Gas gauge reads empty........... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
2004 EX 4 cylinder

Gas gauge reads empty...........

So I hop into my 2004 I4 EX-L (112k) today and the low fuel light starts flashing at me and the tank reads empty. This is kind of odd since I could have swore that I just filled it the other day.
So I immediately drive to the place I normally buy gas at to fill it. While I'm driving there I'm beginning to have all sorts of bad thoughts about some lowlife siphoning my tank. I also notice my trip odometer has only about 60 miles on it since the last trip to the gas station. RRRRRRRR
Once I get to the gas station I begin filling my tank and it only takes a little more than 2 gallons before the nozzle shuts off.
Hooray, nobody stole my gas..............but the fuel gauge still reads dead empty complete with low fuel blinking light. I took a short trip of about 20 miles, gas gauge still reads empty. All other gauges work (speedometer, tachometer, temp).
So....I haven't done anything yet and I have four questions....1) any good guesses what happened?....2) Is there an access panel for the fuel tank to check and see what's happening with the float sensor. 3) If yes....where?
4) Would a broken/disconnected wire give a flat empty signal like that?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderinCage View Post
So I hop into my 2004 I4 EX-L (112k) today and the low fuel light starts flashing at me and the tank reads empty. This is kind of odd since I could have swore that I just filled it the other day.
So I immediately drive to the place I normally buy gas at to fill it. While I'm driving there I'm beginning to have all sorts of bad thoughts about some lowlife siphoning my tank. I also notice my trip odometer has only about 60 miles on it since the last trip to the gas station. RRRRRRRR
Once I get to the gas station I begin filling my tank and it only takes a little more than 2 gallons before the nozzle shuts off.
Hooray, nobody stole my gas..............but the fuel gauge still reads dead empty complete with low fuel blinking light. I took a short trip of about 20 miles, gas gauge still reads empty. All other gauges work (speedometer, tachometer, temp).
So....I haven't done anything yet and I have four questions....1) any good guesses what happened?....2) Is there an access panel for the fuel tank to check and see what's happening with the float sensor. 3) If yes....where?
4) Would a broken/disconnected wire give a flat empty signal like that?

Thanks in advance.
Bad sending unit? Bad ground?

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #3 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo069 View Post
Bad sending unit? Bad ground?
Probably a good place to start. The blinking/flashing is of interest (mine just glows - - - no blink; no flash). Here's hoping OP can locate a competent auto electrician dude....

ez..

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)

post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
Probably a good place to start. The blinking/flashing is of interest (mine just glows - - - no blink; no flash). Here's hoping OP can locate a competent auto electrician dude....

ez..
Didn't notice that. OP, does the light just come on or is it blinking/flashing? It's not supposed to do that. It's light is just supposed to be either on or off.

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #5 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
2004 EX 4 cylinder

The light is blinking on for about one second and then off for one second,

(then on for one second and off for one second, then on for one second and off for one second, then on for one second and off for one second, repeat).

The frequency seems constant while sitting in the driveway, I'll have to take a drive and see if there's any change, but I don't think there was when I took my short trip previously.

Just to be clear, this is a round orange light just below the E on the fuel gauge. Since there's no more online manual, I'm guessing that it is the low fuel light.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
4th Gear

i also think that i should be blinking. Something wrong with the connection maybe, due to the light on and off? if you run out of fuel, it will stay on all the time. maybe some connection problem, or did honda using one of those floating sensor? maybe sensor problem?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure what to tell you about the blinking yellow light, but I had an 06 sedan where the gauge read empty yet it only took a gallon or two to top it off but, my fuel light was on solid. No blinking. I checked online but got no helpful answers. So I jumped the gun and went to the fuel pump. Sure enough, the float had popped out of its nest and lost contact. I carefully placed the float back into the nest and the gauge worked as it should.
But, like I'd mentioned, my light was always on, not blinking.
If you do decide to check on the fuel pump, please do so safely in a well ventilated area and make sure so source of ignition is nearby.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
4th Gear

Well you are at the right number of years to start having corrosion and grounds becoming an issue. As said above, I would start checking connections and grounds associated with it. I have had more than my fair share of electrical jobs with cars. Also a multimeter comes in handy for testing all the components.

Her name is Nikki and she runs like a banshee: 07 4dr Ex-L V6 6mt - Bronze

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 AM
My First Post

Same Issue same fic

Hi All

I had the exact same issue that the lights starts to blink and on opening up the fuel pump the lead wire was snapped

Thank you for this valuable site
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.