Centric Posiquiet Ceramic Pads vs Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Centric Posiquiet Ceramic Pads vs Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads

Does anyone have first hand experience with both? I know a lot of people here LOVE the Akebono pads. However, browsing other forums, others also like the Centric Ceramic pads.

The Centric pads can be had for $30 cheaper total for all four corners. I am trying to figure out if the Akebono's are worth the extra $30.

Any advice would be appreciated. They are being paired with Centric's premium rotors.

Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

I had the akebono's on my Corrado and hated them. The new owner hates them too. I've noticed that people here like them alot but I think that it really depends on your driving style. Akebono is standard on some mercedes I believe. It's like an all season tire.....which I also dislike.

post #3 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Akebono is an OEM supplier for many companies including Honda as well. I too am not a fan of all season tires. My Galant VR-4 had Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for the warm months and Dunlop Wintersport M3's for the winter.

My Accord, however, is being used solely for daily driving. Little to no spirited driving.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

My input may be useless for you because I base my opinion on mostly worst case scenarios and extreme use. For a DD with no spirited driving, I have no idea what to recommend.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM
3rd Gear

Subscribed. I don't want to steal the thread, but Jeff also recommended the Hawk HPS pads in the other brake thread. They're another step up in price from the akebono's, but may be worth it if (as Jeff indicated) the akebono's are less than great when cold.

13 i4 CVT Navi MSM/Gray
06 6-6 Navi CBP/Ivory GMSMFM TL-S RSB Coming soon: TL-S FSB
post #6 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Since the car is my daily and it's only the 4 cylinder automatic, I have no desire to drive it hard. It's slow but comfortable and practical. I just want it to stop as good if not better than stock.

My biggest concerns are: Rotor life, pad life, braking power, NOISE, and dust. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. If the Akebono's are worth the extra $30, I'll go with those.

My commute is 50 miles round trip to work. Some of it can be abrupt stopping. My current setup (which I assume is stock) shakes braking down from 65 MPH. I would like to eliminate that and brake with confidence. I will also be performing a brake fluid change because I doubt it was ever changed on my 2003 Accord with 92,000 miles (I got the car back in March).
post #7 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

I hear you JSchleim - but I need it to stop as good as or better than stock *all the time*. Jeff's "HPS over the akebono" comment makes it seem like the akebono's are better than stock *when hot*. DW hits the hwy almost immediately - if she has to pull a 70-0 and the brakes aren't up to it cause they're still cold, I do not want.

13 i4 CVT Navi MSM/Gray
06 6-6 Navi CBP/Ivory GMSMFM TL-S RSB Coming soon: TL-S FSB
post #8 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

I have on 03 Accord I-4 auto with 93k miles. Have used Napa Adapative one brake pads for over a year now. Really like them.Low dust. Kinda light gray that is hard to see on wheels. Quiet and bites hard. Not Hawk HPS hard but close enough.

Below is their propaganda.

TWO DIFFERENT PADS ONE
REVOLUTIONARY BRAKING SYSTEM

As the first big braking idea in more than a decade, Adaptive One® hybrid ceramic disk brake pads capitalize on the benefits of NAO pads and semi-met pads to deliver a set of brake pads that instinctively knows and recognizes the best way to stop your vehicle.

NAPA Brakes specially formulated Adaptive One hybrid ceramic disc brake pad sets employ an advanced noise reduction system that guarantees they will operate noise free.

With Adaptive One the two different formulations work together to provide the ultimate stopping performance and the lowest noise and dusting no matter how you drive.

•Specially formulated with two different custom ceramic formulations
•Responds to any driving style or condition
•Unsurpassed combination of stopping power, noise free braking and dust free performance
•Increasing ceramic coverage
•Noise Free Guarantee

03 Sedan I-4 LX 5AT 110k Miles

Enkei RP03 SBC 17X8 48MM offset
General Exclaim 225/50 R 17
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
TL Rear Sway Bar
Suntek Tint 20% F 5% Rear
Magnefine ATF
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 10k OCI
Motul 5.1
post #9 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchleim18 View Post
My current setup (which I assume is stock) shakes braking down from 65 MPH. I would like to eliminate that and brake with confidence. I will also be performing a brake fluid change because I doubt it was ever changed on my 2003 Accord with 92,000 miles (I got the car back in March).
I had similar shaking. Check whether it is front or rear by pulling the ebrake when up to speed. If it does it then it is your rear.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
4th Gear

You will regret buying POSquiet, cheap price cheap quality. Buy the Akebono, and rest assure.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Michael

I bought my car certified used at 32k and almost immediately put EBC Blackdash rotors on, with Stoptech stainless brake lines. Even still running OEM pads my braking improved a lot. I'm around 40k miles now, and had a friend install my Akebono today. I love them. They feel better than OEM, and I even can stop faster than before. Actually, slamming the brakes at speed is quite uncomfortably rapid stop now. Better than stopping too slow of course! I haven't tried the others, but I love the Akebono.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

post #12 of 32 Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 AM

Good points about cold friction vs hot. There are differences, but most of us won't notice it, IMHO. Just remember, as I've said elsewhere, if you really want to stop faster, get grippier tires. If you can lock up your brakes, the pads aren't limiting your stopping distance.

My preferred setup has been ProActs and Brembo rotors. When I couldn't get a Brembo rear rotor, I used NAPA UltraPremium - Raybestos relabels. I like them a lot.

Last front change on my '04, I couldn't get the ProActs in time and went with the AdaptiveOne on Brembos. Developed horrific judder after 15,000 miles. I'm glad to see someone with good results.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #13 of 32 Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM
4th Gear

I paired my AdaptiveOnes with brand new Brembos.

My old OEM rotors developed slight judder but did not want old material from OEM pads affecting the break-in of new pads. About 15K miles on new pads.

03 Sedan I-4 LX 5AT 110k Miles

Enkei RP03 SBC 17X8 48MM offset
General Exclaim 225/50 R 17
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
TL Rear Sway Bar
Suntek Tint 20% F 5% Rear
Magnefine ATF
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 10k OCI
Motul 5.1
post #14 of 32 Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thank you all for the insight. I'll go with the Akebono pads
post #15 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchleim18 View Post
Thank you all for the insight. I'll go with the Akebono pads
just install new breaks brembo with akebono proact and better then stock..no more shaking when breaking..

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.