Stripped allen fitting on strut - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Stripped allen fitting on strut

Hello! I was just putting on some lowerin springs and when I was taking off the last shock I stripped the allen screw holder on the top. How do I go around doing it??? I tried googling but they only showed hot to get rid of it completely.
My car is sitting on jackstands outside and its raining
Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
2008 Accord Coupe EX

i saw a tool thats capable of removing any stipped nuts, but i cant remember what, sorry

post #3 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I dont know if a tool would work since the allen fitting is connected straight to the main shock rod

post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Out of Control

you need to impact gun it out, but it will destroy the shock.

Peace Out SuckA!!!!
post #5 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
you need to impact gun it out, but it will destroy the shock.
Damn, I dont get why that nut is on there so tight the others came off without problems.
I wana try it one more time before getting a new shock or keeping it stock. I read somehwere that it might work if you put the shock back onto the car and try to take it off while its mounted?

Thanks for the reply
post #6 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 PM
2008 Accord Coupe EX

u mite try reinstalling the other nuts back on and try loosing that one, see if that works
post #7 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyaccord View Post
u mite try reinstalling the other nuts back on and try loosing that one, see if that works
I will do that tomorrow, if it wont work then I guess Ill have stock springs on the back

Thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

Send a message via AIM to korrupt3dazn Send a message via Skype™ to korrupt3dazn
You gonna need new shocks...once your destroy that allen screw your pretty much SOL. Trust me I did the same thing.
I ended up buying some KYB shocks for 150 from AAP
  • I tried hammering in a bigger allen bit as well and that didnt do any thing.
  • I tried using Vise Grips to grab that rod and un bolting and that didnt do anything.
  • I tried Swearing at it for about 5 minutes
  • I tried using a impact gun and it got the nut moving but once it hit the top it just spun the rod. This was probally do to the fact I hammered in a bigger bit and flared out the top

even if you did manage it get that nut off...how are you going to tighten it since you will need the allen key to keep the rod from moving while you tighten the nut....

well just giving you my 2 cents lol.

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi

Previous Cars:
2004 Accord EX-L I4
2000 Accord EX V6
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrupt3dazn View Post
You gonna need new shocks...once your destroy that allen screw your pretty much SOL. Trust me I did the same thing.
I ended up buying some KYB shocks for 150 from AAP
  • I tried hammering in a bigger allen bit as well and that didnt do any thing.
  • I tried using Vise Grips to grab that rod and un bolting and that didnt do anything.
  • I tried Swearing at it for about 5 minutes
  • I tried using a impact gun and it got the nut moving but once it hit the top it just spun the rod. This was probally do to the fact I hammered in a bigger bit and flared out the top

even if you did manage it get that nut off...how are you going to tighten it since you will need the allen key to keep the rod from moving while you tighten the nut....

well just giving you my 2 cents lol.
Haha funny I tried everything you did, I also drilled a hole across and stuck a screw driver in it, guess what? Broke the whole allen part there is no room left. So I just put the shock back on, so Im only lowered in the front.

I was also thinking of getting an OEM used part from somewhere, they are around 80$, just hoping the bolt wont be seized again.

Did the shocks you buy come with the boot and the stopper part? Because even if I buy a spare set of shocks I will need to replace all the inside parts which I cant do because I cant open the darn thing
post #10 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Does anyone know if the v6 rear shocks are the same as 4cyl rear shocks?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
5th Gear

did you try a reverse drill bit it drills in reverse until it grabs and removes the allen it has helped me out a lot!. proper name is left hand drill bit

post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

Send a message via AIM to korrupt3dazn Send a message via Skype™ to korrupt3dazn
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLDeluxe View Post
Haha funny I tried everything you did, I also drilled a hole across and stuck a screw driver in it, guess what? Broke the whole allen part there is no room left. So I just put the shock back on, so Im only lowered in the front.

I was also thinking of getting an OEM used part from somewhere, they are around 80$, just hoping the bolt wont be seized again.

Did the shocks you buy come with the boot and the stopper part? Because even if I buy a spare set of shocks I will need to replace all the inside parts which I cant do because I cant open the darn thing
Well if you are at that point then I can tell you what I did...which is to just cut the nut off with a dremel and metal cutting wheel.I compress the spring to take pressure off the top hat. I made sure that the spring compressor is really really secure and the little locks were on. Then I cut a little and then re-checked the spring compressor agian. The new shocks comes with a new bolt :-)

Not telling what to do just letting you know what I did which worked for me :-)

Also Make sure you where gloves and safety glasses :-)

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi

Previous Cars:
2004 Accord EX-L I4
2000 Accord EX V6
post #13 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley909 View Post
did you try a reverse drill bit it drills in reverse until it grabs and removes the allen it has helped me out a lot!. proper name is left hand drill bit
Yea I heard about those, but drilling meant ruining the shock

I will probably get a rear set like korrupt3dazn did

Thanks for your help guys
post #14 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 PM
lookin' clean

Send a message via AIM to digitalh3lix
impact gun.

2013 VW Passat
2007 ASM Accord SE Sedan 5SPD
Mods:Skunk 2 knob, Neuspeed SSK, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni yellows, Modulo front lip, Hybrid Tails, HFP Silverstars, General Exclaim 225/50/17, Hawk brakes pads, 17mm RSB, strut tower,Mini H1 Retro, 6K HID, Acura Legend brake calipers, Depo headlights,Raxles, Syncromesh,Boston Acoustics
1993 Prelude VTEC 5SPD BLACK - SOLD.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.