Blinker spasms - Bad Turn signal relay? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 2 Post By MasterTactician
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Blinker spasms - Bad Turn signal relay?

Before I go spend $15 on a new relay, I hoped someone could confirm if the below symptoms point to a bad turn signal relay.

In short, the blinkers on my 2007 Accord LX have been acting up the last few weeks, especially during the first ~10min of driving. Sometimes they will blink faster than they should, sometimes slower. The issue always occurs on both sides identically. Interestingly, voltage (car off vs on) seems to make a difference. The exterior lights behave identically to the indicators.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 AM
4th Gear

Usually a burnt out bulb will cause the blinker speed to change... I assume u checked all the lights.. a bad relay seems likely if the bulbs are fine..

here and now:
2007 Accord EX-L I4
1999 BMW M3 coupe
previously owned:
2004 Accord EX V6 auto
2003 Accord EX V6 auto
post #3 of 9 Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
No, that's not a burnt bulb. That is definitely the turn signal relay, same thing happened to me over the summer. I had a road trip to go on so I had to **** it up and buy it from a dealer for $35. Takes a few minutes to change.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI

post #4 of 9 Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks. I ordered , and shall update this once it arrives.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Case report

Well, I'm happy to report that the new relay did indeed resolve the problem. Installation took less than 5min, and was greatly aided by a . I'll consolidate the instructions below in case anyone else has this issue. I did take apart the bad relay, and found no outward sign of malfunction:

Diagnosis:

1. Pressed the hazard switch. Right side OK, but no left turn signal or lights.

2. Checked the tail turn signal by swapping passenger and driver bulbs. (bulbs twist out). At least the rear bulbs were OK. The wiring seemed intact, with no water leaks, etc.

3. Tested the circuit by removing flasher relay. Inserted a jumper wire between the 2 and 6 locations. The front, rear and dash turn lights all checked OK.

Relay: Honda part 38300-SDB-A03. $23 bucks at local dealer; $15 at autozone for generic (38300-SDB-A03).

Removing the under-dash panel (remove the left screw first) and removing the relay (REALLY TIGHT FIT):

1. The relay is located under the driver side right above the fuse panel. The relay is top-right.

2. SURPRISE! It's a tight, somewhat awkward location, so I removed a trim panel. The panel is held in by three trim clips in the front (toward YOU), and really simply rests on top of the main dash trim. I removed the screw on the lower-left side and was able to get a hand under the panel to pop out the clips.

3. Removing the relay. It has two small clip wings on either side. and held in place by somewhat flimsy plastic. I put a small screwdriver on each side to GENTLY pull back the retaining clips and used a big-jawed PLIER to remove the relay -- it's REALLY held in tight. I wrapped some cloth (hockey) tape around it first.

4. The relay backplane has a offset keyhole which mounts to the lower left.

Notes:

Taking off the trim panel is key. Without taking that panel off, it is nearly impossible to get the flasher relay out. It seemed a bit tricky at first. But after you take the screw above the fuse panel door off as in the photo above, you can wedge your finger in the top of the trim panel and get it unhooked from the three snaps. Don't be afraid to use a little force here.

After getting the trim panel off, it was fairly straightforward. The flasher relay was in there tightly but if you wiggle it while trying to undo the plastic wings, it will eventually come out of the socket. In my case, it didn't seem that difficult to get out by wiggling it.

Also, when diagnosing the problem, you can eliminate the case of the front turn signal bulb being burned out by just using the remote entry to try to unlock the doors. When you click unlock on the remote, both of the front turn signals should light! Mine both lit so I knew the bulbs were good. This will eliminate the somewhat undesirable task of going through the splash guard to remove the front turn signal bulb to check if it's burned out. The rear turn signal bulbs are easy to get to and check from the inside the trunk.

forindooruse and Amar like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
You're easy money.

I'm a little confused, once you remove that screw should you fit your hand in and just try and pry that panel off to access the relay?

'04 Eternal Blue Pearl K24 sedan
White Led Interior/Trunk/License plate/reverse lights/turn signals
OEM Spoiler
K&N Typhoon SRI intake 60-1209ts with AEM dry filter
V6 Battery upgrade
TSX intake manifold swap (Favorite mod so far!)
Intake resonator removed
Strut bar installed
Rear Acura TL base sway bar
Lowered on Tein SS coilovers (finally!)
Hella horn upgrade
35% tint all around
Aftermarket TSX header installed

post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
My First Post

Smile I had same issue and replaced Flasher Relay

- thanks for the post with detailed steps to replace Flasher Relay.

My 2004 Accord EX left turn signal died completely. As the lights work in parking mode, I was confident it was the Relay and bought the part from Honda dealer for $27+tax and replaced it in 15 minutes to get it back to work!

thank you!
Naga
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Looking for some advise....

2004 Accord Coupe.

My driver's side front flasher started acting up the other day. It doesn't flash at all. The passenger's side flasher and rear flashers all work, however the driver's side rear fast flashes. The dash indicator fast flashes on the driver's side as well. Using the hazard switch causes all to flash at the normal rate except the driver's side front doesn't flash at all. Running lights, both driver's side and passenger's side, work fine.

I've tried the following based on the comments in this forum and elsewhere:

1. Installed new flasher relay. Same symptoms at first, but then all worked normally for half a day. I replaced with relay Part No. R6232 from Advance Auto parts. It was a Mitsuba branded part. They also had one by Omron under R6234, but that was a few bucks more.
2. Swapped front driver's side and front passenger's side flasher bulbs. All worked normally for a full day of driving with two start/stops. I was in the middle of a turn this morning and saw the dash indicator go from fast blink to normal, then back to fast.

It's odd to me that the issue comes and goes, especially after the bulb swap. I am thinking of buying two new flasher bulbs and replacing both fronts. Thoughts? Could it be a grounding issue or something else?

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylavino View Post
Looking for some advise....

2004 Accord Coupe.

My driver's side front flasher started acting up the other day. It doesn't flash at all. The passenger's side flasher and rear flashers all work, however the driver's side rear fast flashes. The dash indicator fast flashes on the driver's side as well. Using the hazard switch causes all to flash at the normal rate except the driver's side front doesn't flash at all. Running lights, both driver's side and passenger's side, work fine.

I've tried the following based on the comments in this forum and elsewhere:

1. Installed new flasher relay. Same symptoms at first, but then all worked normally for half a day. I replaced with relay Part No. R6232 from Advance Auto parts. It was a Mitsuba branded part. They also had one by Omron under R6234, but that was a few bucks more.
2. Swapped front driver's side and front passenger's side flasher bulbs. All worked normally for a full day of driving with two start/stops. I was in the middle of a turn this morning and saw the dash indicator go from fast blink to normal, then back to fast.

It's odd to me that the issue comes and goes, especially after the bulb swap. I am thinking of buying two new flasher bulbs and replacing both fronts. Thoughts? Could it be a grounding issue or something else?

Thanks!
Hi, I have the same problem with my Honda Accord 2003, I changed the flasher relay and continue with the same failure. How did you fix it?
Advertisement

Tags
2007, accord, blinkers, relay, turn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.