Resale value - V6 Accord EX vs. Lexus ES series - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Resale value - V6 Accord EX vs. Lexus ES series

As I've posted recently, I'm nearly ready to buy a 2004 V6 Accord EX-L. I also have my eye on a Lexus ES series (either the ES300 or ES330). Keeping things as equal as possible (I know they are completely different vehicles) which holds its resale value better...V6 Accords ('03-'06) or the Lexus ES? What is the basis for your opinion?

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Hate to say this, but my guess would be the Lexus. Do a KBB on both cars. We've owned both, and I will say the Lexus is an excellent vehicle. My wife had an RX300. Also remember like Cadillac when you fix it you will pay Lexus prices.

post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

restating the question....which would yield a higher % of return on initial investment

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Neither would provide a return but the Lexus would depreciate less. Also the auto transmission in the 04 V-6 Accord was not one of Honda's best efforts. I wouldn't even consider it. The Lexus does not have transmission issues.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

All things equal, they will probably both hold their value fairly well. On a 7-8 year old car, depreciation would be the last thing on my mind. I would look at ownership costs first. For example, how much will it cost to repair all the things that will begin failing as I drive this car for the next few years. Brakes, exhaust, gaskets, suspension components, scheduled maintenance, etc... In this case I would say the Accord will be much cheaper to own than the Lexus.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
7th Gear

I would get the Lexus given the choice.

It is a better car.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
I would look at ownership costs first. For example, how much will it cost to repair all the things that will begin failing as I drive this car for the next few years. Brakes, exhaust, gaskets, suspension components, scheduled maintenance, etc... In this case I would say the Accord will be much cheaper to own than the Lexus.

You mean things failing like the problematic V6 Accord Transmission, right? How would that affect ownership costs?

OP, get the Lexus as the V6 is too much of a risk. If you want a basis, just search the forum on V6 tranny issues. Also, you'll have a much quieter ride, free of rattles, etc. with the Lexus.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
You mean things failing like the problematic V6 Accord Transmission, right? How would that affect ownership costs?
Yes to the first part and the answer to the second is obvious....replacing a transmission is not chump change nor is repair. That would drive ownership costs sky high would it not?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
5th Gear

Before we all jump on the Accord transmission issues, let's talk about the Lexus V6 engine issues.............

Both have their faults...........

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordian04 View Post
As I've posted recently, I'm nearly ready to buy a 2004 V6 Accord EX-L. I also have my eye on a Lexus ES series (either the ES300 or ES330). Keeping things as equal as possible (I know they are completely different vehicles) which holds its resale value better...V6 Accords ('03-'06) or the Lexus ES? What is the basis for your opinion?
Honda has been know here in Canada to have good resale value but
then Lexus would also hold a fair amount of resale value as well because its a Luxuries car. So I would say Lexus would be on top compare to Accord (the one your talking about)

Side note: Accord did have transmission problems but not all of them(talking majority)

"I live my life in the fast lane"

"Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"
post #11 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
replacing a transmission is not chump change nor is repair. That would drive ownership costs sky high would it not?
That's the point I was making. It wasn't really a question.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #12 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

The lexus ES line is pretty much a Camry with all the bells and whistles. Just FYI. They arent really the popular kid in the Lexus crowd, just the cheaper one.

If your going Lexus and want a 6 cylinder I would look at the IS300 or the GS300. The ES300's are pretty blah.

2007 Accord EX-L 4cyl/slushbox
post #13 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

These two cars are not in the same class, are they? The Accord is not what I'd call a refined luxury car, but I love driving it.

As far as tranny goes - I did some research the night before I bought my 2004 EX V6, and while there are some horror stories all of the major sites I visited for relaibility gave the 04 EX V6 a high grade anyway.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.