Power Steering Practically Non-Existent While Parking and K-Turns - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Unhappy Power Steering Practically Non-Existent While Parking and K-Turns

Hey all!!

I recently purchased from a private individual an '05 Accord EX-L V6 with about 38k miles on it.

Ever since the day after I got it I noticed that while parallel parking or trying to make quick K-turns or anything else where I am trying to turn the wheels at a very low seed the steering is really difficult almost as if I have no power steering.

I would not classify it as "stiff" because I think that is an understatement. The best way for me to describe it is that often I need to use BOTH HANDS and turn hard! I took it to a mechanic and he drove it around and said ya its a bit stiff but didnt really experience the same problem that I often have.

I did change the power steering O-ring (get rid of that whining noise) since then and used a turkey baster to remove as much power steering fluid from the reservoir as I could and refilled it with clean genuine Honda PS fluid, so the fluid should be fine.

I believe my issue is similar to this guy.

Has anyone else had this issue and what do you recommend I do??

HSS

2005 Accord EX-L V6 4DR, Graphite Pearl
What I've gleaned thus far:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Check your tire pressure that can be result of it. While your parked turn your steering wheel lil bit to right or left and see if it pulls back. This should tell you somewhat response of power steering. Other then this I suggest either compare with another accord or another mechanic to check it out.

post #3 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM49 View Post
Check your tire pressure that can be result of it. While your parked turn your steering wheel lil bit to right or left and see if it pulls back. This should tell you somewhat response of power steering. Other then this I suggest either compare with another accord or another mechanic to check it out.
Thanks for the response!

I believe all of the tire pressures are fine. Just last Sunday I took it to a local dealership for oil change, tire rotation, and general inspection, and I am sure they checked all the tire pressures when they do a rotation so I dont think that is the issue....

Anyone else have any thoughts?? I just hope that my power steering pump isnt bad like the fellow in that other thread I quoted

HSS

post #4 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
4th Gear

Check the power steering fluid level?

Her name is Nikki and she runs like a banshee: 07 4dr Ex-L V6 6mt - Bronze

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
post #5 of 28 Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
Check the power steering fluid level?
I did and its fine like I wrote in my first post.

post #6 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM

My father-in-law just told me about a recall/TSB on his Odyssey related to this exact same issue.

Date Reported: JULY 15 2011

NHTSA Reference: #10036938

TSB Reference: #SB-10-076

Description: HONDA: STEERING WHEEL IS HARD TO TURN QUICKLY AT LOW SPEEDS. WHEN TURNING WHEEL, QUICKLY, WHILE DRIVING AT LOW SPEEDS, IT IS HARD. ESPECIALLY WHILE DRIVING IN PARKING LOTS. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ASSIST FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP. STEER

Repair Information for NHTSA #10036938

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #7 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
My father-in-law just told me about a recall/TSB on his Odyssey related to this exact same issue.

Date Reported: JULY 15 2011

NHTSA Reference: #10036938

TSB Reference: #SB-10-076

Description: HONDA: STEERING WHEEL IS HARD TO TURN QUICKLY AT LOW SPEEDS. WHEN TURNING WHEEL, QUICKLY, WHILE DRIVING AT LOW SPEEDS, IT IS HARD. ESPECIALLY WHILE DRIVING IN PARKING LOTS. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ASSIST FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP. STEER

Repair Information for NHTSA #10036938
Thanks I googled that and found a PDF of the TSB which I attached here. Has anyone heard this being applied to an '05 Accord V6???

FredSVT or Princess could you check the Accord TSB's to see if you see anything similar??

Sounds kinda retarded for the Power Steering pump to have to be replaced after only 38k miles, I think Honda should pay for this one for my Accord as well.

HSS
Attached Images
File Type: pdf A10-076.pdf (201.5 KB, 3896 views)

post #8 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Just Found this:

Will this help me with anything?? The car is out of Warranty but I think that Honda should pay for this!

post #9 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

It could be your power steering then get it checked out... About replacing it for you now, I don' think that's possible car is 6 years old
post #10 of 28 Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM49 View Post
It could be your power steering then get it checked out... About replacing it for you now, I don' think that's possible car is 6 years old
Not True... I just checked with my local dealership and the service guy said that he does like 4 a week on the Odyssey's and as long as the car is under 100,000 miles they replace it at no cost.

I guess there arent enough people yet that have complained about this happening on their Accords....

HSS

post #11 of 28 Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 AM
6th Gear

Ugh, my 03 with 133k miles has a similar issue... not hard to turn, but definitely noticeable. Looks like I'll be paying out of pocket for this one...

****s, because I'm sure a large percentable of 7th gens are well over 100K miles by now...

Current:
2003 Honda Accord EXL: 2008-

Growing up:
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier: 2000-2008
1986 Pontiac 6000 LE: 1995-2000
1982 Honda Accord: 1993-1995
1979 Honda Civic: 1991-1993
post #12 of 28 Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSS View Post
Not True... I just checked with my local dealership and the service guy said that he does like 4 a week on the Odyssey's and as long as the car is under 100,000 miles they replace it at no cost.

I guess there arent enough people yet that have complained about this happening on their Accords....

HSS
I don't have time to look now, but I wonder if (and ASSume) the accord and odyssey share the same parts? Maybe they can "good will" the repair if they do share parts.

*edit*

The 7th gen accord and 08 odyssey share the same o-ring, part number 91345-RDA-A01, but not the same pump.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #13 of 28 Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
I don't have time to look now, but I wonder if (and ASSume) the accord and odyssey share the same parts? Maybe they can "good will" the repair if they do share parts.

*edit*

The 7th gen accord and 08 odyssey share the same o-ring, part number 91345-RDA-A01, but not the same pump.

Yes they arent the same PS pumps, the one on the Odyssey is much larger, but I have a feeling they must share this same flaw though...

post #14 of 28 Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I am having this same exact issue with my honda accord 2004.. It has 75k miles.. Did you resolve this?
post #15 of 28 Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TanAccordLX View Post
I am having this same exact issue with my honda accord 2004.. It has 75k miles.. Did you resolve this?

No I but I wish more people would complain to Honda so that maybe they would do something about it... It could be that it only affects a small portion of Accords but bottom line I believe they should cover the repairs...

I personally have ordered a new power steering pump for mine from Majestic Honda and will have either the dealer or my mechanic install it once it arrives, that should solve the issue, but its not so cheap...

HSS

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.