• 1 Post By Radkermit
  • 4 Post By beardohio
  • 1 Post By easymike
  • 2 Post By easymike
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

headlight restoration

My headlights are getting pretty foggy. I tried a kit about a year ago and it didn't come out well at all. Have you guys had your headlights done at a shop or did it yourself? How'd it turn out?

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 04:34 AM
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4

My brother used bug spray. Actually did a great job.

Name: ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1445340757.940339.jpg
Views: 474
Size: 263.1 KB

I bought some lens restoring compound, but I was spending 5-10 minutes of rubbing hard on a 5 square centimeter area, and would have taken days to finish one side. I just don't have that kind of time!

Stevo
2007 Accord Coupe EX 5MT - Nighthawk Black Pearl
post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 07:02 AM
radio-pro.ru Sponsor

You can try Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit It removes the haze and discoloration from weathered headlight lenses, so headlights can shine brightly. The kit comes with everything needed, including instructions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda Accord
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

I don't recommend the bug spray route. My friend "helped" by spraying mine before I could say anything. Short term fix. After a couple weeks both look worse.

Better visibility is a safety issue, take the time to do it right. There are a lot of kits, I used the 3M kit and XPEL protection. I figure should be good for another 10 years!
beardohio likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radkermit For This Useful Post:
hondastevo02 (10-20-2015), RickBlaine (10-20-2015)
post #5 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkermit View Post
I don't recommend the bug spray route. My friend "helped" by spraying mine before I could say anything. Short term fix. After a couple weeks both look worse.

Better visibility is a safety issue, take the time to do it right. There are a lot of kits, I used the 3M kit and XPEL protection. I figure should be good for another 10 years!

Good to know. I'll pass that along, thanks.

The compound I used was kind of blue-ish. Can't remember the brand currently. I'll try one of the products mentioned here or above and see if I can clean up my old assemblies. Hanging on to them for a retrofit soon!

Stevo
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM
O-H-I-O

Garage
Had a mobile detailing guy do it for me.

He used three different types of sandpaper, polished it, and sealed it. I re-sealed it a few months later and will continue to do so every few months. Here is a before/after:

Noticeably better vision at night.

Beard

2003 Honda Accord | EX Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T | SOLD

2011 Honda CR-V | EX-L 2.4L I4 A/T | 35k

"What's behind you doesn't matter." -Enzo Ferrari
post #7 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 07:59 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Use the 3M kit. The only way to really fix it is to either replace, or wet sand the lens. 3M kit has sand paper and polishing compound, then you wax to slow down further degradation in the future.

I used this kit to smooth out scratches from another car on my headlight, but have also tried it on hazy plexi-glass for my bearded dragon enclosure and it worked there too.
Attached Images
hondastevo02 likes this.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #8 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardohio View Post
Had a mobile detailing guy do it for me.

He used three different types of sandpaper, polished it, and sealed it. I re-sealed it a few months later and will continue to do so every few months. Here is a before/after:

Noticeably better vision at night.
^^^^ This is the proper method. Sand, polish, seal.
hondastevo02 and beardohio like this.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #9 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Bug spray melts- yes, it melts, the plastic headlight lens. Looks great for a week then you are worse off. Used car dealers do this all the time.

Vandals have known about bug spray for years- it ruins plastic. My Timex IronMan watch came with a warning- do not apply bug spray to your arms while wearing this watch.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-20-2015, 08:33 AM
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Bug spray melts- yes, it melts, the plastic headlight lens. Looks great for a week then you are worse off. Used car dealers do this all the time.

Vandals have known about bug spray for years- it ruins plastic. My Timex IronMan watch came with a warning- do not apply bug spray to your arms while wearing this watch.

HA! Having a science background you'da thunk I would have made that connection! I think my wife passed the prego brain to me after our baby was born 8 months ago...

I can hear the little voice of reason screaming in my head sometimes, but sounds like he's buried under a mile of rubble!

Stevo
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Seventh Gen Rider

Youtube user "ChrisFix" posted a detailed tutorial on this.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 AM
4th Gear

I've used the Griot's Garage kit on my kid's 04. Sand, smooth, and seal in one box. $30. So far, it's lasted a year and a half with no deterioration.

'13 Accord EX-L V6 coupe w/navi, 58K (my daily ride)
'14 Sonata GLS, 23K (wife's grocery getter)
'14 Kia Forte LX, 56K (kid's car at college)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.