Timing Belt Replacement 2005 Accord V6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Timing Belt Replacement 2005 Accord V6

Need some assistance on Timing Belt Replacement for my 2005 Accord V6 with 82,250 miles. Never raced or abused. I believed this maintenance was 105,000 to 120,000 but dealership says time is now because the care is more than 8 years old. They want $1,125.00, this takes care of all replacements involved in this type service.
My concerns are two -- the expense and whether it's OK to wait another 25,000 miles without worry of a problem.
The $1,125.00 price seems high -- is it?

Also, they said the complinace bushings need to be replaced -- with alignment that's $ 575.00

Sure would appreciate hearing from those of you who know this car; your thoughts - ideas -

Also, would it make sense to seek out repair warranty insurance as the extended warranty has been out of effect for 2 years.

Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
JasonR

Send a message via AIM to jreuschl Send a message via MSN to jreuschl Send a message via Yahoo to jreuschl
You'll get different prices in different areas. I'm paying right now about $950 with taxes/disposal fee including coolant, tensioner, and doing a valve adjustment. Was $814 with tax without tensioner.

There was an independent shop in my area (Milwaukee) quoting $665 (no tensioner). I was quoted the $814 by the dealer and told them if they included the valve adjustment I'd do it with them.

Some have been quoted in the $500 range in random places. There is a dealer in NJ that advertises in the $300 range for it.

Most of it is labor, so you can see if you can haggle them down.

I'd see what others say about the mileage though. Generally 105K is OK.

EDIT: Price does include water pump.

post #3 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
2006 I4 MT

Run from that stealership.

Random places found on bing search.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT

post #4 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM
JasonR

Send a message via AIM to jreuschl Send a message via MSN to jreuschl Send a message via Yahoo to jreuschl
I'm really not that far off considering I'm having them include the valve adjustment. Dealer that has really cheap price is in NJ. There's a dealer in NJ that has advertised in that range for a long time that many here are shocked how cheap it is compared to others. I even checked with dealers in IL and most were quoting in the $800 range without taxes/fees.

The $479 you posted does not include water pump. The two others, adding in valve adjustment, disposal fee and taxes, my price is probably about what theirs is. They also do not list the tensioner. I don't know how much that usually is quoted as part of the service, but I've seen comments that the part itself is $90 online. So $141 might be a little expensive installed but not that far off.

I'm not trying to defend the "stealer." I know there is still a ton of profit in the labor, and I gave an example that I could have saved a little with an independent shop.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
2006 I4 MT

Valve adjustment should be easy since they'll already be removing the valve cover right? Maybe 30 mins of labor? I'm not too knowledgeable on V6 models.

Valve adjust alone on a 4 cyl is only 1.1 hour book rate. Don't know about v6.

For the compliance bushings (front control arm?) 2.4 hour book rate for both sides.

I don't know what needs to be changed, but the parts are cheap, under $60 for the whole thing.

51810-SDA-A01 outer
51391-SDA-A03 front
51393-SDA-A02 rear

This is why everyone should get a code reader and "AllData DIY" subscription. So you can fix your own problems or know what honest rates are.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #6 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Valve adjustments for the V6 are a little more involved. It includes removal of the intake plenum assembly and removal of two valve covers. It's a pain to do yourself since some of the valves near the firewall are in a tight spot and you will need to go by feel. The I4 only need to have one valve cover removed.

When I did mine last car's valve adjustment, I cleaned the EGR ports and the entire intake plenum also. There was so much gunk in there since the passageways aren't entirely smooth. It took me about 2-3 hours from start to finish just to do the two jobs. It's back-breaking work and I'd pay someone to do it if I had to do it again.
post #7 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

That is the normal price at a dealer because they want to do maintenance that may not be required, like a valve adjustment. Find a good independent shop and you can buy the parts online, as long as the shop is willing to do the labor only. I got the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and plugs from rockauto.com for less than the shop price. My car did not need a valve adjustment because the engine already sounded as smooth as it could be. However, Honda will charge you for the service when it is not even needed. I had mine done on my '03 last year with just over 100K miles, but Honda wanted to do it two years ago when it was 8 years old.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Sure, you can wait a while, but I would be listening for any noises coming from under the timing covers if you do. Shop around for better prices, but make sure they are all changing the same parts for the same price. The cheaper the prices, the less they probably change. To change everything that could be changed, during a timing belt replacement, you could spend $500 just on parts (seals, pulleys, tensioner, coolant, water pump, drive belt, timing belt). If they only change the timing belt, they can charge much less. Get a parts list for each price quote, so you know what you're getting for your money.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #9 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Dan
6th Gear

I wonder if independent shops are eating into dealer business. That is a huge price drop for t-belt jobs

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous
post #10 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
5th Gear

My price after tax was $636
post #11 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDios View Post
Need some assistance on Timing Belt Replacement for my 2005 Accord V6 with 82,250 miles. Never raced or abused. I believed this maintenance was 105,000 to 120,000 but dealership says time is now because the care is more than 8 years old. They want $1,125.00, this takes care of all replacements involved in this type service.
My concerns are two -- the expense and whether it's OK to wait another 25,000 miles without worry of a problem.
The $1,125.00 price seems high -- is it?

Also, they said the complinace bushings need to be replaced -- with alignment that's $ 575.00

Sure would appreciate hearing from those of you who know this car; your thoughts - ideas -

Also, would it make sense to seek out repair warranty insurance as the extended warranty has been out of effect for 2 years.
Got 130k on a 2006 and still on original belt..live in extreme hot climate too..
post #12 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
cgb
4th Gear

DO NOT pay that much. Buy tube parts yourself. Belt, tensioner, and pulleys. Should be around 300 - 350. Take the parts yourself to whoever you go to and have them put it in that way. Should be no more than $325 to put in at the most. If the total by bringing your own parts is more than $700 MAX that's a ripoff. If they are trying to charge you that much them they are prob lying about the other stuff. My car had 114,000 miles ( same car as u ) and don't have any of those Problems. I just got my belt done at 108,000 and was about $600
post #13 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with buying the parts yourself and get a shop to install for you is the aspect of liability for both you and the shop, what if something breaks after the job was done? Is it one of the parts that failed prematurely? Or is the failure due to the worksmanship?

Even if it is clearly the failure of the part, who's going to pay for the repair labor? The place that sold you the part won't, the shop won't either, so you are now on your own.

By getting a shop to get the parts and do the job, they now have to warranty the entire job, parts and labor, for whatever the policy is, whether it's 30 days or 3 months.

I admit I bought the parts from on line outfit to save money, but I also had planned to do the work myself, except I couldn't loosen the stubborn crank pulley bolt even with my 500 ft-lb pnuematic impact wrench, so at the end had to take it to a friend's shop, he told me I am one of the very few people he would allow to bring in their own parts for him to install, profit margin is one factor, the liability is the much bigger factor!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Buying the parts yourself has other drawbacks. You don't really know what needs to be changed, until you open up the covers and see what you have. You could buy extra parts, then return the parts you don't use, but that could be a pain if you get the parts online. I would only buy my own parts, if I were doing the job myself. I'm sure you can find a shop that will charge a reasonable price for parts and labor. Shop around.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #15 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
6th Gear

My 03 had 128k miles on the original belt when I changed it last year. I sold the car shortly after that

I'm not planning on changing it on my current car until sometime after 100k miles

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.