stripped sparkplug threads -07 Accord V6 EX (Navi) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

stripped sparkplug threads -07 Accord V6 EX (Navi)

Total newbie here - thank God for this site! I have an 07 Accord V6 EX (Navi) that I bought as a certified used car from Honda dealer with 16K miles. It now has 64,XXX miles and I had a CEL come on 2 weeks ago. I have Honda care warranty to 100K miles so brought it to dealer and they said I needed a new cyl. 5 engine coil and sp.plug, and a new ignition coil. (coils were covered, plug was $28) CEL came on again this past Sat - brought it back and 3 hours later they say the threads were stripped and "spark plug slipped right through." They have taken it to "machine shop" to get checked. 3 days later - no updates. I advised I wanted zero done until I authorize. I have read up on this site and others, and am concerned they may try to repair on the cheap (due to warranty) and do heli-coil and may not even remove head first...I was told by a friend that they likely screwed up in the 1st repair using too much torque, or taking the plug out while still hot(?). My concern is that I need this car to last or at least trade for top dollar. Can I insist on a new Cylinder head, and is a cylinder head the same thing as a cyl. head cover? I have reviewed Time-sert possibility for repair and if warranty allows them to repair vs. replace I want to insist on that vs. helicoil and make sure they remove the head first...but how can I make sure they do it this way, and what are my options? Did they mess my baby up? Love this car - so bummed out. Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated.

Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
5th Gear

i dont think you can really insist on anything if you arent properly informed what exactly they are doing and what exactly a heli-coil is and will do for you.. I had a motorcycle 20 years ago with a stripped out sparkplug and i had the heli-coil done and it lasted the rest of the life of the motorcycle. and this motorcycle has high compression pistons.

some time this summer i remember removing all 6 sparkplug coils and checked all the plugs at that time all 6 were tight. im wondering if there could be some type of pre-active care others could do to prevent this? i talked to my honda dealer about this and he said every once in a while they will get a v6 with this problem and its always #5 sparkplug..

post #3 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem and I have a 07 v6 SE. You have the same as me and mine was covered with my 3rd party warranty. Let me find the thread for you. Look on the 2nd page of my thread where I showed what was replaced and the only thing was they transferred everything on to the short block because it was not bad.

My spark plug popped out and cause massive damage.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-25-2016 at 07:40 PM.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM

Check my original thread on spark plug working itself free in cylinder 5. This is a VERY common problem on 7th gen V6 Accord,

Spark plug worked itself free!

The thread didn't strip, it is bad manufacturing tolerance on the spark plug thread on the head.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 AM
5th Gear

I was wondering is there an EXACT reason why this happens? was it loose from the start? defective head? over tightened? I was wondering what to look for outside of just making sure they are tight..

i was also wondering. if they are all tight, do you run a risk of damaging #5 by Removing the spark plug to replace or inspect it?
post #6 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM
3rd Gear

There is nothing wrong with time-serts in fact they put then in race engines and after market heads all the time.The motor should have been cold when they replaced the plugs but you never know.Also the aluminum threads stretch every time you touch them.I would actually prefer inserts like time-sert from the factory.It's also very common to do it with the head on the motor the grease gets most of the shavings and you can get 99% with a shop vac rigged with a small hose.I would also rather they do it this way as opposed to messing with it by pulling the head.If this is a common issue with the motor I doubt a new head is in order or that they will swallow the cost of the R&R of the head.If they do it right a couple shavings wont be an issue just change the oil in 300 miles.I know a guy(The Spark Plug Doctor)Who make a killing doing the 97-2003 F150's as those heads have only four threads and some cylinders see large heat cycles that loosen the plugs which in turn cause the plugs pound out the threads.A plug change on a f150 costs $500 as they have to be re-torqued again after 1500 miles.Sounds like an issue with #5 on with the Honda V6"s as well.If you hear a tick on an engine with an aluminum head check the plugs ASAP.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Update on my stripped thread/spark plug repair

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. Latest update is that the machine shop that the dealer uses has the head already off the motor and car is at dealer still. Machine shop is installing a Time-sert insert (I requested that vs. helicoil) once they have verified that no scoring damage occurred to cylinder itself. He stated helicoil is great if you know how to install and he never had an issue but many folks install it oncorrectly and in those cases it does not do well. He said he'd do time-sert if I wanted it instead. All should be covered under warranty so far. Honda Care Warranty is in the glove box to my car at the dealer so I was unable to check if they were supposed to replace vs. repair. I would be surprised if it covered a replacement though on a 100k extended. Again - thanks for the help! I am sad to say this will likely cause me to get rid of the car despite assurance from the dealer that it should be fine now...just worried that these types of issues will keep happening. Only two months ago I had to get the rear brakes and rotors replaced after only about 12K miles since the last time I did the exact same thing-issue was a frozen rear caliper and its pins digging into the pads causing uneven wear. (have seen this complaint on here as well)..and there is also a paint integrity issue on the hood (bubbling, some rust starting) that was apparently also a known issue for this year and model and that Honda won't fix. I wish I'd kept my 2000 civic!
post #8 of 19 Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
"NOT" a Novice!

Yep! My #5 popped at 54,700 miles on Oct. 3, 2012. (2007 Accord EX-L Sedan V6)

Bought mine 1-owner (older gentleman) at 43,000 on Sept. 30,2011 and drove it till 10-3-12 and it spit out the #5 plug. Only done one oil & filter change. Not to mention all of the service had been done at a Honda dealer previously. Mine was not a certified Pre-owned. 6 months out of the 5 year warranty, but under the 60,000 miles and I've already been denied a "Goodwill" repair by the District Part & Service Manager. I'm still following the chain of command on the repair, but I doubt Honda is going to help. I spent 1 1/2 years searching for this car to replace my '94 Civic EX V-Tec 5-Speed. I guess I should have kept it now. This is not the Honda that I've known in the past. And I've owned 4 that I drove well past 200,000. Call me a very dissappionted "Customer".

If anyone here has any SOLID advice on getting my situation repaired with a "Goodwill" (due to low mileage), then I sure would appreciate the help.

Last edited by Inspector; 12-03-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Asking for SOLID advice on dealing with Honda on a "Goodwill" warranty repair
post #9 of 19 Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Also #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkainzeye View Post
i dont think you can really insist on anything if you arent properly informed what exactly they are doing and what exactly a heli-coil is and will do for you.. I had a motorcycle 20 years ago with a stripped out sparkplug and i had the heli-coil done and it lasted the rest of the life of the motorcycle. and this motorcycle has high compression pistons.

some time this summer i remember removing all 6 sparkplug coils and checked all the plugs at that time all 6 were tight. im wondering if there could be some type of pre-active care others could do to prevent this? i talked to my honda dealer about this and he said every once in a while they will get a v6 with this problem and its always #5 sparkplug..
2005 Honda Accord LX 3.0L 6cyl coil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 05 Accord Has burned up two coils and spark plugs and the threads of the spark plug openining needs retreading. What I believe is happeng is oil is getting in to the spark plug chamber and burning them up. I did a temporary fix, which lasted one month,by getting some of the high temperature steel epoxy and wrapping the park plug with it and then stuck it n the hole and then puttig some more around it when it hardended to seal it .It worked great for a month, but now I am going to take it completly apart which would be easier if the manifold wasn't in the way.It has 135000 miles on it.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

Decided to take it in to the HondA Dealer. I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6, bought it brand new . Got the GPS, leather seats and all. Expected to get well over 140000 miles till breakdown. I took real good care of this car and the engine light came on. Took it to Honda and they want to charge $5000.00 to replace the block due to the coil spark plug and cylinder is all burnt up due to the seal that is between the spark plug and valve cover into the cylinder blew out and burnt everything up. They said they couldn't even try to remachine this head. What a nightmare! Called Honda, they offered no help and quoted that this only happens to 1 in every 600 of this Model . So that is not enough for a recall? Uhhhggggg!
post #11 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2005 View Post
.I know a guy(The Spark Plug Doctor)Who make a killing doing the 97-2003 F150's as those heads have only four threads and some cylinders see large heat cycles that loosen the plugs which in turn cause the plugs pound out the threads. Sounds like an issue with #5 on with the Honda V6"s as well.If you hear a tick on an engine with an aluminum head check the plugs ASAP.
This is the likely culprit: High Heat. The V6 is a high heat application(engine) and so this combined with a possible high heat climate may cause this along with improper factory installation or possibly inadequate anomalies at the factory. I have the same V6 AT from 2006 and I live in an extreme high heat climate in south west texas and I am gravely afraid this could happen to me. I am at 130k and original spark plugs. What would you guys recommend as far as replacement spark plugs and more importantly strategies and methods besides getting them done at the best honda dealership. I can't lose my baby cause it is so cozy and I can't imagine being in anything else for atleast another 100k.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocrafted_7.5 View Post
I am at 130k and original spark plugs. What would you guys recommend as far as replacement spark plugs and more importantly strategies and methods besides getting them done at the best honda dealership. I can't lose my baby cause it is so cozy and I can't imagine being in anything else for atleast another 100k.
I'm at 134,000 with the original factory Iridiums.

I think replacement Iridiums (NGK/DENSO) are the best bet.

I plan to use the same independent that replaced the TB/WP.

Agree that the Gen7 6M V-6 coupe is a great car (except for the clutch with the silly slave cylinder restrictor valve)

ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #13 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

They just showed me my engine torn apart. The culprit seems to be the seal at the top of the spark plug tube. It became fragile from all the heat of the engine and split. Then the oil went down the tube and made a maasive fire where the coil comes in contact with the spark plug. After that it melted everything and bits of spark plug went into the cylinder and scraped up the edges. One engine down. If I were you I would get all the seals of the valve cover replaced. Oh and all the clips that hold down the wires to the coil. Good luck trying to get those off. The high heat makes those so brittle, you break them trying to unclip it. And they don't want to sell just the boot. You need to buy a whole new wire harness .$500
post #14 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoon View Post
They just showed me my engine torn apart. The culprit seems to be the seal at the top of the spark plug tube. It became fragile from all the heat of the engine and split.
I told ya it was High Heat. This explains why it only happens on the V6s too as the I4(7th gen) is NOT a high heat application. weatherproofing is an asset for the 7th gen V6!
post #15 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
2006 I4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
I'm at 134,000 with the original factory Iridiums.
z
Do you ever plan on changing them out?

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.