SPEC-D Smoke Dual Halo Projector Headlights with LEDs, Are they worth getting? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I want projector headlights and I really like the look of these ones and the meager amount of reviews I have seen online say they are good. I want to know your thoughts on them and if they are worth the $221 price tag. Please help and let me know. Thanks.

Here is the link to the page if it help.

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I <3 My Honda

I answer your question here: HID Questions? Ask here. - Post #12 referring to the cheap eBay projector headlamps. IMO, no, they are not worth $50, let alone $221, for how your night vision will suffer compared to your stock halogens. Do some more research before purchasing; this way you'll have a better understanding of everything that's out there Those reviews are written by 16 year old kids who do not know a thing about automotive lighting and think they're "cool" because they drop a blue 8,000K Plug-N-Play kit in them.

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Oh shoot, those are the exact ones they say Stink. Wow. So are the Angel Eye kits out of the question? I need to upgrade my lights regardless because they don't light the road very good. Is there something you would recommend? I just want something that looks good, but performs well. Is that possible?

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I <3 My Honda

A retrofit will be your best option in terms of functionality.

A headlamp lens restoration kit would be your best option in terms of budget.

I would suggest you take a minute, when you get time, to read over my HID thread - it's very informative and packed of information that I have studied and learned over many years, all wrapped up into one thread

Ben

(Sold 07/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks a lot. I'll look into that. I appreciate all the help. I have a feeling I'm going to be posting a lot about if doing something to my car is a good idea. :-P I have only had the thing about a month now and I want to make it last and I feel upgrading is the best option. Thanks for the help. Look forward to hearing more from you guys.

Sent from
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM
KH
6th Gear

My car came with a similar set of lights... Terrible. Should have a retrofit installed soon, can't wait!

~Kevin
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

Depo's legit

post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
4th Gear

I picked these up for $140 (forget where now, maybe amazon) and they do ****, bad.

I did have my retro M1H1 so I dropped them in the lens they had, the halo's are a freagin joke! it's One lousy led on the bottom center with a reflector. You can barely see them at night let alone the day. So, yeah they "look' cool but the quality is junk, the reflective bowl is garbage too, horrendous, but my retro looks good and I bought some led halo's and put them in there and changed the 5 top DRL led's to amber and hooked it to the blinker.

So, it was a project but that's what I enjoy doing so I didn't mind. But it is not for the average pay and install.

Do or Do Not - There is no Try
post #9 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So is Retro Fitting just putting Halo bulbs in your current housing? I'm not really 100% sure what retro fitting exactly means.

Sent from
post #10 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

so what are good headlights to purchase for people who don't want to retro?

Do you guys suggest changing the 9006 bulb (stock headlights) to the 9012 (philips h1r1) in?
post #11 of 16 Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 AM
I <3 My Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LX View Post
So is Retro Fitting just putting Halo bulbs in your current housing? I'm not really 100% sure what retro fitting exactly means.

ret·ro·fit
[v. re-troh-fit, re-troh-fit; n., adj. re-troh-fit] verb ret·ro·fit·ted or ret·ro·fit, ret·ro·fit·ting, noun, adjective
verb (used with object)
to modify equipment (in airplanes, automobiles, a factory, etc.) that is already in service using parts developed or made available after the time of original manufacture.
to install, fit, or adapt (a device or system) for use with something older

Basically, a "retrofit" in terms of automotive lighting is an art form in which us "retrofitters" come up with ways to modify our OEM halogen headlamps to fit / adapt OEM HID projectors. This is the only true and LEGAL way to run a HID system as the projectors do just that - project and aim the light in a specific manner (that adheres to DOT/SAE regulations). Halogen reflector housings and even halogen projectors (like on the 08+ Accord coupes) are NOT designed properly to run an HID bulb.

Ben

(Sold 07/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #12 of 16 Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So what is it that povy did to his headlights? He retro fitted them I'm assuming from the name of the thread, but did he make those headlights or did he buy them and modify them? Just a side note, you guys have been really helpful and I just want to thank you for bearing with me and not being annoyed with me. Thanks a ton.

Sent from
post #13 of 16 Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip96 View Post
I picked these up for $140 (forget where now, maybe amazon) and they do ****, bad.

I did have my retro M1H1 so I dropped them in the lens they had, the halo's are a freagin joke! it's One lousy led on the bottom center with a reflector. You can barely see them at night let alone the day. So, yeah they "look' cool but the quality is junk, the reflective bowl is garbage too, horrendous, but my retro looks good and I bought some led halo's and put them in there and changed the 5 top DRL led's to amber and hooked it to the blinker.

So, it was a project but that's what I enjoy doing so I didn't mind. But it is not for the average pay and install.
Did you have the k2motor headlights? I believe they are also the spyder ones. Also are those existing halo's removable?
post #14 of 16 Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I <3 My Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LX View Post
So what is it that povy did to his headlights? He retro fitted them I'm assuming from the name of the thread, but did he make those headlights or did he buy them and modify them? Just a side note, you guys have been really helpful and I just want to thank you for bearing with me and not being annoyed with me. Thanks a ton.
Keith (aka povy) opened up a pair of OEM (Honda) Halogen headlamps and retrofitted real OEM HID projectors inside of them.

To help you out, here's my entire build log over on HIDP of the TSX retro I built a few months ago

I show the step by step process I take in order to correctly/accurately retrofit a pair of the Acura TSX low-beam projectors. I'm currently working on another retrofit as we speak - only with a much larger BiXenon projector

Ben

(Sold 07/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Those just look bad honestly, as stated by many go with the retrofit. I'd rather HIDs look stock or as close to stock as possible.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.