Timing Belt replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timing Belt replacement

Reading the owner's manual mentions that timing belt should be replaced around 100K miles or 7 years.
Well my 2004 accord LX v6 model has 73,000 miles and it's almost 7 years.
Do you guys go by the mileage or the length of time.
Also the mechanic says when replacing the timing belt you should at the same time replace the water pump is that true?

jackal20 is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
5th Gear

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 948
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
It all TRUE

Rattmann is offline
post #3 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
banned

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal20 View Post
Reading the owner's manual mentions that timing belt should be replaced around 100K miles or 7 years.
Well my 2004 accord LX v6 model has 73,000 miles and it's almost 7 years.
Do you guys go by the mileage or the length of time.
Also the mechanic says when replacing the timing belt you should at the same time replace the water pump is that true?
I would defer to mileage over time in part because like oil, a rubber belt will not degrade as fast from non-use as it would being used and also is the car used in severe duty with high heat and humidity or the other extreme or is it light duty in mild or moderate climate? I use my 06vtec v6 in severe climate so everything is failing or wearing out about 10 percent faster. I use about 100k in 5 years.
Ilovemy06VtecV6 is offline

post #4 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM
BRWNFLSH now

BLCKFLSH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
location: Thibodaux Louisiana
Posts: 6,764
Thanks: 253
Thanked 618 Times in 539 Posts
I haven't changed the belt in my 03 yet, at 87k miles. I took the front cover off, and the belt shows no signs of wear, oil, or coolant, so I'm in no hurry. Call me crazy, but I don't think the belt is about to give out any time soon.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
BLCKFLSH is online now
post #5 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 948
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I haven't changed the belt in my 03 yet, at 87k miles. I took the front cover off, and the belt shows no signs of wear, oil, or coolant, so I'm in no hurry. Call me crazy, but I don't think the belt is about to give out any time soon.
new engine will cost more than what car is worth
Rattmann is offline
post #6 of 67 Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 PM
out of control

07AccordEx-L's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
location: South Mississippi
Posts: 2,302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I haven't changed the belt in my 03 yet, at 87k miles. I took the front cover off, and the belt shows no signs of wear, oil, or coolant, so I'm in no hurry. Call me crazy, but I don't think the belt is about to give out any time soon.
Timing belts don't show any signs of wear, they just snap. Better be safe than sorry, especially if it's something that has to be done.

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07AccordEx-L is offline
post #7 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

BullShifter's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
location: Huntley, IL
Posts: 231
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AccordEx-L View Post
Timing belts don't show any signs of wear, they just snap. Better be safe than sorry, especially if it's something that has to be done.
Sure they do. They start to crack and you don't want to get to that point. I've never seen a Honda t/belt look bad at it's recommended interval and we do a lot of them. I would do it at the mileage instead of the time unless you live in extreme temp zone(hot/cold)

2005 Accord EXL V6
2010 Rav4 Limited
2001 Civic LX 4dr 220K miles and still counting
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)
BullShifter is offline
post #8 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
BRWNFLSH now

BLCKFLSH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
location: Thibodaux Louisiana
Posts: 6,764
Thanks: 253
Thanked 618 Times in 539 Posts
I hang around on quite a few forums, and I haven't heard of a timing belt breaking, on a J30 engine yet. That tells me they aren't prone to breaking. I will change it, before I get to the mileage limit (105k), but I'm willing to bet it would go to 200k or more. I'm under 87k right now.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
BLCKFLSH is online now
post #9 of 67 Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had my timing belt, serpentine belt and water pump and fluids added for a total price of $503.
jackal20 is offline
post #10 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 AM
out of control

07AccordEx-L's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
location: South Mississippi
Posts: 2,302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShifter View Post
Sure they do. They start to crack and you don't want to get to that point. I've never seen a Honda t/belt look bad at it's recommended interval and we do a lot of them. I would do it at the mileage instead of the time unless you live in extreme temp zone(hot/cold)
You may be talking about the serpentine belt...

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07AccordEx-L is offline
post #11 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 AM
out of control

07AccordEx-L's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
location: South Mississippi
Posts: 2,302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I hang around on quite a few forums, and I haven't heard of a timing belt breaking, on a J30 engine yet. That tells me they aren't prone to breaking. I will change it, before I get to the mileage limit (105k), but I'm willing to bet it would go to 200k or more. I'm under 87k right now.
I don't know about radio-pro.ru but on V6P there are at least two guys who had to get their engine replaced because of the broken timing belt. It's your call. You know you're gonna have to do it, might as well replace it so you don't have to do it, and at the same time you're insuring it won't snap on you. Jus sayin...

2006 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navigation

Previous:2007 Accord i4 5AT

My 7th Gen V6 6 Speed Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07AccordEx-L is offline
post #12 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 AM
6th Gear

ezshift5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
location: ..Freeport (CA)
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 4
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AccordEx-L View Post
I don't know about radio-pro.ru but on V6P there are at least two guys who had to get their engine replaced because of the broken timing belt.
The interference design (and inherent potential for great damage following TB failure) must be weighed against the low likelihood component. I'm no gambler; the 105,000 service - while pricey - will ease my peace of mind.

A new engine (or major rebuild) is a big deal.

ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
ezshift5 is offline
post #13 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
banned

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy06VtecV6 View Post
I would defer to mileage over time in part because like oil, a rubber belt will not degrade as fast from non-use as it would being used and also is the car used in severe duty with high heat and humidity or the other extreme or is it light duty in mild or moderate climate? I use my 06vtec v6 in severe climate so everything is failing or wearing out about 10 percent faster. I use about 100k in 5 years.
It's a rap and done deal...like we said, do it by mileage unless you live in extreme temp region, primarily hot but also the evil cold! Sounds to me like you live in average weather which is less exciting to maintain. oh well, it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShifter View Post
Sure they do. They start to crack and you don't want to get to that point. I've never seen a Honda t/belt look bad at it's recommended interval and we do a lot of them. I would do it at the mileage instead of the time unless you live in extreme temp zone(hot/cold)
Ilovemy06VtecV6 is offline
post #14 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM
BRWNFLSH now

BLCKFLSH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
location: Thibodaux Louisiana
Posts: 6,764
Thanks: 253
Thanked 618 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07AccordEx-L View Post
Timing belts don't show any signs of wear, they just snap. Better be safe than sorry, especially if it's something that has to be done.
This is a quote, from the V6 factory shop manual, page 6-13, under timing belt inspection:

"Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant soaking. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is oil or coolant soaked. Remove any oil or solvent that gets on the belt."

So why would the Helm manual say this, if i was supposed to change the belt regardless? I'm not going to change a perfectly good belt, at least not yet.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
BLCKFLSH is online now
post #15 of 67 Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM
banned

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
This is a quote, from the V6 factory shop manual, page 6-13, under timing belt inspection:

"Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant soaking. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is oil or coolant soaked. Remove any oil or solvent that gets on the belt."

So why would the Helm manual say this, if i was supposed to change the belt regardless? I'm not going to change a perfectly good belt, at least not yet.


Ilovemy06VtecV6 is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


xxr 526 whitehonda crv sunshadevossen thailandhonda mdx problemshonda accord 1996kia spectra coiloversaccord cl7 euro r95 honda accord transmissionblackfire crystal sealhonda crv water pump replacementcost of replacing power steering hosehonda ridgeline reliability issuesobdii port2003 honda crv transmission problemshonda civic tire size 2008honda civic 2002 bumperhalo lights for honda accordpro honda hp coolant2000 honda accord shift solenoid94 accord engine swapsuspension strut replacement costhow to install carbon fiber vinylkenwood dnx9980honda accord h22 swaphonda civic 8th genkonig tunerrotors and brake pads cost autozonecar salesman commissionlow profile trailer hitchk sport brake padsacura rsx maintenancewhy do wiper blades chatteraccord v6 transmission problemsinstalling vent visorsh10 bulb same as 90052011 hyundai sonata problemsmaaco price quotehonda civic navigation updatehonda accord tech350z mid piperemote start transponder bypasshow much does a 100 000 mile tune up costcost of replacing power steering hoseddm huntington beach2007 honda ridgeline catalytic converter2004 honda pilot timing belthonda accord lease dealsmazdaspeed 3 aftermarket wheelsacura rdx winter tiresmichelin vs goodyearwhat is coasting drivinghonda check tpms systemo2 heater circuit bank1 sensor2honda accord 2005 transmission problemsalpine type r subspower steering pulley noisehow do you know if your pcv valve is badhankook optimusfalken tire rackflushing automatic transmission1990 honda accord ignition coilohm factory2003 honda accord timing belt replacement cost9th gen civic jdmhow to remove toyota emblemreconditioned oem wheels2000 honda odyssey radiator replacementalpine type r generationshondata stickeralpine type r 5.25oil for 99 honda accord