Interior lighting question...dome lights - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Interior lighting question...dome lights

I can NOT figure this out. I've googled the crap out of it. I have a 2006 Accord EX V6 Leather with Navigation.

My dome light (or map lights I guess you would call them) used to come on automatically when you opened the door, or when you remove the key from the ignition. They used to come on when the door opened, and after starting the car, they would fade off. First, the driver side stopped working, then a week or two later the passenger side also quit. I can push on the lights and they work just fine, so I know it isn't a bad bulb. And yes, I have double and triple-checked to make sure the switch is on the door position. Also, my light for the seat heater on the driver side has been out for over a year. Could these be related? I am more concerned about the overhead lights right now.

The overhead light in the back seat works just fine, so I don't think it is any kind of issue with sensing when the doors are opened.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
&# You 3rd Gear!

I had a similar problem and it was a blown fuse. Check the fuse boxes for the interior lights. There's 2 fuse boxes(not sure which one it is) one in the engine bay and one under the steering wheel, bottom left side. Good Luck!

2006 HONDA ACCORD EX COUPE V6 6MT
Taffeta White
Blitzsafe AUX Interface Adapter Kit
AudioPipe 6"x9" Rear Speakers
30% Tint All Around
DDM Tuning 5000K HID
Nokya 2500K 65W Hyper Yellow S1
OEM Rear Spoiler
Trunk Cargo Net

Previous Car:
1998 Acura Integra LS Coupe 5MT - 254k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

checked all the fuses. that wasn't it. i don't think any of the interior lights would work if it were a fuse. anyone else got any ideas?

post #4 of 25 Old 10-03-2011, 10:35 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

The heated seat bulb is burned out. It has nothing to do with your map lights. The bulbs are easy to replace. Visit any Honda parts site and browse the Electrical/Switches section for the bulb part numbers. If the console switch is set for Door, and they still don't work, you probably have an electrical problem. Does the main dome light turn on when you open the door?
post #5 of 25 Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

yes the other overhead light works fine and both are set to door. I have searched here and googled it a ton......it seems like a very common issue yet no one has a clear answer on how to fix it. i did read one thing that said to push it in several times and that worked.....until i tried to do the same thing on the other side. then back to square one. this is so annoying. it used to work just fine. and as i said above, it looks like this happens a lot on accords
post #6 of 25 Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
6th Gear

Now that you've eliminated the possibility of fuses and the switch being in the wrong position you need to continue you're troubleshooting. I always believe in starting with the most simple, easy, and inexpensive things first - - even if they don't seem to be most likely cause. At least you've eliminated them as possibilities with little effort or expense. And sometimes you get lucky.

With the door open and and your light misbehaving try lightly jiggling the door switch. That may tell you it may be the trigger switch.

Try taking the bulbs out of the map lights. Clean the contacts. They could be slightly corroded causing erratic behavior. While in there, take a look to see if you can see where the push switch is for the map lights. Try a little contact cleaner in there - again to defeat any potential corrosion there.

Have you replaced the bulbs? Bulbs don't always immediately 100% fail. The filament inside could be starting to fail or getting a little loose. Either could cause erratic behavior. Bulbs don't cost that much.

Here's a thread that should help you to remove the map light covers.

Changing dome/reading light ?

Good luck. I have an ulterior motive in helping you. My driver side map light is starting to misbehave sort of like yours. My problem has been minor and very intermittent and simply hasn't bothered me enough to fool with it yet. I hope you'll post post your results which will in turn help me.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #7 of 25 Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

thanks but i have already taken the covers off and cleaned. i haven't replaced the bulbs yet.....i really doubt that is the problem. as far as the door swith....it should work with any of the 4 doors opening.....and the back one comes on every time
post #8 of 25 Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Map light problems

I have a 2009 ex-l which had erratic map light problems, i.e. one or the other lights would not work or both would not work. On one occasion I could push the switch for one light and the opposite side light would come on. I finally removed the assembly (which is commonly referred to as the base) and noticed that the back side of the lamp socket connectors are connected to the circuit using steel blades that function as a friction fit between a terminal lug type connection. Steel to steel friction contact is not the preferred method of transferring current from one source to another. I soldered the four connection points and eliminated all my problems. I believe that during the aging process of the steel to steel connection that contact resistance built up and thus very erratic reliability. Contact resistance can be very difficult to isolate as a simple vibration or movement can restore the electrical connection but will likely surface repeatedly. If those connectors had been copper or gold coated (gold would be cost prohibitive) or maybe a tighter fit between the connectors, this problem would likely not exist. If you decide to solder the connections on your vehicle, use a good flux and after completing the work, clean any remaining flux residue using denatured alcohol, acetone or other good cleaning agent. Use caution if using acetone as it may not be kind to many plastic materials. I used pressurized carb cleaner and also burnished the contact area in which the bulbs fit. I am a bit surprised that Honda has not corrected this problem for later models as the same or similar problems has been surfaced in several year models.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Fabb

Sorry for hijacking the thread. But if you have an lx is there anyway to get the map lights to turn on whenever you open your doors just like it does for the ex? Has anyone done a mod for this?

I love my Honda <3
post #10 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timice1 View Post
I can NOT figure this out. I've googled the crap out of it. I have a 2006 Accord EX V6 Leather with Navigation.

My dome light (or map lights I guess you would call them) used to come on automatically when you opened the door, or when you remove the key from the ignition. They used to come on when the door opened, and after starting the car, they would fade off. First, the driver side stopped working, then a week or two later the passenger side also quit. I can push on the lights and they work just fine, so I know it isn't a bad bulb. And yes, I have double and triple-checked to make sure the switch is on the door position. Also, my light for the seat heater on the driver side has been out for over a year. Could these be related? I am more concerned about the overhead lights right now.

The overhead light in the back seat works just fine, so I don't think it is any kind of issue with sensing when the doors are opened.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Did you get this fixed? What was the cause? I have the same problem. It's been going on for a couple years. Didn't bother me over the summer 'cause it's never dark when I drive. Now is the time of year where it's starting to be dark whenever I get in the car. It's sure nice to have the lights come on.

Back light works fine and each door light works. Map lights in front don't. I've taken the bulbs out and cleaned. Passenger side then worked for about a week now neither work again.

thanks.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #11 of 25 Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Back at it again!

This is a really old thread. I am sure he got it fixed already. This seems to be a common problem as I am in the same situation.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 AM
5th Gear

Thanks Soclean. I did't want to ask the question and get the standard "do a search" response.

After searching the internet I found this same issue with the CRV and Ridgeline posted on several forums. The solution is to replace the base which is part number 34404-SDA-A21 and available many places on line for under $40.

In tinkering with mine this weekend, when I tried to pop off the drivers side lens, the light went on. It stayed on so I pushed the switch to turn it off and it would not come on again. After doing this several times I got it to work with the doors over the weekend. We'll see today. Passenger side would not work at all. Guess I will order the new base.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #13 of 25 Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM
<= Jeep differential LOL.

My driver map light has been erratic for the past 4 months or so, and finally quit coming on when key removed/door opened. Bulb is fine as I can still turn it on manually, but is is aggravating.

2004 4Cyl/5MT Sedan Sold 3/14/15
Save the Manuals!
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R
post #14 of 25 Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbar View Post
My driver map light has been erratic for the past 4 months or so, and finally quit coming on when key removed/door opened. Bulb is fine as I can still turn it on manually, but is is aggravating.
It sounds like how mine's been behaving for at least a year now. When it first started, I began to periodically turn it on and off manually fairly often. I suspect that might have extended the life of mine. Anyhow, I ran across and saved this link that looks to me to have the cure for the problem. If you try it please let me know if it worked for you.

Map light console acting strange

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #15 of 25 Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM
<= Jeep differential LOL.

Tomorrow I'm going to solder the spade connector between the switch and bulb holder and see what happens. I'll post pics if it works.

2004 4Cyl/5MT Sedan Sold 3/14/15
Save the Manuals!
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R
Advertisement

Tags
dome light, door, map light, open

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.