Timing Belt replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Timing Belt replacement

Reading the owner's manual mentions that timing belt should be replaced around 100K miles or 7 years.
Well my 2004 accord LX v6 model has 73,000 miles and it's almost 7 years.
Do you guys go by the mileage or the length of time.
Also the mechanic says when replacing the timing belt you should at the same time replace the water pump is that true?

Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
5th Gear

It all TRUE

post #3 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal20 View Post
Reading the owner's manual mentions that timing belt should be replaced around 100K miles or 7 years.
Well my 2004 accord LX v6 model has 73,000 miles and it's almost 7 years.
Do you guys go by the mileage or the length of time.
Also the mechanic says when replacing the timing belt you should at the same time replace the water pump is that true?
I would defer to mileage over time in part because like oil, a rubber belt will not degrade as fast from non-use as it would being used and also is the car used in severe duty with high heat and humidity or the other extreme or is it light duty in mild or moderate climate? I use my 06vtec v6 in severe climate so everything is failing or wearing out about 10 percent faster. I use about 100k in 5 years.

post #4 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I haven't changed the belt in my 03 yet, at 87k miles. I took the front cover off, and the belt shows no signs of wear, oil, or coolant, so I'm in no hurry. Call me crazy, but I don't think the belt is about to give out any time soon.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #5 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I haven't changed the belt in my 03 yet, at 87k miles. I took the front cover off, and the belt shows no signs of wear, oil, or coolant, so I'm in no hurry. Call me crazy, but I don't think the belt is about to give out any time soon.
new engine will cost more than what car is worth
post #6 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 PM
out of control

Quote:
Timing belts don't show any signs of wear, they just snap. Better be safe than sorry, especially if it's something that has to be done.

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AccordEx-L View Post
Timing belts don't show any signs of wear, they just snap. Better be safe than sorry, especially if it's something that has to be done.
Sure they do. They start to crack and you don't want to get to that point. I've never seen a Honda t/belt look bad at it's recommended interval and we do a lot of them. I would do it at the mileage instead of the time unless you live in extreme temp zone(hot/cold)

2005 Accord EXL V6
2010 Rav4 Limited
2001 Civic LX 4dr 220K miles and still counting
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)
post #8 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I hang around on quite a few forums, and I haven't heard of a timing belt breaking, on a J30 engine yet. That tells me they aren't prone to breaking. I will change it, before I get to the mileage limit (105k), but I'm willing to bet it would go to 200k or more. I'm under 87k right now.

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #9 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Just had my timing belt, serpentine belt and water pump and fluids added for a total price of $503.
post #10 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 AM
out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShifter View Post
Sure they do. They start to crack and you don't want to get to that point. I've never seen a Honda t/belt look bad at it's recommended interval and we do a lot of them. I would do it at the mileage instead of the time unless you live in extreme temp zone(hot/cold)
You may be talking about the serpentine belt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 AM
out of control

Quote:
I hang around on quite a few forums, and I haven't heard of a timing belt breaking, on a J30 engine yet. That tells me they aren't prone to breaking. I will change it, before I get to the mileage limit (105k), but I'm willing to bet it would go to 200k or more. I'm under 87k right now.
I don't know about radio-pro.ru but on V6P there are at least two guys who had to get their engine replaced because of the broken timing belt. It's your call. You know you're gonna have to do it, might as well replace it so you don't have to do it, and at the same time you're insuring it won't snap on you. Jus sayin...

post #12 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
I don't know about radio-pro.ru but on V6P there are at least two guys who had to get their engine replaced because of the broken timing belt.
The interference design (and inherent potential for great damage following TB failure) must be weighed against the low likelihood component. I'm no gambler; the 105,000 service - while pricey - will ease my peace of mind.

A new engine (or major rebuild) is a big deal.

ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #13 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy06VtecV6 View Post
I would defer to mileage over time in part because like oil, a rubber belt will not degrade as fast from non-use as it would being used and also is the car used in severe duty with high heat and humidity or the other extreme or is it light duty in mild or moderate climate? I use my 06vtec v6 in severe climate so everything is failing or wearing out about 10 percent faster. I use about 100k in 5 years.
It's a rap and done deal...like we said, do it by mileage unless you live in extreme temp region, primarily hot but also the evil cold! Sounds to me like you live in average weather which is less exciting to maintain. oh well, it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShifter View Post
post #14 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
This is a quote, from the V6 factory shop manual, page 6-13, under timing belt inspection:

"Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant soaking. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is oil or coolant soaked. Remove any oil or solvent that gets on the belt."

So why would the Helm manual say this, if i was supposed to change the belt regardless? I'm not going to change a perfectly good belt, at least not yet.

post #15 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM
banned

Quote:
This is a quote, from the V6 factory shop manual, page 6-13, under timing belt inspection:

"Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant soaking. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is oil or coolant soaked. Remove any oil or solvent that gets on the belt."

So why would the Helm manual say this, if i was supposed to change the belt regardless? I'm not going to change a perfectly good belt, at least not yet.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.