Something is wrong with my Navi System - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Something is wrong with my Navi System

I have the Honda Navi system in my 04 Accord. I opted for the system when I bought the car 3 years ago and for 3 years it worked great. About a month ago I purchased the latest DVD (ver. 3.60) and it worked without problems for about a week. Then the fun stopped. The first error message would read, "Disk reading error. Consult your dealer" or something along those lines. I tried putting back the old DVD (ver 3.30E, I think) and still the same error message. So I took the car to a Honda dealer and they concluded that the entire system had to be replaced at the price of $4100. That is not an option for me. About a week after that, I wanted to retrieve my new Navi DVD and found out that the eject button is not working. I thought maybe the Honda technicians might still have DVD and I tried to insert the old version and it refused to enter as if it was being blocked by an already inserted DVD. I then took the car to a second Honda dealer to get a second opinion and they said the same thing (same replacement price) and were still unable to eject the DVD. But now I have a new error message that states, "Please check your disk." I think the Honda technician tried to reset the system and the next step in the process was to read the DVD. Since the DVD cannot be read, it is stuck on this screen and no other buttons (Audio, Info, Setup, A/C) function.

After all this, my questions are:
1. Has anybody else suffered this problem?
2. Would I be able to replace the DVD player in the trunk and save myself money by not having the entire in-dash system replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
I haven't heard of the issue, but you should call Honda America, they might be able to help you.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM
my other car is a truck

Send a message via MSN to 07ACC4DREXL-V6 Send a message via Yahoo to 07ACC4DREXL-V6
wow that is a real bummer
$4100 seems highway robbery - wasn't a $2K option?
when all else fails with automobile technology I always disconnect the battery (neg only is OK) for 10 minutes or so
this way all systems reboot from cold start

2004 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - 5 SP Auto
2007 Honda Accord 4DR EXL-V6 - 5 SP Auto

post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
For what it's worth, double check a few simple things. I would hope the dealerships already tried this.

Make sure the key is in the ignition and turned to the run position. You cannot eject the DVD without the key in the ignition.

Open the door to the DVD player. Is the eject button lit up? If it is not, the player is not getting power. Double check the connections on the back of the player to ensure nothing was bumped and accidentally dissconnected.

If the eject button is lit up, try tapping it a few times. Can u hear the disc spinning? If you listen closely, you should be able to hear it humming. If not, the player itself might be dead.

Next, there's a small circle in the face of the player on the right hand side. I've assumed that this is an emergency disc eject just like in stereos (this is just a guess on my part. Try it at your own risk.) Use a slender plastic item like a pen and tap in there a few times to see if this ejects the disc.

Are you sure the disc is in there? What happens if you try to feed the old disc in? Does it take? No response?

If you can get this disc out, be sure that you have an ORANGE disc, version 3.6 and it was inserted orange side up. Inspect it for smudges or scratches. If it looks OK you could try inserting it again. If not, I would contact the place you ordered it from and ask for a new disc to ensure its not the disc. I've read that putting an older version back in might not work (and could even do things like erase your address book) so I would wait and get a new DVD replacement and try it before you assume the old disc doesn't work.

At this point if you haven't been able to get the disc out, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Princess might have some extra trouble shooting tips she can get a hold of. If you've had the car for 3 years, it sounds like you're just out of warranty. Honda is typically pretty good about goodwill fixes or even splitting costs. You can try contacting Honda customer service directly.

As for the head unit, when you said the buttons do not work, do you mean that you cannot access them on the screen or that the "hard" buttons on the dashboard do not work? The buttons on the dash should work even if the NAVI is not on. Does the LCD display at the top of the dash work? Can you still use the climate control buttons right above the storage cubby? Do the steering wheel buttons still control audio functions? If some or none of these items don't work, it sounds like the headunit might have died. Try checking the dash fuses, too.

Again, try contacting Honda customer service directly and see if they'll assist at all.

Let us know what happens.

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The problems continue when the motor is on. I tried disconnecting the cables and reconnecting without any success. It is dark outside at this moment, but I'll try looking for a manual eject button in the morning. The old disc cannot be inserted. I did not eject the new disc when I took it to Honda and I hope it is still in the unit.

The LCD screen does not display the Audio, A/C, Info, or Setup menus. It did before I took it to the second Honda shop. But I believe that the Honda technician tried reset the system and without the disc being read, it is stuck on this step in the setup. The climate control buttons still work but I cannot adjust the fan speed and the voice recognition feature is not working either. Again, this all worked before I took it in to the second Honda shop, even after I was receiving the "Disk reading Error" message. This alone makes me think that the DVD player in the trunk is the only malfunctioned part of the system. Also, I was able to eject discs even after the error messages, however, that is not the case anymore.

I am going to follow up on a tip I received which is to contact Alpine and ask if they do repairs on these Honda Navi DVD units. Since Alpine manufacture the units I would think they could also do repairs (fingers crossed). Thanks, everyone, for all your input so far.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Try this:

1) I do not know but mot of the DVD Players have a little hole on the front where you can insert a paperclip to eject the tray even if the DVD player is off. If it is the auto load one (no tray) - then I have no idea.

2) Start a car, hold MAP MENU and CANCEL together for 5 seconds. This should bring up a menu. Go to the version and try clicking on Download button. This should try to update the firmware from the DVD - maybe that kicks it into a drive.

If not, play around the menu and see if there's something there that can help you. Holding down the menu button even while in that special mode - gives you another menu - so Good Luck

Who knows, maybe it helps

Petar Smilajkov - Peconi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- My car: Accord '06 EX-L V6 Black Coupe w/Navi + tinted windows ;)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
My First Post

I am also having the same issues with my navigation system. The local Honda dealer quoted $3850 plus installation fees to replace the system. Their request for Honda assistance was denied.

Did you have any success contacting Alpine directly?
post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

dont spend 4100 dollars

call honda customer service and they will more times then not take care of it dont stop at the dealer call you call honda will listen to you
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.