Dash lights are out...Aftermarket LED Ambient Lighting? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Dash lights are out...Aftermarket LED Ambient Lighting?

The stereo in the '04 Accord LX died a few months ago. A stereo shop installed a new one, but in the location of the dash cubby in front of the shifter, which, for whatever reason, means that my HVAC controls are no longer lit up at night.
A lot of new cars have a tiny blue LED that illuminates the shifter/console area. My old Mazdaspeed 3 had it, our new Highlander has it. Is there something like this I can do for the Accord that I could use to illuminate the dash? That seems like it would be cheaper and easier than getting the aftermarket dash part that removes the old dead radio and replaces the controls.

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 AM
Shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
A lot of new cars have a tiny blue LED that illuminates the shifter/console area. My old Mazdaspeed 3 had it, our new Highlander has it.

Thanks.
There's the little orange-ish colored light

and the lights for the dash are on a PCB.

'94 Accord LX Coupe MT - RIP

'03 Accord EX-L Coupe AT (4-cylinder)

"If you are clinically insane, by which I mean you wake up in the morning, and you think you are an onion, this is your car." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Not sure what a PCB is, but whenever they unplugged the stereo, the rest of the lights attached to what you are showing stopped working, namely the lights that show where the HVAC air is being deflected and the settings on the fan and heat. Since it was never MY car, the steering wheel controls for Cruise also are not illuminated, but I don't know if that's related.

That little orange light is probably what I want, mine is an '04 LX, if I could find that dome light assembly with that orange light would it just install in place of mine, and work?

Thanks.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Not sure what a PCB is, but whenever they unplugged the stereo, the rest of the lights attached to what you are showing stopped working, namely the lights that show where the HVAC air is being deflected and the settings on the fan and heat. Since it was never MY car, the steering wheel controls for Cruise also are not illuminated, but I don't know if that's related.

That little orange light is probably what I want, mine is an '04 LX, if I could find that dome light assembly with that orange light would it just install in place of mine, and work?

Thanks.
I don't think that the 04 had lighted wheel controls could be wrong tho...

As for the lighted hvac controls.. the head unit should not be unplugged... the power should still work the lights should all still be functional just no sound coming out of it. The pcb (Printed Computer Board) is just the computer board behind the plastic that everything is attached to. I think he was saying you may need to replace the lights attached to the board I don't think this is necessary I believe it is just not plugged in.

Hope this helps a little.

2006 Night Hawk Black pearl 4 door I-4 auto

acquired july 3, 2012

Led upgrades throughout
window vent visors
DRL delete
V-6 battery upgrade
Double Din in cubby
Retro HM1 5500k 35w
Blacked out housings
HDR grill inserts top and bottom
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 PM
5th Gear. 04 Accord EX V6

Quote:
the stereo in the '04 accord lx died a few months ago. A stereo shop installed a new one, but in the location of the dash cubby in front of the shifter, which, for whatever reason, means that my hvac controls are no longer lit up at night.
A lot of new cars have a tiny blue led that illuminates the shifter/console area. My old mazdaspeed 3 had it, our new highlander has it. Is there something like this i can do for the accord that i could use to illuminate the dash? That seems like it would be cheaper and easier than getting the aftermarket dash part that removes the old dead radio and replaces the controls.

Thanks.
same thing for me.my parking lights and tail lights had also stopped working, no middle console lights were lit, not even the gear shifter. Come to find out, i blew the fuse. I changed the fust under the hood, it was a 15A, FOR FUSE #7 and everything came back on!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Shiny.

I believe the lighted wheel controls started in '05 but there's a thread for a mod for 03's and 04's.

As for the orange light, mine is starting to flicker on and off so I'll see what type of bulb it is and report back. Can't seem to find anything online.

'94 Accord LX Coupe MT - RIP

'03 Accord EX-L Coupe AT (4-cylinder)

"If you are clinically insane, by which I mean you wake up in the morning, and you think you are an onion, this is your car." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #7 of 7 Old 11-23-2014, 01:46 PM
6th Gear

had a similar prob on an past modded car and the fix your talking about would be a lot harder on the Accord but it can be done

definitely would want to use LED bulbs since it will get less hot in that plastic housing above

when i changed the Shifter light to LED, it was a T5 LED i believe and fairly bright looks like this:

dont get it w/1 LED like that though, its not all that bright but should work if it'll fit up there

2003 Accord 4dr EX V6 Graphite Pearl aka Dark Grey
250,000+ on 2nd Transmission

Mods: Driven heavily modded vehicles. "once a modder always a modder"

*G Modifiers Crew Member #2*
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.