Timing Belt on my V6 is due. DIY or Dealer? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Timing Belt on my V6 is due. DIY or Dealer?

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but I am pretty hesitant to do it myself. I do all other maintenance (plugs, fluids, rotors and pads) to my car myself, and I would LIKE to save a good bit of moolah.

So, for an average Joe who knows some, but not a lot about cars would it be a good bet to tackle this by myself? If yes, what tools do I need?

I'm at 101k miles now, and I have nightmares of the belt snapping and slithering up to my room to rape my wallet. (I want some peace of mind by replacing the belt)

'06 Honda Accord EX V6
101k miles
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

I'm at 119 and change, I feel like I'm riding in a time bomb set for 120 on the tenth Im having a buddy who opened up his shop with his pops do mine this week for 600. Good price so says my retired mechanic friend, if you can find an indy shop for that price, I would do that. I say this because I am also mechanically inclined (tradesman) and aren't afraid of getting dirty but know the limits as for DIY vs professional jobs.

I am not saying you shouldn't DIY, this is simply my .02 take it or leave it.

post #3 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I did my own timing belt, and the most difficult part was getting the crank pulley bolt off (I had to use a giant impact gun). I think Ericthecarguy.com has a video you can buy that may help. I think it was done on an Acura engine, but they're basically the same as the Accord's V6. I used the factory service manual for all the specific directions. I wouldn't try it with a Haynes or Chilton manual. You will need the crank pulley holding tool, something very strong to remove the crank bolt, and other basic tools. Do a search on this forum, and you should be able to find a more detailed list, with part numbers.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip96 View Post
I'm at 119 and change, I feel like I'm riding in a time bomb set for 120 on the tenth Im having a buddy who opened up his shop with his pops do mine this week for 600. Good price so says my retired mechanic friend, if you can find an indy shop for that price, I would do that. I say this because I am also mechanically inclined (tradesman) and aren't afraid of getting dirty but know the limits as for DIY vs professional jobs.

I am not saying you shouldn't DIY, this is simply my .02 take it or leave it.
The job seems simple to some, mind boggling to others. I had done a timing chain on a 4 cylinder Chevy, before trying the Accord V6, so that gave me enough confidence that I could do it myself. My advise, is to read the service manual, and decide for yourself if you understand exactly what is involved, and how you will accomplish each task.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #5 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Out of Control

you can DIY or pay someone. I was lazy and had someone do my TB and all the other crap for 300 along with my clutch for 350.

I diy my dad MDX and it was a pain in the ass with hand tools.

Peace Out SuckA!!!!
post #6 of 26 Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
6th Gear

Besides mechanical skills, a good amount of time, and hand tools, would be best to have if you want to try it yourself. There's a lot of stuff to remove

I work at a shop, and did the belt on my previous car a few weeks before I sold it. Without a lift, compressed air, and lots of sockets/ratchets/wrenches, I'd imagine it would be somewhat difficult and time consuming

Read up as much as you can and then decide. There are some very helpful threads on here. Two common issues are the crank pulley bolt being very hard to loosen (I used a 3/4" air gun), and the rear cam sprocket spinning out of alignment

My previous Accord had 130k miles when I changed the belt, and there were no major signs of wear. With my current car at 87k miles, I wont be changing it for a while
post #7 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM
out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1114 View Post
Besides mechanical skills, a good amount of time, and hand tools, would be best to have if you want to try it yourself. There's a lot of stuff to remove

I work at a shop, and did the belt on my previous car a few weeks before I sold it. Without a lift, compressed air, and lots of sockets/ratchets/wrenches, I'd imagine it would be somewhat difficult and time consuming

Read up as much as you can and then decide. There are some very helpful threads on here. Two common issues are the crank pulley bolt being very hard to loosen (I used a 3/4" air gun), and the rear cam sprocket spinning out of alignment

My previous Accord had 130k miles when I changed the belt, and there were no major signs of wear. With my current car at 87k miles, I wont be changing it for a while
Timing belts don't show signs of wear, they just snap. Even Honda says so.

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
4th Gear

Dont the v6 models have a timing chain and do not need to be replaced?
post #9 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
sUpReMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLDeluxe View Post
Dont the v6 models have a timing chain and do not need to be replaced?
NO, you got it backwards. The 4 has the timing chain and the V6 has timing BELT.

2005 Honda Accord EX-V6
post #10 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
2006 I4 MT

Try to do it yourself, if you get stuck, put everything back and take the parts to a mechanic.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #11 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Out of Control

^ what if you get to the point of no return?

Peace Out SuckA!!!!
post #12 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
2006 I4 MT

That's why you saved that last bullet.

Or call a tow truck.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #13 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Keep in mind that along with the timing belt it's just plain smart to change the water pump and other parts since you are already in there. To replace them you would have to do the same tear down again.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Out of Control

^ yup

water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, coolant flush, themostat change, valve adjustment. The car will run like new again.

Peace Out SuckA!!!!
post #15 of 26 Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
4th Gear

Check out my experience changing my TB: Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement & Valve Adjustment...Complete

I followed the FSM and looked at the DIY on azine.

The first thing you need to do is find out if you can get the crank pulley bolt off; it took me a long time and I refused to use a torch. I thought it might damage the damper pulley or the crankshaft oil seal.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.