Centric Posiquiet Ceramic Pads vs Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatel1981 View Post
just install new breaks brembo with akebono proact and better then stock..no more shaking when breaking..
Akebono are better than I expected. Outstanding pads!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by python6mt View Post
I hear you JSchleim - but I need it to stop as good as or better than stock *all the time*. Jeff's "HPS over the akebono" comment makes it seem like the akebono's are better than stock *when hot*. DW hits the hwy almost immediately - if she has to pull a 70-0 and the brakes aren't up to it cause they're still cold, I do not want.
This basically sums up what I said. Don't get me wrong, the Akebono pads are nice (when hot), but it was the sole fact that they performed absolutely terrible when cold that made me take them off and install the Hawk pads.

Sure, you're going to get a shitload more dust on your wheels with the Hawk pads, but that's the trade-off I'm more than willing to take to have better braking performance.

In short, stay away from any ceramic pad. Sure, they last long, don't wear out your rotors, and have almost no brake dust, but these pros don't outweigh the cold performance con.

Also, I don't know if this equates to any real measurable performance, but I noticed that with my Akebono pads on, my ABS would never apply at all, even when I floored the brake pedal. When I had the Hawk pads, it was a lot easier to engage ABS, and I also noticed that the car nose dives a lot more when I slammed the brakes (which, according to the laws of physics, makes sense if you have a better performing brake setup).

2007 Honda Accord EX-L i4 Sedan
post #18 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Jeff,

How long did it take for the ceramic pads to heat up? I have about five minutes of town driving before I hit the highway on my way to work. There's also about five stops during that span too.

Thanks

post #19 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

To be honest, it seemed like they never warmed up, even when driving in the city. I remember having to slam my brakes once before I left my neighborhood every day so I could get the stopping power that I wanted.

post #20 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Alright guess I'll give them a shot and keep my fingers crossed that I'm not disappointed
post #21 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM
4th Gear

Or you could save the trouble and get pads that are widely known to perform very well. Just saying.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I understand the Hawk HPS pads work very well and are tried and true. Everyone that I knew who had used them were driving their cars more aggressive than most. However, I'm only using my car for a daily driver and I'm usually a defensive driver who doesn't tailgate people so I have plenty of time to prepare myself to stop.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
4th Gear

Understandable, but even if you are a very defensive driver, there will still be times when it's a freak moment, requiring you to stop 70-0. In that case, I bet you'd wish you had better brakes. That's a long time to be braking.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned this, but when I had the Akebono pads on, that was with my Legend GS dual caliper setup. Even then the cold braking was worse than stock. I can't imagine how it would be on the stock calipers.

Brakes are the one thing that I will never skimp on for my car. I realize that I'm pretty much the only person advising against the Akebono pads, but just take it with a grain of salt. It may even be personal preference. Just get whichever pads you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:
teezythakidd (03-02-2015)
post #24 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

No problem at all Jeff. I appreciate your insight and experiences. And thanks for everyone else's help as well.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM

FWIW, I've never experienced the cold friction issues Jeff describes. Of course, if this thread proves anything, it's that YMMV. There were two opposing views of the NAPA AdaptiveOnes, for example. If anything, I'd expect a performance-oriented pad (i.e., one designed for the track - and Hawk describes the HPS as a street pad) to have poorer cold friction, but also better fade resistance.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #26 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I'm going to be replacing my stock rotors next time I need pads, so I've been reading a lot of reviews on forums, parts websites, tirerack.com, etc. The Akebono pads seem to get great reviews, for the most part. There will always be someone that doesn't like them, but most do. Right now, I'm leaning toward the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors, and Akebono ProAct ceramic pads. Things could change, because I still have plenty of time. The rears are maybe 6 months from the end, but the front pads might last another year or more. One thing I'm not sure about is, are the rear stock pads ceramic or organic? Most parts sites say the OE pads are ceramic, but I've heard the rears are organic, and that's why they wear so fast. The rear pads seem to wear a lot quicker than the front, which is opposite from every other car I've owned.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #27 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
The rear pads seem to wear a lot quicker than the front, which is opposite from every other car I've owned.
That is to prevent the car from nosediving when you brake.

/

/

post #28 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
That is to prevent the car from nosediving when you brake.
I've heard that too. That the EBD gives more power to the rear, but I'm wondering if organic pads in the rear have something to do with it also.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #29 of 32 Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear

I just got my tires replaced and while the wheels were off, the mechanic pointed out to me that the rear brakes were pretty worn down, but the fronts still had a good amount of life in them

I asked if that wear was normal and he said it was pretty common for most Hondas

Accord: 2007 Alabaster Silver sedan, EX-L V6 automatic
Current mods: USA-Spec iPod Adapter | Window tints [50% front doors, 20% rear doors & rear window] | Diode Dynamics Stage 2 Interior LED kit | Injen CAI | OEM replica deck lid spoiler
Wishlist: Upgrade speakers | 17mm TL RSB
post #30 of 32 Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Michael

I've done quite a few hard stops with my Accord to test the Akebono, and they're great. I guess being in California I don't have the "problems" with the temperature listed. And I garage it.

/

/

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.