Switched from Honda Z-1 to DW-1 trans fluid. Noticeable shift quality change. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Switched from Honda Z-1 to DW-1 trans fluid. Noticeable shift quality change.

I just did a 3x3 drain and fill using Honda's new DW-1 auto transmission fluid on my 07 V6 auto. Boy huge difference for my car. The shift is much firmer without that gliding over smooth shift feeling. The gears engage milliseconds faster compare to before. Going from R to D or D to R is quicker with perhaps a half second shaved off. I used to have to hold the brake until I know the gear was in before I started moving. I think this will solve a lot of auto transmission issues.

Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Low Gear

When I did my DW1 change, wow. I typed the same review as you. 2-3 months later now, the AT feels kind of the same as before, as I remembered it.

I no longer think it's the miracle ATF. It's good. It's Honda ATF. So it's what I will (continue) to use.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #3 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 AM
6th Gear

Honda ATF is BAD... OP, if you noticed that much of a difference with DW-1, you should switch to Redline Racing/Lightweight Racing Type F synthetic. I have it in my 06 AV6 and it has completely changed the attitude of the car. I have a couple threads here that I've made about it. DW-1 still has friction modifiers which make the clutches/internal parts wear... Type-F fluid has no friction modifiers so (in basic terms) it makes for instant shifts without lag, and in turn, wears the internals much less. So your DW-1 may help if it has less friction modifiers, but the Redline Racing/Lightweight Racing will help much more... Big difference

2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy

post #4 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM
6th Gear

I use redline but stay with D4..
post #5 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
5th Gear

I think that the Dw1 is a better fluid but I certainly think Redline D4 is better than Dw1.

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #6 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Honda ATF is BAD... OP, if you noticed that much of a difference with DW-1, you should switch to Redline Racing/Lightweight Racing Type F synthetic. I have it in my 06 AV6 and it has completely changed the attitude of the car. I have a couple threads here that I've made about it. DW-1 still has friction modifiers which make the clutches/internal parts wear... Type-F fluid has no friction modifiers so (in basic terms) it makes for instant shifts without lag, and in turn, wears the internals much less. So your DW-1 may help if it has less friction modifiers, but the Redline Racing/Lightweight Racing will help much more... Big difference
When you get to 200k miles, let me know by then whether you are still living large on that no FM Redline fluid.
post #7 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
5th Gear

Let me make a point here. Redline recommends D4 in our cars not the others. I would personally only run D4.

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #8 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncelk View Post
I think that the Dw1 is a better fluid but I certainly think Redline D4 is better than Dw1.
On what grounds do you think DW1 is better than the Type F, but D4 is better than Dw1? Makes no sense because Type F is better for your car than D4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
When you get to 200k miles, let me know by then whether you are still living large on that no FM Redline fluid.
SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncelk View Post
Let me make a point here. Redline recommends D4 in our cars not the others. I would personally only run D4.
Your point is moot because while they recommend D4 for our cars, they CANNOT recommend a Type F for our cars for liability reasons simply because its named "racing fluid". Doesn't mean anything in the way of reliability, all you have to do is read up on what friction modifiers do to a transmission.

You all should really read this thread

+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
post #9 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I just did a 3x3 drain and fill using Honda's new DW-1 auto transmission fluid on my 07 V6 auto. Boy huge difference for my car. The shift is much firmer without that gliding over smooth shift feeling. The gears engage milliseconds faster compare to before. Going from R to D or D to R is quicker with perhaps a half second shaved off. I used to have to hold the brake until I know the gear was in before I started moving. I think this will solve a lot of auto transmission issues.
How many miles on old fluid?

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You all should really read this thread
I was ON this thread. But unless you can prove the long term reliability to me, I can't use that fluid. I ran Z1 on my old 98 V6 transmission for 200k miles. Granted that I had second gear slippage problems by the time I sold the car (probably due to age), but I got there without a transmission rebuild and avoided all major transmission work.

And on what grounds can you say that type F is safe?! Don't stick your foot in your own mouth by saying on what grounds can you say DW1 is better than F?
post #11 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM
6th Gear

Why dont you just use what the heck you want to and stop other people your right no your wrong no your right....Use what the heck you want to.....
post #12 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
I was ON this thread. But unless you can prove the long term reliability to me, I can't use that fluid. I ran Z1 on my old 98 V6 transmission for 200k miles. Granted that I had second gear slippage problems by the time I sold the car (probably due to age), but I got there without a transmission rebuild and avoided all major transmission work.

And on what grounds can you say that type F is safe?! Don't stick your foot in your own mouth by saying on what grounds can you say DW1 is better than F?
On what grounds can I say Type F is safe? You say you were in that thread... Did you actually READ that thread? Its simple in theory and any reasonable person can comprehend it. I'm not going to go through the significance of FM vs. Non-FM again.

I in no way shape or form put my foot in my mouth. It's 100% common sense... But I guess common sense isn't so common.

I could care less what you use really. I tried, but if you want to believe in Honda that much, go ahead.

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
post #13 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
This is the same thing I'm waiting on hearing about.
post #14 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear

I just ordered new 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches and will be doing a 3X3 of Redline Racing ATF soon!
post #15 of 81 Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuron View Post
I just ordered new 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches and will be doing a 3X3 of Redline Racing ATF soon!
Good stuff.

+ Desert Mist
= Sexy
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.