Front lower ball joints issue !? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Front lower ball joints issue !?

Hi !

I have a 2005 Accord Lx L4 170 373 km

Let me explain my problem...4 months ago I went to the garage for free check up and they told me that I need to change front lower ball joints asap and the stabilizer bar links (front and rear). So I purchased Sankei 555 ball joints (only) and changed them at another garage (because the first one wanted 300$). But I wasnt completely satisfied after the repair because I was still having knocking problems.

Today I went to the dealer for a free multi-point vehicule inspection and GUESS what they told me...yes I have to change the front lower ball joints. They said the ones on my car now (Sankei 555) are cheap. Is it true (paid 45$ each).

My questions are :

1- Is it possible the mechanic didnt install them correctly ? Because I was doubting the way he did it.

2- What about Sankei 555 brand. Is it cheap? What would you recommend?

3- For my stabilizer bar links (front and rear) what brands would you recommend?

Thank you !

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz View Post
My questions are :

1- Is it possible the mechanic didnt install them correctly ? Because I was doubting the way he did it.

2- What about Sankei 555 brand. Is it cheap? What would you recommend?

3- For my stabilizer bar links (front and rear) what brands would you recommend?

Thank you !
1. Probably not. They only go it one way.

2. I can't speak about them being "cheap". OEM is usually the "best" option. Illustration #21

3. OEM or moog.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #3 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear

Oem.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Ok I will take that into consideration !

Thank you !
post #5 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

OK I want to buy the front lower ball joints from hondaautomotiveparts.com
and I came up with this list and I just need you guys to check it to make sure I didnt forget anything.

51220-SDA-A02 021 002 JOINT, FR. BALL (LOWER) x2

94201-30220 020 002 PIN, SPLIT (3.0X22) x2

90363-SDA-A03 014 002 NUT, CASTLE (12MM) x2

Thank you !
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Hi
I just check the price and something i dont understand on the price for my Accord 1996 EX sedan lower ball joint.
Why the OEM lower ball joint are cheaper that the others ones like the sankei 555 and Moog :

OEM at 16$

Sankei at 35$

Moog ar 28$

How to explain that price difference for OEM and others ?
Should I stick for the OEM at 16$ or the MOOG at 28$ ?

thanks for help
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

The difference in price is that the Moogs have already a built in dollar value for their lifetime warranty. Get the OEM ones and inspect them at regular intervals, a couple of times a year.

Sankei? Stay away. Made in China total crap. Your life depends on ball joints, don't even think about those.

By the way, the link you show above for the OEM ones is for a 1996 Accord. That is not the right price for it, its a lot higher than that. Search again.

Just to make sure the mechanic doesn't make any mistakes and say accidentally installs some other ball joints than the ones you gave him (*cough*cough*), mark the ones you give him with some bright yellow permanent marker. Been there, done that...
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
4th Gear

I would go OEM if they are cheaper or about the same price. As for installation you can easily do it in about 20 minutes per side with some basic tools. If the OEM have lasted you this long no reason to not replace them with the same thing.

Also sometimes knocking sound while turning isnt always ball joint and could actually be your cv joints/shafts.

2017 Honda Accord Sedan Sport SE
2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 5spd
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
EX V6 6spd

I had this problem too, was hearing metal to metal scraping sound and also knocking when going over small bumps. That lasted 3 days and it broke, wheel came out side ways and also broke my axle and the tire damaged my fender. I waited too long to change it :/
Replaced it with Moog one at my trusted mechanic and its been fine but still makes the noise once in a while when turning the steering wheel. I may need to get the OEM one next.
So i say go OEM.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWare View Post

By the way, the link you show above for the OEM ones is for a 1996 Accord. That is not the right price for it, its a lot higher than that. Search again.

Just to make sure the mechanic doesn't make any mistakes and say accidentally installs some other ball joints than the ones you gave him (*cough*cough*), mark the ones you give him with some bright yellow permanent marker. Been there, done that...

SoI'll stick to OEM ball joint, I thought MOOG is the best ball joint !

Yes the links I provided above are for the Accoord 1996 EX !! Sorry OP, I hijacked your thread ! , I saw the title about ball joint so I jump on it !

As for the OEM ball joint price, I checked about 5 websites that are selling Honda OEM part, and they are all selling it 16$ -20$ instead of 50$ at the my Honda dealership. I hope those websites are selling real honda part.
What are the reasons for a such low the price compared to the dealership !???

20$

16$

16$

16$
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Ball Joint Removal Tool

Hello.
I have been searching everywhere for the appropriate tool to remove the lower ball joint from the lower control arm, but cannot find one. If somebody knows of a tool that would work, please let me know. (I found several c-clamp tool kits with an adapter for the older accords, but cannot find an adapter suitable for the 7th gen.) Thanks.

And I don't want to just hammer it out with a large socket, although that would work too.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehidamari View Post
Hello.
I have been searching everywhere for the appropriate tool to remove the lower ball joint from the lower control arm, but cannot find one. If somebody knows of a tool that would work, please let me know. (I found several c-clamp tool kits with an adapter for the older accords, but cannot find an adapter suitable for the 7th gen.) Thanks.

And I don't want to just hammer it out with a large socket, although that would work too.
I changed my lower control arms and to separate the lower ball joint I inserted the end of the 1/2" socket and gave it a thump with my foot and everything popped cleanly apart. I don't recommend hammer ever.

Honda has a special tool they recommend in the manual to do this but I think it runs $100+.

If you are trying to remove the ball joint from the knuckle you can do this which requires renting the ball joint tool from auto parts store:

2017 Honda Accord Sedan Sport SE
2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 5spd
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Lower Ball Joint Removal

Hello and thanks for the response.

I found the appropriate tool.
It is OTC 6734, but it does cost around $100.

The lower ball joint is fitted on the bottom of the knuckle.
By using the OTC adapter and the C-frame tool, the ball joint can be slowly pushed out, which is more professional than hammering out.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.