V6 6MT vs Acura TSX 6MT - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V6 6MT vs Acura TSX 6MT

Okay -- your opinions, please:

A colleague of mine drives a new Acura TSX 6MT...I drive an 06 Accord V6 6MT. We're having a friendly debate that I'd love some help in settling; it has two points...so, between the TSX 6MT and V6 6MT:

a) for an enthusiast-level, single driver (i.e., no family members/pets/in-laws to schlep around...and a person who really likes to drive -- i.e., he/she would NEVER own a Taurus or a Malibu or a -- gasp! -- Solara), which car is better?

b) since they have nearly identical sticker prices, which car is the better value?

SunsFan32 is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda Friendly

CM5sedan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
location: Hacienda Heights
Posts: 164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to CM5sedan
for me. I will go for the TSX. which is.. the real Accord in Japan and Euro.
the accord we have is call Inspire in Japan, and they only got 4 doors v6 model.
I will go for TSX cuz of style ( still got 4 drs for some daily use. )
it is an Acura ( well, it is a honda )
better track performace...?
I cannot really list out my point. but I will go for TSX for sure.

CM5sedan is offline
post #3 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Can you say 270HP?

Accord4Life's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Accord is better in terms of straightline performance. But requires slight swapping of parts from the TL and TSX to really be good as a drivers car.

The TSX is better in terms of all around value. It's just a more balanced vehicle right out of the box.

Mike

Current:
2004 ACURA TL ASPEC 6spd
2006 Honda Accord LX V6
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P., 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001, 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
Accord4Life is offline

post #4 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Out of Control

VTECaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2004
location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say the TSX is the better driver's car. The Accord V6 has the straight line power, but thats it.

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
VTECaddict is offline
post #5 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Super Slickness...

joerockt's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In reality, all the Accord has on the TSX is the V6. Other then that, the TSX is an incredible value for what you get with the car standard. And with just a few suspension mods, the thing becomes a handling monster.

You guys should swap cars for a day I think they both have great attributes...
joerockt is offline
post #6 of 17 Old 04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Rule Enforcer

stevencrosbie's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 8,218
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
I agree. The TSX is a better handling car, but the Accord is not bad w/ the TL Sway bar.

Lets see, Accord is: Much larger, cheaper, Insurance is a ton cheaper, total sleeper (haha..no cops), LED tailights, V6 Smoothness & Power, No premium Fuel, better gas mileage, less engine noise, and the 6MTis pretty Exclusive.

TSX=Better handling out of the box, easier to find in 6MT, Pearl White, Better Warranty (like you need it), Acura Name, Nice stereo, Better looking).

I think its a wash. I know I had a tough decision, but the V6 is so much better than the 4 for smoothness and I don't want to be forced to shift 7k all of the time to get a little passing power. The TSX was more money, more to insure, too small, and you can still feel the 4 cylinder vibrations and resonance every once in a while.

They are two different cars aimed at two different sets of people. Ironic is the TSX was aimed directly at my age group, but I only wanted the TL (not my age group).
stevencrosbie is offline
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

SSMV6's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Don't forget the TSX also has HID's, Memory Seats (only, not mirrors) and BT standard.

I'd still go for the Accord 6MT unless you don't mind paying for the $5k price difference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
I agree. The TSX is a better handling car, but the Accord is not bad w/ the TL Sway bar.

Lets see, Accord is: Much larger, cheaper, Insurance is a ton cheaper, total sleeper (haha..no cops), LED tailights, V6 Smoothness & Power, No premium Fuel, better gas mileage, less engine noise, and the 6MTis pretty Exclusive.

TSX=Better handling out of the box, easier to find in 6MT, Pearl White, Better Warranty (like you need it), Acura Name, Nice stereo, Better looking).

I think its a wash. I know I had a tough decision, but the V6 is so much better than the 4 for smoothness and I don't want to be forced to shift 7k all of the time to get a little passing power. The TSX was more money, more to insure, too small, and you can still feel the 4 cylinder vibrations and resonance every once in a while.

They are two different cars aimed at two different sets of people. Ironic is the TSX was aimed directly at my age group, but I only wanted the TL (not my age group).
SSMV6 is offline
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2006, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsFan32
Okay -- your opinions, please:

A colleague of mine drives a new Acura TSX 6MT...I drive an 06 Accord V6 6MT. We're having a friendly debate that I'd love some help in settling; it has two points...so, between the TSX 6MT and V6 6MT:

a) for an enthusiast-level, single driver (i.e., no family members/pets/in-laws to schlep around...and a person who really likes to drive -- i.e., he/she would NEVER own a Taurus or a Malibu or a -- gasp! -- Solara), which car is better?

b) since they have nearly identical sticker prices, which car is the better value?
Answer a) For a car enthusiast, someone who likes to drive, my opinion would be the V6 is the better car.

Why? Because in everyday driving situations, you would almost never use the better handling of the TSX while I find I use the superior acceleration of the AV6 almost everyday. Want to get to that hole in traffic? Downshift a gear or two any you are THERE! Want to dust that ricer Civic in the next lane? No problemo. Want to ditch the tailgaiting a-hole who's been bothering you? Just mash that go pedal! All of these situations bring a smile to my face.

Answer b) This is a lot closer. The TSX does give you alot for your money but so does the Accord. I would say out of the box the TSX is a better value as it gives you some things like HID and memory seats. However if you look at what it would take to get the TSX close to the Accord in acceleration vs. how much it would take the Accord to get better handling, you can argue the Accord is the better value.

Lets see for the TSX, slap on a Comptech SC, thats $5k or so with installation.

For the Accord, springs + TL sway = $500 with install. Add some decent tires and lightweight rims for say $1500, and your looking at an additional $2k.

So in this respect the Accord is the better value

2010 NBP Accord V6 6MT
Mods:
20% Tint

2003 SBP Accord V6 6MT
Mods:
17" Racing Sparco NT-R w/ 225/45ZR17 Dunlop Z1 SS
Tein H-Tech Springs
StopTech Slotted Rotors
Carbotech Brake Pads
AEM CAI

Audio
Head Unit: JVC KD-SH77
Amp: Soundstream TR 500/4
Fronts: Pioneer TS-C520PRS
Rears: Kenwood KFC-X690
Sub: Orion
Scott Si is offline
post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
888

honda761's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
location: the 206 area code.
Posts: 1,771
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never tried the TSX 6-speed but on paper, its a win for the Accord V6.
I 've never meet a street that resembled a track so the V6 is much more practical for me.

And I just have a problem paying over 22 or 23k for a 4 cylinder car even new loaded.

06 EX-L 6 speed V6 sedan, 101K Traded in

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
honda761 is offline
post #10 of 17 Old 04-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

RTexasF's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2004
location: North TX east of Dallas
Posts: 13,595
Thanks: 124
Thanked 213 Times in 147 Posts
I'm not qualified to answer because I haven't driven either one of the cars.

With that in mind, and the inexpensive mods required to make the Accord handle well........there it is, the Accord Sedan V-6 six speed would be my mind's choice. Having said that I would drive both prior to a hard core decision.

The Honda V-6, developing its power on 87 octane, would weigh heavily in my choice.
RTexasF is offline
post #11 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

SSMV6's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I've driven the AT and MT versions of both the TSX and Accord before. In stock trim, the TSX out handles the Accord hands down. It has a better tranny and suspension and it's engine puts out enough power in city speeds. The V6 in the Accord doesn't really shine until you get up to highway speeds or if the car is packed with people and luggage. The current I4 Hondas produce similar power to the V6's a couple of years back and packs enough low end grunt for most people.

An Accord with a 20mm TL rear sway handles almost as well as a stock TSX. It gives you the same quick steering response as the TSX, but because of the softer (feeling) shocks and springs and the heavier weight of the V6, the car still feels less nimble in the twisties than the TSX.

With that said, you should put your priorities straight first. Do you want more comfort, straight-line power, economy and value or do you want a prestigious name plate, bling bling, handling, electronic gizmos, and a higher status symbol at the cost of a bit of power and a few thousand $$$?
SSMV6 is offline
post #12 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Conundrum's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,977
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Si
Answer a) For a car enthusiast, someone who likes to drive, my opinion would be the V6 is the better car.

Why? Because in everyday driving situations, you would almost never use the better handling of the TSX while I find I use the superior acceleration of the AV6 almost everyday. Want to get to that hole in traffic? Downshift a gear or two any you are THERE! Want to dust that ricer Civic in the next lane? No problemo. Want to ditch the tailgaiting a-hole who's been bothering you? Just mash that go pedal! All of these situations bring a smile to my face.

Answer b) This is a lot closer. The TSX does give you alot for your money but so does the Accord. I would say out of the box the TSX is a better value as it gives you some things like HID and memory seats. However if you look at what it would take to get the TSX close to the Accord in acceleration vs. how much it would take the Accord to get better handling, you can argue the Accord is the better value.

Lets see for the TSX, slap on a Comptech SC, thats $5k or so with installation.

For the Accord, springs + TL sway = $500 with install. Add some decent tires and lightweight rims for say $1500, and your looking at an additional $2k.

So in this respect the Accord is the better value

lol its kinda funny actually...because back when I was still deciding I was stuck between the RSX Type-S and the Accord V6 6spd...in the end I decided on the Accord of course, and my reasoning really was that for everyday usage, the V6's power fit better than the handing on the Type-S since I have a long highway commute every day to get into/home from work. If I was going to the track a lot, then the Type-S would have been better, or if I drove a lot of twisty mountain roads, but in reality the V6 6spd's handling is more than adequate for cornering, lane changing, etc, etc.

I should also state that I have the HFP suspension on the car and never drove it with the stock (except for a V6 Auto I took out on a test drive), and plan on upgrading the tires when its time and trying the 19mm or 20mm TL swaybar mod sometime over the summer. Figured it would be easier to upgrade the Accord's handling than to upgrade the RSX's power (without doing massive modifications voiding the powertain's warranty).

Still somewhat bitter Comptech never finished that supercharger for the 7th gens...30 more hp would have been nice...

radio-pro.ru Moderator -- Personal attacks against members will NOT be tolerated...
2006 Graphite Grey Accord EX-V6 6MT Coupe
MODS: HFP Suspension, AEM V2, V6P J-Pipe, TL 20mm RSB, Comptech Short Shifter, Corsport Bushings, Groundkit, HIRs, Spoiler, ClearGuard Clearbra, Splashguards, WT Floorliners, PA11-HON2, TL Keyfob
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Conundrum is offline
post #13 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 08:25 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

SSMV6's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
Still somewhat bitter Comptech never finished that supercharger for the 7th gens...30 more hp would have been nice...
It's better that they didn't finish the SC than make one that would produce minimal gains (only a 30hp increase in a 240hp 3.0L engine?) at the cost of engine reliability and durability! Not really worth the $5000 Comptech is going to tack onto the SC. It also shows how efficient the 3.0L V6 already is!
SSMV6 is offline
post #14 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

Join Date: Mar 2006
location: Boston
Posts: 154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A key difference is the HID headlights. Read Car & Driver review. It's the TSX, Accord V6, G6 GTP, and Jetta GLI. GLI wins, and the Accord finishes 2nd, and the TSX 3rd.

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring (CobbTuning AccessPort & Air Intake)
edboc is offline
post #15 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Rule Enforcer

stevencrosbie's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 8,218
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Which shows both are a good choice....just have their differences. I think Honda has two hits b/c they are both great cars. I mean....they really aren't loosing b/c most of us cross shopped them. Honda makes out either way.

stevencrosbie is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


fully synthetic oil brandsaftermarket headrestbrakes screechbackup camera for honda odyssey2010 honda accord consumer reviewshonda maintenance minder bcivic rear disc brake conversionpassword jdm license plate relocatorhonda civic running hot2004 honda civic ex problemsacura tsx back seat fold downhonda civic remote battery2013 honda accord two doorhonda accord 2012 oil filterwhats i vtecthe shocker symboltsw nurburgring 5x108compress brake caliperhonda dealer key replacement costacura rsx maintenancehow to adjust clutch pedal heightidler bearing noise2004 honda civic air fuel ratio sensor2007 honda accord serpentine beltwagner thermoquiet ceramic brake padshonda civic automatic transmission fluid capacityviper alarm remote programming45k in milesradiator 1998 honda accord2003 acura tl type s problems1997 honda accord specsacura 3.2 tl engineserpentine belt tightnessunity strutsacura tsx back seat fold down0w 20 synthetic oil hondahonda vtec solenoidmonroe ceramic brake padsamsoil synthetic transmission fluidhonda accord 2005 navigationgt 1 synthetic blend oilredstuff brake pads2009 honda crv air conditioner problemsrims for acura tsxsrs honda civicg35 exhaustmagnaflow honda civicleaking schrader valveingalls camber2000 honda civic power steering fluid2000 acura rl problemsmaaco paint job before and afteravs side window deflectors7440 ledairbag symbol on dashcree led headlight bulbsparking brake loosetsx rear diffuserhonda pilot fuellyny tint ticketstagger rims2004 honda accord lengthhonda exl vs exbig o tires dallas txcivic timing belt replacement costs2000 forumshonda accord sport vs ex llkqselfservereset vsc light2008 honda civic fuse box diagramnissan sentra dash lightshonda tire warranty road hazardhonda accord accessories 2006which fuse controls the cigarette lighter2007 power steering pumpsmoked halo projector headlights