Help with serpentine belt noise - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Help with serpentine belt noise

I have been reading about serpentine belt issues, but wanted to know if the grease leaking by my tensioner is something the worry about

On damp mornings, my belt squeals for a bit (not shrieks) and then goes away after a few minutes of warming up. I had a squeal a couple months ago when cold, but I changed the O-Ring for the power steering and the noise went away. Now I have a similar noise that I am hoping is just the belt and not the pulley.

Now that it's back, I've consider changing my belt for my 2005 V6 using this DIY guide so generously written by Accordriver

There is a wet spot of grease that has me concerned it may be the belt and pulley and I don't have the experience necessary to tell. Does anyone know if this is a clear sign the pulley is leaking? Is that normal for 93,000 miles?

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

In the meantime, I've changed the belt since it's cheap and very easy. If it is a pulley, I'm hoping the new belt will make the pulley work less until it's time to be replaced with the timing belt and water pump soon.

Thanks everyone for looking, this forum is essential for any Accord owner!

post #3 of 18 Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM
2006 I4 MT

Does the new belt still make the noise?

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT

post #4 of 18 Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yi3o8 View Post
In the meantime, I've changed the belt since it's cheap and very easy. If it is a pulley, I'm hoping the new belt will make the pulley work less until it's time to be replaced with the timing belt and water pump soon.

Thanks everyone for looking, this forum is essential for any Accord owner!
Changing out the tensioner pulley is very easy and cheap and most likely the noise given the symptoms you describe about the noise. I don't know about the oil though and where it is coming from. The tensioner does not leak oil. Clean off the oil with a rag or brake clean and see if it comes back.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #5 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

The noise is intermittent and only when first starting the car for the day. I'm guessing it is the pulley, but I must need to search for a different place because I was quoted over $50 for the pulley alone. Also, the pulley seems a little more tricky to get off, I didn't see the other bolts and wasn't sure if I needed to take off the tensioner bolt first.

I will clean the oil off and see if it comes back at all. Thanks again for all of the replies.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Looks like I should just replace the tensioner. The timing belt service adds $200 if the tensioner is replaced on top of $887 and so I can get to that and keep the price down in advance.

Now to find out how...
post #7 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Normal.

I had the same exact symptom as you, squeal at start-up on cold damp mornings then went away after warm-up. Idler pulley was leaking. I had that plus timing belt and water pump all changed at the dealer at 98000 miles. No more noise.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
06' 6-6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Normal.

I had the same exact symptom as you, squeal at start-up on cold damp mornings then went away after warm-up. Idler pulley was leaking. I had that plus timing belt and water pump all changed at the dealer at 98000 miles. No more noise.
Identical symptoms here on the V6. Going to tackle it this weekend hopefully.

2012 EX-L V6 6MT Coupe Crystal Black Pearl / Black
2006 EX V6 6MT Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl / Ivory (sold)
2005 EX I-4 5AT Sedan Redondo Red Pearl / Black
1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
post #9 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Looks like DAYCO Part # 89369 {#89369FN} Belt Tensioner Assembly at RockAuto is the cheapest. OEM from a dealer was quoted at almost 4x the amount.

Not sure if the bottom pulley is even worth the trouble. According to the AcuraZine forum it's bolt is blocked and hard to get out. I'll try to just replace the tensioner and belt.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by yi3o8 View Post
Looks like DAYCO Part # 89369 {#89369FN} Belt Tensioner Assembly at RockAuto is the cheapest. OEM from a dealer was quoted at almost 4x the amount.

Not sure if the bottom pulley is even worth the trouble. According to the AcuraZine forum it's bolt is blocked and hard to get out. I'll try to just replace the tensioner and belt.
On a previous car of mine (Q45), I replaced just the pulley bearing which I purchased from this site and had Napa pull out the old one and press it in. That bearing was up to standards for automotive use but you might want to check with them before purchasing for your Accord. You'll have to measure the one currently in the pulley.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Getting a bearing might not be a bad idea. I'm not sure if I know enough to trust that though.

And not to inundate the forum with more of the same, but Honda parts informs me that a 2005 EX V6 should take part 04317 RCA 305 (31170 RCA A02 is the older part number).

After researching the design of aftermarket tensioners, there is a big difference to their fundamental operation.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I would suggest getting an updated oem tensioner, and use the link below to install it. You can probably get the tensioner cheaper from an online dealership.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #13 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thank you very much for the link with the info. It didn't seem right that the updated part would be easy to get to from reading what other members went through to get clearance and this PDF confirms that.

I will stick with the original plan of waiting for the timing belt service and letting the new belt temporarily make it easier on the pulley.

Thanks again
post #14 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Pulley vibration and noise

October of last year, I changed the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner of my 2005 EX V6. When it was cold in Dec & Jan, I could hear slight squeal after starting the motor, and went away after it warmed up. Recently, whenever the radiator fans are on, I always hear some clear rattle from the serpentine belt area. I found out the rattle sound is from the tensioner pulley when it vibrates. Is it because the timing belt was changed, and the serpentine belt wasn't, consenquently making the tensioner pulley off balance? Would changing serpentine belt fix the rattle or would I need a tensioner replacement? :dunno: :confused:
Thanks a lot! :)
Youtube:
Attached Images
post #15 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

You may need a tensioner. But a belt would help for now. Go with Gates or OEM (maybe gator back but haven't tried them on the accord) I went with Gates since I may change the tensioner via the instructions above with some help and the updated OEM tensioner also listed above.

Good luck. The belt is a 5 minute job if you have the routing figured out.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.