Clunky Transmission - or Grade Logic? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Clunky Transmission - or Grade Logic?

Hi foliks.

Quick survey, I just purchased a new to me 2004 accord EX-L V6 Auto.

There is a quirky transmission issue I've noticed, and I've also noticed this on my girlfriends 2002 civic LX Automatic.

I saw this thread:
Transmission shift between 40-50 mph?

This somewhat describes my issue. There is definately often a "downshift" during deacceleration which I have never noticed on any other automatic.

I also notice a slight surge during upshifts in my Accord (not on the 2002 civic). Most noticeably from first to second the car seems to lunge forward a bit during the shift.

My brother has a 2004 Mazda 6s. Today I went from driving my accord directly to his Mazda 6, and noticed his automatic transmission was much smoother and less noticeable. (No downshifts, no lurching upshifts). As a side note, his car was termendously louder in the cabin, didn't have as much power, and didn't feel nearly as heavy on the road as my accord, so I have no regrets

I bought the car used, I have no idea if the car was repaired or inspected under the tranny recall. If people here believe this is an issue inherent in good running cars w/ Honda, then I will accept it, it's nothing more than a mere concern in my mind of a tranny problem.

The grade logic control explains the sometimes jerky downshifts, the upshifts though are a different story. I have always driven 5-speed manuals, my first automatic, so I don't have a ton of experience. But I've driven a ton of older automatics of various brands throughout the years and never noticed this.

Does everyone experience this?

Thanks,
Justin

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
it seems like what you are describing is normal for a honda AT.....

i'll let the other members on here elaborate further...

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

It sounds normal.. The Accord's AT tranny likes to use engine braking a LOT... You can feel the 4-3, and 3-2 downshifts pretty easily.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Haven't really felt the 4-3 downshifts, but definitely the 3-2 and I think 2-1 downshifts if memory serves me correctly.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Out of Control

downshifting during acceleration is a good thing. it's called responding to the driver's inputs. unlike some "retarded" automatics that will still putter along in overdrive after you slam your foot to the floor.

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
downshifting during acceleration is a good thing. it's called responding to the driver's inputs. unlike some "retarded" automatics that will still putter along in overdrive after you slam your foot to the floor.
This is downshifting during deceleration... You'll definately notice it if you hit a dip in the road while you're braking on a downhill slope!

namegoeshere, 4-3 is very light, but you could still feel it. The car won't do a 2-1 downshift unless you're going 5mph so the downshift you felt should be a 3-2 downshift.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
4th Gear

All I know is that when I slam on the gas (in a '06 V6 auto), the car kinda rolls along in a pause for a moment, then it blasts forward. It's kinda like those space ships in those sci-fi flicks; their engines in back glow blue, then Zooooosssssshhhhhh!
Hopefully when I get that new V2 intake, that pause will be less obvious and shorter

As for the downshifting during decelleration, I feel the grabby brakes more than anything.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Half-Breed, what you're experiencing is either a two gear downshift or a slow-ish downshift. It's unavoidable in ATs although it has gotten better over the years since the trannys shifts faster than ever before.

The extra grabby brakes during decelleration was probably because of the EBD/ Brake Assist... You hit a bump in the road during decelleration and press the brake pedal a little further down and the computer thinks you're in a panic stop situation and brakes harder.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
This is downshifting during deceleration... You'll definately notice it if you hit a dip in the road while you're braking on a downhill slope!

namegoeshere, 4-3 is very light, but you could still feel it. The car won't do a 2-1 downshift unless you're going 5mph so the downshift you felt should be a 3-2 downshift.
whoops. my brain was overloaded with chem last night so it wasnt functioning correctly.

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.