Help on scraping sound from wheel - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Help on scraping sound from wheel

Hi everyone,

My Accord has a weird scraping sound I've been trying to locate but with no luck. I did some searching here, and tried some things, but no luck either. Here's the details:

2007 Accord V6 coupe, AT, 47K miles

The sound ...
- sounds like metal on metal scraping coming from the passenger front wheel
- not a high pitched squeal typical of worn brakes
- very random and hard to predict, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't
- doesn't matter when vehicle is hot or cold ... could happen when backing out of driveway after sitting all day, or on the freeway after the car has warmed up
- applying the brakes makes no difference to whether the sound occurs or not
- on the freeway, the sound is more frequent and sounds "faster" ...
- in driveways at very slow speeds, the sound is slower and sounds like a slow grind / contact scrape
- on the freeway, the sound becomes noticeably louder when there is an object (such as a car or wall) running next to the passenger side, as the sound seems to bounce off that object and seem louder

I have tried ...
- taking both front wheels off and pushing back the brake shield. The brake shields weren't scraped or contact worn in any place, so I don't think it's that
- checked the thickness of the brake pads, and both are like new and still very thick
- carefully looked at the rotors and didn't notice new gouge marks on the surfaces
- quickly looked at the CV boots for any leaks or damage - none
- took off both front wheels and looked inside the rims - no damage or scrapes

Any other help or suggestions?!

Thanks!!

2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 AT
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Lucky I am here.

You won't believe it but it is your brake pads. Most likely your rears. It ****s trying to figure out the sound with the windows open and driving. You can do a search and find my post. It was a very intermittent sometimes heard at highway speeds, on and off sound. To me it sounded like an intermittent hiss, applying the brakes did nothing for the sound. Eventually they will get worse. Mine went another few hundred miles and then they finally made they telltale screech. Oh yeah each one of your points was true. Even the front tire removal.

I think what happens is the pads are snug against the rotor. Probably the pad is not completely worn even and then as the rotor turns it sometimes hits the worn part of the pad making the sound. My car is the 4, and the rears just went at 60k. Premature if you ask me but every time the wheel turns it rubs the pad. No doubt the 6 will wear its pads faster. I always thought the fronts should go first because of the front wheel drive.

I absolutely regret not doing them myself. Honda charged me about 350 to replace rear pads, turn rotors and flush and bleed brakes. Tax and shop fees accounted for over 50. (The other thing I should have done was purchase the Honda brake fluid and went to another shop - if a lot cheaper). You probably have a month at your driving mileage....

post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM
out of control

Sounds like your indicators are going off. Means you may need to replace brake pads. Same thing happened to me. Besides looking at the size of the pads have you actually checked the indicator on it?

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Have you had any work done recently? There's a small possibility it could be the spindle nut.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thanks everyone! It definitely looks like I probably need to replace the rear brake pads! I haven't had a chance to take a look at the indicators, but the last time I was at the dealer for an oil change, they measured the pad thickness:

Front: both 7 mm
Rear: both 4 mm

: nope, no work done recently!

2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 AT
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM
My First Post

Thanks! I just recently had this issue, I believe I've warped my brake pads, so it would make sense. I'll try changing them and see if it helps. Mine almost sounded like an impact drill on my front driver wheel.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Out of Control

I've had to replace crappy pads before they were due because the composition was too metallic or they'd glaze and sound like the brakes were grinding.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #8 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

I get this as well on my VP Sedan, but I have drumbreaks on the rear...
Maybe it's the front pads that are going bad? - The difference is I think I started hearing it not long after replacing the front pads and the sound kinda goes away after driving a bit.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Does it sound anything like this?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
The Following User Says Thank You to BLCKFLSH For This Useful Post:
andres0603 (05-18-2014)
post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordef View Post
I get this as well on my VP Sedan, but I have drumbreaks on the rear...
The drums will do the same thing.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #11 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
My First Post

Mine sounds exactly like that! Which is hard to describe by the way.
What is it?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.