$130 for key replacement, what? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

$130 for key replacement, what?

I read on here where guys just went to a dealer and showed their registration and ID and got a replacement key for $10.00 so I was sticker shocked when I found out my local dealer charged $130.00 for one. $80.00 for the key and $50.00 for the programming.

I had to pass for now, I want that cold air return to much, I'll just have to be careful and pray I don't I don't lose my key.

2006 Honda Accord Sedan VP 2.4L Auto

Mods:
Custom bent 2 1/2" High Performance Catback Exhaust with Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Weapon R Dragon cold air intake with optional ram air charge and heat shield, Chrome Trim around wheel wells, Ugraded Tire Width to 215/60/15 from stock 195/65/15, Rear Wing, Racing stripes, Hood scoop, Pin strips, Honda Windows Logo, AM Rims, Rear Speakers

Planned Mods
Window Tint, New Wheels, TSX Intake Manifold, Coilovers, TSX headers, Body Kit.
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM

There is no way anyone paid $10 for a key from a dealership. You can save about $50 if you buy a key on eBay for around $30 and then have them cut and program for the $50.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
9th Gen Coupe

just by a replacement key off ebay
even a switchblade key if you want
then just have the dealer cut and program
cheaper and nicer

post #4 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebigg2000 View Post
I read on here where guys just went to a dealer and showed their registration and ID and got a replacement key for $10.00 so I was sticker shocked when I found out my local dealer charged $130.00 for one. $80.00 for the key and $50.00 for the programming.

I had to pass for now, I want that cold air return to much, I'll just have to be careful and pray I don't I don't lose my key.
You may have heard of some on here buying a knock off case on eBay for $10 and then taking the remote and chip out of the old key and sticking it in the new one. Then you just have to have the key cut. Fortunately, my dealer cut the key for me last time for free. However most don't and you are buying the key, remote and chip, plus programming and cutting. $130 is what most dealers charge.You can get a complete key and remote set on eBay for around $25, but you will still have to have it programmed and cut. You might get away with $75.

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #5 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM
6 speed 7th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
There is no way anyone paid $10 for a key from a dealership. You can save about $50 if you buy a key on eBay for around $30 and then have them cut and program for the $50.
although it wasnt $10..my dealer has programmed 2 keys for me free of charge.. keys varied from $40-$60. it's all about dealer relationship.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

Dealer wanted $90 for the whole bang, but I wanted switchblade. Three dealers later I finally got what I wanted it cost about $105 for 2 key cuts and 1 program.

2007 I4 Sedan Graphite Pearl (aka black)
OEM Foglights
Black JDM headlights
Turn signals in the side view mirrors
Magnefilter on the tranny
Dynamat like crazy and speaker upgrades
Acura rear sway bar 17mm
Front strut bar (ebay cheapo)
Carbon fiber hood
Blue paint on the engine plastics also
Tanabe Sustec Coilovers
Wicked camberkit on the rear
DC Sports CAI
Acura Intake Manifold
Magnaflow 14832 dual muffler conversion
DC sports header
post #7 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 PM
JBM
boost master

Send a message via AIM to JBM
stealership here wouldnt even cut/ program the key i bought off ebay. Just flat out refused because i didnt buy it from them. So now i only have 1 working key

35% tint, TL-S 20mm rsb. 8k hid's, tsx im. rsx underdrive pulleys, custom cat back, obx headers. o2 simulator. cai, neuspeed lowering springs on kyb's.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Carpe Diem

Don't have more then one Honda dealer in all of NY eh?
post #9 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM
4th Gear

If I only had 1 key, I would be sure to have my key code available. A spAre key would be a high priority. Losing keys ruins vacations. Take it from me.... and family fights.

2013 EX-l sedan
Hematite metallic
Jonesboro, Arkansas
post #10 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
stealership here wouldnt even cut/ program the key i bought off ebay. Just flat out refused because i didnt buy it from them. So now i only have 1 working key
Call American Honda and complain.

This is another reason people do not trust Dealships and is a direct reflection on Honda.

To flat out refuse to do something because you didn't buy from them, is absurd.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #11 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo069 View Post
You may have heard of some on here buying a knock off case on eBay for $10 and then taking the remote and chip out of the old key and sticking it in the new one. Then you just have to have the key cut. Fortunately, my dealer cut the key for me last time for free. However most don't and you are buying the key, remote and chip, plus programming and cutting. $130 is what most dealers charge.You can get a complete key and remote set on eBay for around $25, but you will still have to have it programmed and cut. You might get away with $75.
Thats probably what I remember. My memory is for crap with the meds Im on and the morphine probably twisted it. I honestly have to question what I remember sometimes if it was real or not so please forgive my stupidity. I really hate this crap and wish I could get it out of my body.

Mods:
Custom bent 2 1/2" High Performance Catback Exhaust with Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Weapon R Dragon cold air intake with optional ram air charge and heat shield, Chrome Trim around wheel wells, Ugraded Tire Width to 215/60/15 from stock 195/65/15, Rear Wing, Racing stripes, Hood scoop, Pin strips, Honda Windows Logo, AM Rims, Rear Speakers

Planned Mods
post #12 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 AM
No longer active

If you think that's bad, I have a story for you (and yes, that sounds about right). When my car was being fixed in the body shop of a Chevy dealer (they have one of the best shops in the area), the shop manager showed me the invoice for a brand new Chevy key with remote (the owner lost his original and ordered the new key) - $180.

Since I can't figure out how to cancel my account, this serves as notice that the above user is no longer an active member of this community.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffislouie View Post
If you and ordered the new key) - $180.
This has to be the biggest scam ever. I mean how much can a key really cost? And then to charge another $50.00 to program it. Come on! How labor intensive is that? Even the valet key was going to cost $100.00

Mods:

Planned Mods
post #14 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
No longer active

It's a laser cut key that has the immobilizer chip, so it costs a lot.
I remember the old days when a set of keys could be made at any hardware store for under $5. Heck, my old Oldsmobile had a messed up key port to start the car and I didn't need the key to start the car. I used to use the keys to open the car, then pocket them and simply twist the starter. The first keyless start system ever!
Truth is, it's expensive (and I agree, it shouldn't be more than $30), but at least the new key will actually protect your car from being stolen, right?

Since I can't figure out how to cancel my account, this serves as notice that the above user is no longer an active member of this community.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffislouie View Post
It's a laser cut key that has the immobilizer chip, so it costs a lot.
I remember the old days when a set of keys could be made at any hardware store for under $5. Heck, my old Oldsmobile had a messed up key port to start the car and I didn't need the key to start the car. I used to use the keys to open the car, then pocket them and simply twist the starter. The first keyless start system ever!
Truth is, it's expensive (and I agree, it shouldn't be more than $30), but at least the new key will actually protect your car from being stolen, right?
Yes I do take some comfort that its much more difficult to steal, but if they are so cheap online you know the dealer is marking them up much higher than they really need to be. If they want to build customer loyalty this is the wrong way to go about it. Even if I didn't buy the car from them, how about impressing me with the best customer service that I will want to go back to them.

Mods:

Planned Mods
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.