starter advice - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

starter advice

Hello all. I have a 2004 Honda accord lx coupe 2.4 liter. Last month the car almost didnít start on me so I replaced my battery that was 4 years old. All was well until the other day it started to crank slowly again. I checked my alternator and it is putting 13.8 at idle and 14.1 at 2k rpm. My battery is setting at 12.8 statically. I have an alarm with an auto start and it will not start the car anymore because the cranking duration is not long enough with the current problem I am having. My question is do I need to replace my starter?

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

I have an 05 lx and had the exact same problem you describe. Difficult time turning over and new battery. If it's not your battery then it is most likely your starter. More specifically the solenoid but it is built into the starter body so you cant replace solenoid without replacing the entire starter. I believe Autozone, O'Riley, etc.. all sell for about 120. The replacement starter that is sold looks different as it has the solenoid on the outside but it does bolt in and there is clearance. I was shocked at how much work it was to replace. You have to remove the intake manifold, throttle/cruise cable, vacuum lines, and sensors just to get at the starter. If you are mechanically inclined then I say go for it.

BTW, I took the starter in and had it tested and the first time they said it was good but it was due to the fact that the solenoid had not completely failed. I had them test a new starter and you could hear an obvious difference b/t the new and old starter solenoid activating. I went home threw in the new starter and no more trouble.

Here is a thread with instructions:

HELP!!! removing starter

If you need help let me know. Good Luck!

post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you for the info. I will be working on the car tomorrow or monday. Ill let you know what comes about. Thanks again.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 AM
6th Gear

Had a similar problem with the 98 Accord and a starter replacement also fixed it. We went with a Honda replacement starter even tho it was more expensive. A few owners have reported early failures of the parts store starters.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
6th Gear

I just replaced a starter in a 07 lx coupe. was not difficult to replace at all. dealers are quoting 400+ for labor and 389 for the part. Do it yourself, autozone can special order the part for $194.99 + $35 core. took 2.5 hrs to remove the old and replace with the new.

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom mod:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAccord08 View Post
I just replaced a starter in a 07 lx coupe. was not difficult to replace at all. dealers are quoting 400+ for labor and 389 for the part. Do it yourself, autozone can special order the part for $194.99 + $35 core. took 2.5 hrs to remove the old and replace with the new.
I was just letting the original poster know that it is not a quick 30 min job. I have replaced starters on a few other cars and it was as simple as disconnecting the battery, disconnecting wiring to starter and unbolting. Like you said 2.5 hrs to remove. I would not even consider paying 400+ for labor so ya I say do it yourself but realize that it is some amount of work.

BTW autozone = Duralast Import/Starter

For your 2004 Honda Accord LX 2.4L MFI DOHC 4cyl
Price:
$127.99
Core:
$56.00
Total:
$183.99
Part Number: 17870

post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmoreno View Post
I was just letting the original poster know that it is not a quick 30 min job. I have replaced starters on a few other cars and it was as simple as disconnecting the battery, disconnecting wiring to starter and unbolting. Like you said 2.5 hrs to remove. I would not even consider paying 400+ for labor so ya I say do it yourself but realize that it is some amount of work.

BTW autozone = Duralast Import/Starter

For your 2004 Honda Accord LX 2.4L MFI DOHC 4cyl
Price:
$127.99
Core:
$56.00
Total:
$183.99
Part Number: 17870

2.5hrs to remove and install the new one*. meaning i replaced the starter, started it up, wash the car, clean my tools, put my tools away in 2.5 hours so the job really took less than that..

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

Custom mod:

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It took me about 5 hours total. I had the car all back together and it wouldnt start. Took it all apart again and went back to napa. They gave me the wrong starter. But after getting the right starter all was well. Honda wanted almost 500 bucks for the starter. They only had new not rebuilt. Thanks again for all the advice
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.