What's the sunroof visor for? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

What's the sunroof visor for?

I picked up a 2003 EX coupe that has a factory Honda accessory sunroof visor. I get that it will keep rain out with the roof open at highway speeds but I don't drive like that. Is there any other reason to keep it? It blocks almost half the view out the sunroof.

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
7th Gear

It also stops the vibration you get inside the car when windows are up and roof is open.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT

Send a message via AIM to LFSoccer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to LFSoccer2k6
It does a good job at quieting the noise at higher speeds as well.

2007 NHBP EX-L V6 Sedan 5AT
CarDomain:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Documents:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
It also stops the vibration you get inside the car when windows are up and roof is open.
True but that's only at certain speeds. And opening a window an inch solves that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSoccer2k6 View Post
It does a good job at quieting the noise at higher speeds as well.
Isn't there an air deflector that pops up when you open the roof to stop the vibration and quiet the noise?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
True but that's only at certain speeds. And opening a window an inch solves that.

Isn't there an air deflector that pops up when you open the roof to stop the vibration and quiet the noise?

You asked the question!

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT

Send a message via AIM to LFSoccer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to LFSoccer2k6
Quote:
If that's what you wanna call it...does do jack.

2007 NHBP EX-L V6 Sedan 5AT
CarDomain:

DIY Documents:
post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM
No longer active

Quote:
I picked up a 2003 EX coupe that has a factory Honda accessory sunroof visor. I get that it will keep rain out with the roof open at highway speeds but I don't drive like that. Is there any other reason to keep it? It blocks almost half the view out the sunroof.
It sounds like you want to take it off. So take it off.
It allows you to drive with the roof open, on the highway, at speed? I'm pretty sure a) you don't want to do this and b) that's not what it is designed for. At the very least, this is not a primary function. No one so much as mentions that rain thing on their websites.
The wind deflector is there to reduce wind noise and turbulence in the vehicle when you drive around with the sunroof open. Yes, you can quiet some of the turbulence by opening a window, but again, that's not the point. The point is that YOU DON'T HAVE to open a window to quiet the turbulence AND it reduces noise. Yes, most cars with sunroofs have a blade that pops up to reduce noise and turbulence, but the whole point of the sunroof deflector add on is that it does a better job and further reduces noise, allowing you a more gentle, quiet cabin with the roof open at speed.

If you don't like it, take it off. I've owned a few cars with a sunroof and after a few drives with it open, I got annoyed with the noise level that comes with driving on the highway. I'd usually drive with the sunroof open on surface roads, but when I'd get on the highway, I'd close it and use the vent position instead so I could hear my passengers speak and not get a headache. It's your call. If you hate it, remove it.

Since I can't figure out how to cancel my account, this serves as notice that the above user is no longer an active member of this community.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM
4th Gear

My question is: Does it work ? Compared with just poping up the sunroof without a deflector ?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM
No longer active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolia View Post
My question is: Does it work ? Compared with just poping up the sunroof without a deflector ?
Yes. It decreases wind turbulence and cabin noise when driving with the sunroof open. The downside, as the OP mentioned, is that they tend to clutter the view. It redirects the air so that the bulk of the airflow goes over the sunroof instead of into the car.

Personally, I find them ugly. Window deflectors too, though window deflector mostly allow you to open your window a bit without rain coming in while driving.

I recently helped a friend move stuff from his dad's old house to his place in his sisters SUV. She had wind deflectors on the windows, on the sunroof, and on the hood of the car. It looked awful but with the sunroof open, it was noticeably quieter.

Since I can't figure out how to cancel my account, this serves as notice that the above user is no longer an active member of this community.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I had the moonroof deflector on my old Accord, and it was way more trouble than it was worth. When the roof is wet, the water stays under that thing forever, even after you start driving, so you have to wait a long time for it to dry up, before you can open the roof. Without the deflector, a few minutes after you start driving the water on the roof is gone, and you can open the roof. The deflector only quiets the wind noise slightly. If you are going 65mph or more the wind noise is loud with or without the visor. Needless to say, I wasn't fool enough to buy a visor for my current Accord. Another thing about the visor, is it makes it very difficult to clean under there. Don't buy one, and if the car has one, take it off, IMO. On a side note, window visors are great, and actually serve a purpose.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

They basically look like sh*t and serve no purpose. If a person doesn't like the sunroof open when they drive, then they should not buy a car with a sunroof. Same goes for the jackasses that put their convertible top down, but keep the windows up because they don't like the extra breeze.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

My Wife had an '01 Coupe V6 with one on it, and one day I decided to take the thing off to clean under it. There was a TON of dirt under it, as well as some missing paint from constant rubbing (I installed it correctly). When she went to buy her current '08 Coupe V6 I told her I wasn't going to put another one of those things on and ruin another new car.

JMTC
Glenn
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.