psi for the 2.5T. With only 14 psi, the 2.5T has much less turbo lag. With an extra .5-liters of displacement, it has also provides more off-boost torque to still feel responsive.

I think Honda should have made the 2.4-liter their turbo. It could produce the same power (or more) with less boost. Less boost also means less heat. (Perhaps the Type R might not have overheated on track day with less boost.) Less boost also means better fuel economy when under load. If Mazda ever puts their 2.5T in their Mazda6, I think Honda could be in trouble.

The entire point of a turbo is to allow for smaller displacement engines to make up for the fuel economy. If they went 2.4T the fuel economy would drop but we would have 350HP LX accords. They could easily turbo the 2.4 if they wanted, just redesign the heads and improve the internals, but at the point it is basically a new designed engine and they didn't improve fuel mileage which was the initial goal.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

I thought the "Earthdreams" is jut another variation of the K24 introduced in the Accord in 2003?

Wife's
2007 Accord EX-L coupe J30A5 automatic Cool Blue-Black Interior
17mm rear bar, BFG COMP-2 A/S, Philips 9006 CrystalVision Ultra, interior LEDs, 3m Ceramic 40%

Mine
2016 Mazda6 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

Gone:
2007 Accord EX-L sedan J30A5 6-speed For Mazda6
2007 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 manual Totaled
2007 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 automatic For Wife's coupe
2004 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 manual Leased
2003 Acura TL-S sedan Leased
post #9 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrian View Post
I thought the "Earthdreams" is jut another variation of the K24 introduced in the Accord in 2003?
It is, but with many changes over the K24A or K24Z:

Quote:
Honda’s first DI engine in North America, branded as “Earth Dreams,” is loaded with compelling technologies, including a forged-steel crankshaft with journals micropolished to reduce friction and a pair of chain-driven counter-rotating balance shafts located in the oil pan to offset harmonic vibrations inherent in 4-cyl. engines.

The addition of fuel being injected directly required a completely re-engineered combustion chamber and a new “dished” surface for the piston crowns to enable stable combustion and proper distribution of the stratified fuel charge.

The flatter, more compact combustion chamber reduces unburned hydrocarbon emissions and contributes to a higher compression ratio of 11.1:1, up from 10.5:1 on the previous 2.4L.

Within the cylinder, engineers set out to reduce sliding friction by offsetting the bores from the crankshaft by 0.3 ins. (8 mm), which gives the connecting rods a more favorable angle during each power stroke, boosting efficiency.

Mass was taken out wherever possible, resulting in a 3.5% reduction in overall engine weight compared with Honda’s previous-generation 2.4L.

Part of that weight savings comes from eliminating the exhaust manifold – an emerging trend for a number of new engines – and incorporating exhaust passages directly into the cylinder head.

This new design allows the close-coupled catalyst to mount directly to the cylinder head, on the front side of the engine, enabling it to heat up faster for reduced emissions. The transversely oriented 2.4L also stands more upright now, whereas the previous engine vented on the back side and slanted rearward 15 degrees.

All this technology adds up to an engine that caught WardsAuto editors off-guard for its power and smoothness.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
The 2.4L and 3.5L found in the 9GA should still be found in the TLX, the 3.5L would be in the MDX, Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey. The ILX should get the 1.5T as it shares the same structure and base as the 9th Gen civic; same goes with the RDX. Unless if Acura throws a curve ball for the 2020 TLX with the 2.0T as the base engine, as it is more likely that they will do that. The MDX that we just bought has a nice 290 HP, as more HP would be appreciated if Acura ever does that to catch up to the market (BMW & MB).

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.