Driving Over your Oil Change Ramps - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D

Driving Over your Oil Change Ramps

I have Blitz Rhino ramps for doing oil changes. I'm very careful when climbing the ramps, because once they level out, if you're on the gas, you can pretty easily drive off the other edge of them.

I've done it twice now, and it really pisses me off. Fortunately, I haven't done any permanent damage yet.

Please spare me the "you're an idiot, be more careful" suggestion - I am as careful as I possibly can be, and trust me I tell myself this already.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have ramps that work for the accord where it would be harder to do this? (I have taller ones, but they don't fit under my bumper)

Only ever owned Accords.

'06 Accord EX-L 4dr 4cyl 201k (going strong)
'97 Accord SE 4dr 4cyl 165k (sold)
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 AM
7th Gear

Lay a couple of pieces of 2x4 before the ramps if they are taller. This allows the wheels to climb a bit before touching the ramps.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Never, ever had this issue. I say "leadfoot" is your problem. So I suggest a second set of eyes to help guide you up next time.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Out of Control

I have the same ramps. To climb, I manually shift car into 1st gear (auto tranny) and apply steady slow gas up the ramp. If you have the hit the brakes to stop, you're gunning it to hard and the ramps may slide.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #5 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
I have the same ramps. To climb, I manually shift car into 1st gear (auto tranny) and apply steady slow gas up the ramp. If you have the hit the brakes to stop, you're gunning it to hard and the ramps may slide.
Thanks - I'll try this to see how it works next time.

I move very slowly up the ramps, but I find that on my gas pedal the line between not moving up at all and driving over the edge is VERY fine. I go from sitting still to throwing the ramps with the slightest twitch of my foot. It's nerve-racking.

Maybe if it's locked into first, it'll give me a little more wiggle room.

Only ever owned Accords.

post #6 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
4th Gear

Driving Over your Oil Change Ramps

I've seen this done once (it was hilarious) maybe pull up on the parking brake a bit before starting up the ramp? Would have to find the point where it's so much you end up spinning front tires but with it in lightly the car will just stop as soon as you let off on the gas
post #7 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear

I have a set of Rhino ramps like , and they have a big lip at the end to keep you from driving off. Is that what you have? I can't imagine hitting that hard enough to go over it but maybe it's different with an automatic. If you're driving an automatic, you could try one foot on the brake and one on the gas. Might make the transition a little faster
post #8 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
lookin' clean

Send a message via AIM to digitalh3lix
ive driven over them once before as well, drive slow and dont hit the gas hard. if you roll back let it roll and retry.

now im dropped too low and I cant even use the ramps anymore. Forced to jack up the car and use stands for oil changes. PITA!

2013 VW Passat
2007 ASM Accord SE Sedan 5SPD
Mods:Skunk 2 knob, Neuspeed SSK, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni yellows, Modulo front lip, Hybrid Tails, HFP Silverstars, General Exclaim 225/50/17, Hawk brakes pads, 17mm RSB, strut tower,Mini H1 Retro, 6K HID, Acura Legend brake calipers, Depo headlights,Raxles, Syncromesh,Boston Acoustics
1993 Prelude VTEC 5SPD BLACK - SOLD.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascivic View Post
I've seen this done once (it was hilarious) maybe pull up on the parking brake a bit before starting up the ramp? Would have to find the point where it's so much you end up spinning front tires but with it in lightly the car will just stop as soon as you let off on the gas
Thanks - this makes a lot of sense. The rear wheels will pull back on the car while the fronts climb the ramp. Should keep me from moving too fast. I'm definitely going to try this as well as leaving the car in first gear.

Quote:
I have a set of Rhino ramps like these, and they have a big lip at the end to keep you from driving off. Is that what you have? I can't imagine hitting that hard enough to go over it but maybe it's different with an automatic. If you're driving an automatic, you could try one foot on the brake and one on the gas. Might make the transition a little faster
These definitely have a higher lip than my ramps - mine are older, so maybe Blitz got feedback from dummies like me and improved the design.

I've been doing one foot on the gas, one foot on the brake recently - this does seem to help with my reaction time.

Only ever owned Accords.

post #10 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
2006 I4 MT

I have the Rhino ramps, every time I go to use them, I'm always scared I'm going to fly off the top. I always go slow and have a spotter.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #11 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillG View Post
could try one foot on the brake and one on the gas. Might make the transition a little faster
That's how I do it. It's easy to me since that's how I drive an automatic
post #12 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Ramps are useless, I have a pair abandoned in the back of my parents' house, due to the same issue. I did a burnout one time on them. If over time your ball joints and spring/shock wear out, forget even clearing the ramps. My old 98 Accord, before the drop, after 2 years of owning the car, couldn't clear the front bumper. Get yourself a jack and a pair stands. You can move the jacks anywhere, not just under the tires.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
2006 I4 MT

Jacks are way better but I'm on a slight incline carport so its safer to use ramps for me. I already had the jack slip when I was letting it down for tire rotations. I wish I had a garage.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #14 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Yal
07 Sdn

Wow, have been using the ramps for 6 years now. Never had an issue on 3 very different cars Subaru Legacy Wagon, Mercedes 300E and now my Accord. You don't have to hit the lip!! I repeat you don't have to wait to touch the lip to stop! When you feel the car leveling out just stop right there. Most of the time I'm about 2-3 inches from the lip, I throw on my wheel chocks and get to work.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Dan
6th Gear

I have had the exact opposite problem..My ramps would always slide. Ramps always scared the crap outta me anyway. Now I just use a jack and jackstands. Allows for more room to remove the filter.

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.