How to Tell - is it a PZEV or Not? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How to Tell - is it a PZEV or Not?

Is there a way to tell if a 2005 I4 Accord is a PZEV or not? My question started from a MPG thread but I have no answers on the PZEV question. I bought the car used two years ago. I would like to know so I don't waste any time or money trying to make it get better MPG if it's a PZEV. It gets a consistent 22.5 with about 80% suburb/city and and about 20% highway. Others on here get significantly better MPG.

My car was originally sold in Dallas Texas when new so I am assuming it's not a PZEV, but I don't know. Were Some PZEVs sold in Texas? The MPG makes me think it might be. VIN checks on my car don't say anything about PZEV but I also checked a known PZEV VIN from another 2005 Accord for sale and its VIN check didn't say PZEV either. When I got the car it had a small sticker on one of the side windows that said something about emissions. I scraped the sticker off without thinking much about it and I don't remember if it said PZEV, ULEV, "low emissions vehicle" or what.

I just learned that the EX PZEV 2005 I4 Accord Sedan is listed as a separate model and gets slightly worse city MPG than a regular EX 2005 I4 Accord Sedan. This might be what I have because of the sticker that was on it.

For 2005 the EX PZEV I4 is listed separate from the EX I4 - also note the estimated MPG and the different fuel tank estimated miles range:



The regular EX I4:

FUEL ECONOMY (CTY/HWY) 23/31 mpg

RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 393.3/530.1 mi.

The PZEV EX I4:

FUEL ECONOMY (CTY/HWY) 21/31 mpg

RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 359.1/530.1 mi

The curb weight for the PZEV EX is 61 pounds heavier then the regular EX which I assume is from added pollution equipment.

So how do I tell if I have a PZEV or a regular Accord? Are there certain parts I could search for online with my VIN that would indicate PZEV or not? Any ideas?

05and91 is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Used to Drive a Hummer H2

Join Date: Aug 2005
location: New York
Posts: 808
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should have a sticker in the window of the back door - drivers side.

greg-ster is offline
post #3 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
.

namegoeshere's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,990
Thanks: 1
Thanked 502 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-ster View Post
You should have a sticker in the window of the back door - drivers side.
Ummm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05and91 View Post
When I got the car it had a small sticker on one of the side windows that said something about emissions. I scraped the sticker off without thinking much about it and I don't remember if it said PZEV, ULEV, "low emissions vehicle" or what.
namegoeshere is offline

post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
*KindaFondaHonda*

accordexlv6's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005
location: Warm & Sunny Florida
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Our Accord V6 has a big, white label on the underside of the hood.

Bunch of technical info, including the fact that ours is rated LEV-BIN 5.

Your info should be there too.

DA Member Since 2005
Current Original Owner(s) of:

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**
___ and... ___

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!
accordexlv6 is offline
post #5 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Out of Control

Drew03Accord's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,030
Thanks: 148
Thanked 564 Times in 464 Posts
Call any Honda dealer with your Vin number and ask.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Drew03Accord is online now
post #6 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
5th Gear

Join Date: Apr 2011
location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 960
Thanks: 5
Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
is there a way to tell if your honda is (California) model?

"PZEVs come by way of California's Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) mandate, a vital portion of the state's low emission vehicle program dating back to 1990. Throughout history, CA has set a tight green benchmark for stringent emissions laws that have in turn led to tighter federal regulations. Vehicles are required to meet tight emission test requirements for volatile organic compounds (VOC), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO). While it was thought that battery electric vehicles would be numerous on roads by now, problems from cost to range--and even marketing issues--led to a modification of the ZEV mandate that gave birth to the PZEV, the partial zero emissions vehicle which allows automakers to meet their quotas through partial zero credits."
Arkainzeye is offline
post #7 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkainzeye View Post
is there a way to tell if your honda is (California) model?

"PZEVs come by way of California's Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) mandate, a vital portion of the state's low emission vehicle program dating back to 1990. Throughout history, CA has set a tight green benchmark for stringent emissions laws that have in turn led to tighter federal regulations. Vehicles are required to meet tight emission test requirements for volatile organic compounds (VOC), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO). While it was thought that battery electric vehicles would be numerous on roads by now, problems from cost to range--and even marketing issues--led to a modification of the ZEV mandate that gave birth to the PZEV, the partial zero emissions vehicle which allows automakers to meet their quotas through partial zero credits."
Thanks for the info and trying to help but that doesn't tell me how to tell if MY car is a PZEV. Also it's not only California models, they just call it that because the standards were set in CA. There are six or seven other states that require PZEVs which all have to meet the "California" standards.
05and91 is offline
post #8 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordexlv6 View Post
Our Accord V6 has a big, white label on the underside of the hood.

Bunch of technical info, including the fact that ours is rated LEV-BIN 5.

Your info should be there too.
Thank you! This is very helpful and I will probably figure it out from this, otherwise I will call a dealer and ask. I checked my sticker under the hood and it says:

"This vehicle conforms to US EPA Tier II Bin 5 and CFV LEV regulations applicable to 2005 new passenger cars and California regulations applicable to 2005 model year new LEV II LEV passenger cars"

It looks like California standards but I don't know for sure. I will search online in an attempt to decipher this. I did search online for answers before posting, and didn't find anything on how to tell. I did read that it is ILLEGAL to sell California emissions new cars in states that don't have California requirements, so I don't understand how this car was originally sold in the Dallas area.

Thanks
05and91 is offline
post #9 of 16 Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM
06' 6-6 Sedan

2005 6mt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
location: NY
Posts: 657
Thanks: 34
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
My '05 PZEV says PZEV on the valve cover I believe. I'll check for sure tomorrow.

2012 EX-L V6 6MT Coupe Crystal Black Pearl / Black
2006 EX V6 6MT Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl / Ivory (sold)
2005 EX I-4 5AT Sedan Redondo Red Pearl / Black
1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
2005 6mt is offline
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 6mt View Post
My '05 PZEV says PZEV on the valve cover I believe. I'll check for sure tomorrow.
Thanks.

I'm happy I got a good used Accord with no issues and I am overall very happy with the car. I am just not happy with 22.5 MPG. I was expecting 25 or 26 MPG when I got the 05 Accord.
05and91 is offline
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 AM
5th Gear

Join Date: Apr 2011
location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 960
Thanks: 5
Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05and91 View Post
Thank you! This is very helpful and I will probably figure it out from this, otherwise I will call a dealer and ask. I checked my sticker under the hood and it says:

"This vehicle conforms to US EPA Tier II Bin 5 and CFV LEV regulations applicable to 2005 new passenger cars and California regulations applicable to 2005 model year new LEV II LEV passenger cars"

It looks like California standards but I don't know for sure. I will search online in an attempt to decipher this. I did search online for answers before posting, and didn't find anything on how to tell. I did read that it is ILLEGAL to sell California emissions new cars in states that don't have California requirements, so I don't understand how this car was originally sold in the Dallas area.

Thanks

"IF" It did say conforms to California regs and the Pzev is a california reg stanard.. wouldnt that be enough right there?
Arkainzeye is offline
post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 AM
BRWNFLSH now

BLCKFLSH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
location: Thibodaux Louisiana
Posts: 6,738
Thanks: 252
Thanked 617 Times in 538 Posts
If you go to Honda owner's link, and enter your VIN, it would probably tell you what you want to know.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
BLCKFLSH is online now
post #13 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
06' 6-6 Sedan

2005 6mt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
location: NY
Posts: 657
Thanks: 34
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
It's not on the valve cover, my mistake. It is on the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood near the latch like others pointed out. Passenger side. I'll post a pic later on when I'm at my PC. It mentions PZEV specifically.

2012 EX-L V6 6MT Coupe Crystal Black Pearl / Black
2006 EX V6 6MT Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl / Ivory (sold)
2005 EX I-4 5AT Sedan Redondo Red Pearl / Black
1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
2005 6mt is offline
post #14 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 6mt View Post
It's not on the valve cover, my mistake. It is on the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood near the latch like others pointed out. Passenger side. I'll post a pic later on when I'm at my PC. It mentions PZEV specifically.
Thanks!!! Mine does not mention PZEV anywhere so now I am thinking it's a regular one.

I read that the PZEV Accords have a 15 year or 150,000 mile Honda warranty on all the emissions equipment on the car, even if not the original buyer I think, which is an advantage for the PZEV. But the PZEV cat and other emissions equipment is more expensive to replace than the regular, don't know how much more. Also I learned that the PZEV has a metal (stainless steel I think) gas tank while the non-PZEV has a plastic gas tank.

PZEV or not is not that big a deal to me but I would like to know exactly what I have and my MPG seemed PZEV, but I think it's a non-PZEV now. Either way I have no regrets buying it. It's proven itself to be a very good car with no issues for the first two years I've owned it. I got a good one.
05and91 is offline
post #15 of 16 Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

05and91's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
If you go to Honda owner's link, and enter your VIN, it would probably tell you what you want to know.
Thanks! I'll check that out when I'm home tomorrow, I don't have my VIN with me now.

05and91 is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


gear shift is stuck in parkhonda link navigationhonda easterhow to unjam a cd drive2002 honda accord fuel economybmw 335i vs audi s5raybestos control arm2007 acura mdx oil light resethondapartsnow comvsa abs lights honda accordk24 intake350z bolt onspa15 hon2autopage c3-rs915puente hills diamond hondareplacement keys for honda accordmacco pricingrdx turbo swapmsd hondahonda accord cambelt changevtec dyno2005 nissan altima rotorshonda tire caps92 honda accordhonda accord vs acura tlwheel bearing and hub assembly replacement cost2004 honda civic upstream o2 sensoraudi a4 recommended tire pressurecarbon fiber wrap roofeudm autosports reviewscrosstour forumshow to install xentec hid conversion kithonda crv emissions lighthonda accord compressormegan racing lowering springs reviewwindshield wiper spray nozzle replacementho2s bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit1998 honda accord v6 transmission problems2000 honda accord 4 cylinder mpghfp hondahonda ballade 1983california fastrak violation finehonda huggins serviceaccord k201999 honda accord transmission problemsacura mdx timing belt kitwhite caliper coversdepo black housing headlightsbroken rota wheelshonda prelude tail lights1991 honda accord battery2003 honda accord air compressor19x9 5 5x114 3oem wheel offset chartgrillcraft grillshonda accord engine codeshonda ap12003 honda accord blower motorhonda accord fog lighttein tech springs2003 chevy cavalier seat covershonda accord 2002 2.3 vtecparking brake frozen2006 honda civic abs light resetis250 forums1999 honda accord starter replacement2005 acura tl oil capacitybosch premium power 35 640btoshiba hir bulbsgreddy sp elite exhaustsrs honda accord 2002how to properly drive a manual transmission