I fixed my seatbelt buckle today - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 104 Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to sontt007
I fixed my seatbelt buckle today

Hi everybody,
I fixed my driver seatbelt buckle today. The symptom is the airbag light turn on intermittent . If I seat belt before starting the car, then the air bag light won't turn on.

First, remove the cover with a star headed screwdriver. Then, open the cover. I clean the switch and other parts,lubricate with a little Wd-40 . After that, I adjust the gap between the lever and the switch about 1 mm . Finally, put everything back together. Hope this work for those who have the same symptom like mine . Save some money.

Attached Images

04 AT Accord EX 4 cyl
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
4th Gear

that's great that you were able to get in there and solve the problem.

i am having this issue. i had planned to contact honda to see if they can solve it at a minimal cost. .... but this sounds like an options too, (if they give me too much of a hassle).

I didn't get a clear idea of what you did from the description. this wouldve been a great thing to video record. i am sure we are not the only ones with this issue.

thanks again!

RyanAccord
-----------------------
2004 EX-L V6 Auto
post #3 of 104 Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear

I just did this also about 2 months ago, although without pics for a write up. The system uses a sealed micro-switch. I used my multi-meter and tested the functionality of the switch which was good. I believe that the metal lever distorts, or flatten outs a bit over time and does nott activate the switch properly. It was an easy fix. I am glad you took pictures because I was kicking my self for not.

post #4 of 104 Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to sontt007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAccord View Post
that's great that you were able to get in there and solve the problem.

i am having this issue. i had planned to contact honda to see if they can solve it at a minimal cost. .... but this sounds like an options too, (if they give me too much of a hassle).

I didn't get a clear idea of what you did from the description. this wouldve been a great thing to video record. i am sure we are not the only ones with this issue.

thanks again!
This job is pretty easy, just a little time consuming. You have to remove the seat with a 14 mm socket. Slide the seat all the way back to open the 2 front bolts, then slide the seat all the way to the front to open the 2 back bolts. There are 2 plastic cover on the back bolts, you need to pry it out to access to the bolt. Then, lift the seat to remove the bolt on the side that hold the seatbelt buckle with a 14mm wrench or socket. That 's how to remove the seatbelt buckle from the driver seat.

04 AT Accord EX 4 cyl
post #5 of 104 Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

Great job!

But actually u can find a honda dealer, seatbelt buckle is under lifetime warranty, they will replace it for u for free
post #6 of 104 Old 04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10td View Post
Great job!

But actually u can find a honda dealer, seatbelt buckle is under lifetime warranty, they will replace it for u for free
true.

i am going to start there, before i start taking seats out, etc. ... but i am glad to see that someone was able to solve the issue on thier own.

RyanAccord
-----------------------
2004 EX-L V6 Auto
post #7 of 104 Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
sUpReMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10td View Post
Great job!

+1 Props on getting it done on your own, but nothings better than getting something fixed for FREE from the stealership

2005 Honda Accord EX-V6
post #8 of 104 Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by undftd_182 View Post
from the stealership
lol

RyanAccord
-----------------------
2004 EX-L V6 Auto
post #9 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Mike

Hi all, thought I would add my findings to the thread, great pics BTW.

I have been having problems with the Air-Bag light for some time. When it first happened I had a look at the codes (I have a Honda HIM and Honda software running on my car-pc) and it identified the Driver seat belt sensor.

Iím in no position at the moment to go down the dealer path and as I was removing the seat for another project, I decided to take a look at the buckle.

This condition had been getting worse and if I watched the lights closely I noticed that every so often the seat belt indicator was not coming on as the seat belt was released. I was interested to see if the metal actuating slide that drives the micro-switch lever could be binding in any way.

Well it wasnít, and the Micro-switch lever was not bent or fatigued. Micro switches normally have a definite click as the internal spring loaded switch flicks between the two contacts and this is independent of how fast or how far the actuating lever travels, it just has to move and release enough to allow that action to happen. The switch action occurs over a very small amount of the total lever travel. FYI the switch in this unit is a double throw single pole, IE A changeover switch.

Testing on the bench proved it to be working faultlessly in both directions. One of the tests I did before removing from the vehicle was to slowly withdraw the belt from the buckle, I could get it to fault more often than if I ejected it quickly, again, thatís strange if itís just a switch contact problem as in a micro switch, the internal changeover speed is not affected by how fast you move the lever.

I think there is a possibility that in my case, the sealed plunger which is driven into the switch by the lever may have been binding. I read somewhere of the red sealing ring being levered out with a pin and someone spraying cleaner into the micro-switch (ruined the seal). However it may have just been the rubber/plastic sealing ring that was the problem after all.

I was not going to do anything to the switch that could affect a possible lifetime replacement policy (havenít had a straight answer on that over here as yet) so I simply sprayed the shaft with a special contact cleaner and switch lubricant (one that leaves no residue for dust to adhere to and is plastic friendly). I also sprayed/cleaned the under seat plug and socket as I had read of intermittent problems there as well. Assembled and back in the vehicle and itís been perfect for the last few days, it will be interesting to see how long it holds up.

Iíve serviced various equipment running high cycle ďsealedĒ micro switches and over time I canít really remember having to replace them for an intermittent switch contact, they either worked or they didnít, anyway, I thought this may be of interest to someone.

BTW, the micro switch and lead assembly just pop out, carefully though, itís a plastic locating tab on the switch that locks into a metal spring clip/retainer.

04 - V6 Auto Luxury Accord (Thail build).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís easy to be NASTY - Sometimes it takes a little more effort to be NICE.
post #10 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

I had my buckle apart looking at it a couple weeks ago since my local dealer wants to charge me $100 just to pull it in their service bay. The thing I noticed right off the bat was that everything was covered with dust and fuzz and there were several large fluffy clumps of dust in it also. I blew it out really good with the compressor made sure everything else looked "right" then put it back together but it still has the same problem. I may try some plastic friendly cleaner next time I get around to taking it apart.

Seems like I notice it most if I start the car then for some reason unbuckle my seatbelt until the light comes on then fasten it back. The light never goes back off unless I shut the car down and start it back up. This happens most frequently going through a drive-thru when I unbuckle it to get my wallet out.
post #11 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Folks, seatbelts are covered under warranty for the life of the vehicle as long as the title is clear (not a rebuild or branded).

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I had fixed mine a couple of times, until the actuator arm broke off, then I took it to the dealership and had them change it (no charge). I was able to open the buckle without removing it from the seat. You have to push the seat cushion down a good bit, but not too hard.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #13 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Folks, seatbelts are covered under warranty for the life of the vehicle as long as the title is clear (not a rebuild or branded).
And I stated that I am not in a position to do that at this time and I noted the lifetime replacement policy in my post.

post #14 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

I can attest that the dealer will fix these things under lifetime warrenty. It was painless.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #15 of 104 Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Mike

Thatís really great to hear, owners on this and other threads/forums have found the same, it can be as simple as a warranty trip to the dealer. However that is not the case for some countries with owners ending up trying to convince local dealers that the problem is with the seat belt holding mechanism itself and not just the switch in an attempt to get a warranty replacement. Others have exhausted all avenues and ended up paying for the repair. If you canít get a resolution from Honda, for whatever reason, then threads like this one may help someone.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.