Knocking sounds when applying the brakes slightly - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Knocking sounds when applying the brakes slightly

Hi all again...

I just noticed a new sound a few days ago.
The sound happens when I gently apply the brakes at low speed.
For example, when doing 20 per hour in traffic, I just touch the brakes so the pads barely touch and I get this knocking sound. It happens in parking lots too.
That's even if I go in a straight line.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone may have an idea as to what it could be ?

The car is a 2004 EX-L 4 cyl sedan with 155k km (96k miles)

Thanks !

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotik View Post
Hi all again...

I just noticed a new sound a few days ago.
The sound happens when I gently apply the brakes at low speed.
For example, when doing 20 per hour in traffic, I just touch the brakes so the pads barely touch and I get this knocking sound. It happens in parking lots too.
That's even if I go in a straight line.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone may have an idea as to what it could be ?

The car is a 2004 EX-L 4 cyl sedan with 155k km (96k miles)

Thanks !
Maybe warped rotors? Do you ever feel it at highway speeds? Most likely feel it as a vibration when breaking at 100 KMS/H)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 - Silver

Previously owned, but not forgotten:
2004 Accord LX I4 Sedan - Graphite Pearl
post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I doubt it's rotor related.
I had them all changed last March so not even a year ago.
Besides, I don't feel any pulsation in the pedal at any speed.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Yal
07 Sdn

Axle.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

I'm also getting a knocking sound but for me its always when I'm kind of braking hard or coming to complete stop down the highway ramp but its happening since I got my B service done at dealership which included servicing the brakes
post #6 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Axle... ?

That sounds expensive !

Is it ?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

Send a message via AIM to korrupt3dazn Send a message via Skype™ to korrupt3dazn
My Co-worker has this issue...turn out to be his lower control arm. Which is an cheap and easy fix. Axles are easy to replace as well.

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi

Previous Cars:
2004 Accord EX-L I4
2000 Accord EX V6
post #8 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Well.. the dealer looked at it and told me it was likely due to my non OEM pads moving slightly when touching on the rotors.

According to them, it happens and it's safe.
I had all rotors and pads done last winter at a local non Honda garage.

Opinions ? Has anyone experience anything like this due to non OEM pads ?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

I've been getting a knocking noise from the brake pedal for almost one year now, The "knock" I get is when I touch the brake pedal only, you can always here it inside the car.
And I have changed my roters, pads, bushings and end links as well not because of the knocking noise it's just cause I had to.
I don't think there is a safety issue here but its nice to get it fixed so please keep us posted.

And I've been using OEM pads btw
post #10 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff
I would double check all mounting bolts for the calipers. I had the same knocking problem (was the worst when I braked while going in reverse). Turns out the bolts holding the caliper bracket were loose, and the whole caliper was being knocked around.

2007 Honda Accord EX-L i4 Sedan
post #11 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

i've had that on one of my accords from aftermarket pads shifting up and down. i've also had a very similar noise to the pads knocking up and down but it was caused by the strut. with the car in the air i could hit the spring and isolate the noise to the top of the strut/strut mount. i replaced the mount and every bushing up there only to have the noise come back in about two months...i believe because the worn mount alllowed the shaft of the strut to also become worn/oblong. the new mount and bushings were needed, but didn't completely fix it till i did it all again with another strut. has been fine for a few months now since. a guy i work with said this was relatively common on hondas when he was at a honda shop. the control arm bushings is also a common failure, so really there are quite a few things to look for in the front ends for noises.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

This could be caused by the caliper pins sticking or pin boot. Make sure the pins are free of rust and well lubed with a silicone grease, also check the pin boots to make sure they are free of rips and tears, replace if needed. these are fairly cheap parts.

I am waiting on a new set of caliper pin boots from amazon, Honda sells the kit at about 45$ per wheel, I got boots for both rear wheels for 16$ shipped.

also if the brakes were installed incorrectly (shim pin must aligns with the caliper's pin.

Honda's shims are fairly sophisticated, did your replacement pads come with shims?

Current: 2011 Acura RDX SH-AWD, Pearl White
Retired: 2006 Honda Accord i4 SE Pearl Blue(216000km)
Retired: 2001 Honda Accord i4 LX, Burgundy (176000km)
post #13 of 15 Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 AM
My First Post

Unhappy knocking sound

Hi Chaotik,

looks like your car problem is the same as mine, my car is Honda Accord 2013 LX. This knocking sounds comes up while in low-speed especially in the parking lot area when going reverse or slightly go straight so knocking sound comes from the front like something was broken. if you think this is the same issue as your car please let me know if you fixed that and where and what was the problem.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like something is loose in your front suspension.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Ak View Post
if you think this is the same issue as your car please let me know if you fixed that and where and what was the problem.
Don't hold your breath. He hasn't posted in years and this thread is from 2012.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.